Ancestry.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry.com

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and subscribing. Which do people think is the best sub to get?
    Attached Files
    Thanks for your time,
    dusty miller

Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    I'm thinking of biting the bullet and subscribing. Which do people think is the best sub to get?
    Hi Dusty,

I’ve just got the UK and Ireland version myself, which suits me most of the time. Having to pay extra for the Fold 3 military stuff is a bit annoying, though. I rarely have any need to look outside of the British Isles, so my current sub is OK for me. In addition, I have a sub to FindMyPast, which gives access to newspapers and has some interesting criminal stuff that Ancestry lacks.

Gary

PS Do you know what the AU$/£ exchange rate is currently?

Comment

Are the Findmypast papers the same as the British Museum papers? I already subscribe to Brit Museum. One Aussie dollar currently buys about 55p. I figure the Aussie/UK option would be all I needed, but just wanted to check what was the best source for jtr related stuff.
      Thanks for your time,
      dusty miller

Comment

Are the Findmypast papers the same as the British Museum papers? I already subscribe to Brit Museum. One Aussie dollar currently buys about 55p. I figure the Aussie/UK option would be all I needed, but just wanted to check what was the best source for jtr related stuff.
        Yes, FMP gives access to the British Newspaper Archive. If youíre looking for genealogical stuff relating to witnesses or possible suspects who were either Brits or who spent much of their life here, then the UK/Irish option should be sufficient. That said, if you find your subject was in the army, youíll have to pay extra for access to those records.

FMP is better on the criminal records IMO. Thereís a thing called the Digital Panopticon which is quite useful for criminal stuff. Itís free, but it often links you back to FMP and a subscription is required to see the detail.

Comment

So would you sat FMP is a better option than Ancestry?
          Thanks for your time,
          dusty miller

Comment

Couldn't speak for FMP Dusty, but it would certainly seem you're getting offered a different deal on Ancestry compared to us Brits:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/subscribe

As Gary says we don't get the military stuff in our basic prices...I went for the £19.99 deal because someone I was interested in at the time emigrated to the USA...but to be honest I haven't used that facility much since then...I have some Irish ancestry though, so who knows where it may go...

You do need to adjust these prices, if as you indicate, the Aussie dollar is trading 55p against the pound - but the answers are interesting...

Dave

Comment

It certainly seems like they are stinging us Aussies.
              Thanks for your time,
              dusty miller

Comment

So would you sat FMP is a better option than Ancestry?
                Probably not, especially if you already have the papers.

They both have their strengths. I donít think Ancestry has the Catholic records that FMP has, the 1893 Catholic census for instance.

I find the public member trees on Ancestry particularly useful, although you must treat them with caution, because they often contain errors. Iíve lost track of how many messages Iíve sent to people whoíve got themselves into a muddle with their trees. Sometimes they welcome the advice, sometimes not...

A gg grandfather of mine was murdered on the Isle of Dogs in 1885. It was a welk-known family story, confirmed by press reports, court records, death cert etc., but someone has him in their tree having been gored to death by a bull in Canada in the 1900s. Iíve pointed the error out to the owner of the tree, but they havenít changed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                  A gg grandfather of mine was murdered on the Isle of Dogs in 1885. It was a welk-known family story, confirmed by press reports, court records, death cert etc., but someone has him in their tree having been gored to death by a bull in Canada in the 1900s. Iíve pointed the error out to the owner of the tree, but they havenít changed it.
                  I do like a nice whelk...mind you I like most seafood...

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                    I do like a nice whelk...mind you I like most seafood...
                    Whoops!

I hate whelks myself, although I like most other seafood. Iím sure Iíve mentioned before that when I was at school (aged 12/13 or so) I had a weekend job at Billingsgate removing whelks from their shells. Some of them were covered in a kind of reproductive foam/slime which had to be washed off. 🤮

I canít even look at them now, although I love cockles and mussels, shrimps and winkles, crab, lobster, scallops etc.

Comment

Someone kindly pointed out to me that in the UK some libraries are making Ancestry (Library Edition) available to their members at home during the virus restrictions. This is normally available only at the library. It seems to vary from library to library - I am a member of two London borough library services, and one is doing this while the other isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X