Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McCarthy Photo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • McCarthy Photo

    This photo of Jack McCarthy, his son ‘Steve’ and his grandson, Jack (all three were ‘Jacks’) appeared in The Mirror of Life (Boxing World) on 8th January, 1902. Jack senior’s face is invisible in the image provided by FMP - can anyone access a clearer version?

  • #2
    Boxing World makes a sarcastic reference to Jack McCarthy in 1902, referring to him as the "maître d'hôte of the hotels de doss."


    Click image for larger version

Name:	McCarthy doss.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	580623

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
      Boxing World makes a sarcastic reference to Jack McCarthy in 1902, referring to him as the "maître d'hôte of the hotels de doss."


      Click image for larger version

Name:	McCarthy doss.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	580623
      McCarthy is a very interesting individual, in my opinion. The two-dimensional ‘slumlord’ characterisation doesn’t do him justice.



      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        This photo of Jack McCarthy, his son ‘Steve’ and his grandson, Jack (all three were ‘Jacks’) appeared in The Mirror of Life (Boxing World) on 8th January, 1902. Jack senior’s face is invisible in the image provided by FMP - can anyone access a clearer version?
        Good find, Gary.Jimmy Smith also managed Pedlar Palmer for a while, in fact he was related to him through marriage IIRC. What a shame we can't see John on this photograph! I have looked for other versions, but no luck.

        I haven't been able to read all the posts on this subject lately but noticed Scott's posts about some mentions of J McCarthy relating to a different man. i did wonder if some related to justin McCarthy and his son, also Justin McCarthy, who were also refered to as snr. and jnr. and were definitley of the class refered to as Esq., although I don't remember what time frame that was during and in what context. Just throwing it in in case anyone is interested!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

          Good find, Gary.Jimmy Smith also managed Pedlar Palmer for a while, in fact he was related to him through marriage IIRC. What a shame we can't see John on this photograph! I have looked for other versions, but no luck.

          I haven't been able to read all the posts on this subject lately but noticed Scott's posts about some mentions of J McCarthy relating to a different man. i did wonder if some related to justin McCarthy and his son, also Justin McCarthy, who were also refered to as snr. and jnr. and were definitley of the class refered to as Esq., although I don't remember what time frame that was during and in what context. Just throwing it in in case anyone is interested!
          There must be a clearer image somewhere. I’ll keep looking.

          There is a list of donors to the People’s Palace fund which includes a John McCarthy Esq, a W. Cressingham (sic) Esq, a John Cooney Esq and a F. Abberline esq. By the 1890s, it would seem that prominent local businessmen were referred to as ’Esqs’.

          There was another similar event with similar attendees where JM Jnr provided some of the entertainment. I’ll see if I can dig that one out. Did Justin Jnr do turns?






          Comment


          • #6
            I was intrigued to hear that JM had some connection with Ching Hook, the black boxer who mysteriously disappeared. I can’t recall whether JM had any connection to ‘Black Jack’ Stevens, who was ‘accidentally’ stabbed to death by Billy Maher. Billy was something of a pugilist himself and definitely had a connection to the McCarthys.

            Comment


            • #7
              One can always order a high resolution copy of any image, but it's not cheap. £30 plus VAT.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
                One can always order a high resolution copy of any image, but it's not cheap. £30 plus VAT.
                From where, RJ? The BNA itself?

                If a better image can’t be found elsewhere, £30 might be an acceptable price to pay to see Jack’s craggy mug.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

                  From where, RJ? The BNA itself?

                  If a better image can’t be found elsewhere, £30 might be an acceptable price to pay to see Jack’s craggy mug.
                  I’ve sent an enquiry to the BNA. Thanks for the heads up, RJ. I wasn’t aware that facility was available.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think the BNA would have scanned a British Library copy, so the BL would be the place to try. Probably the reason the quality is so poor is that it's been scanned from microfilm. Unfortunately the BL catalogue shows the original 1902 volume as "Unfit for use" (the title was just "The Mirror of Life" then). So they may not be willing to photograph it.

                    I'm not sure where else there could be a copy of something like this. Perhaps the library of a London Club, or a stately home?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
                      I think the BNA would have scanned a British Library copy, so the BL would be the place to try. Probably the reason the quality is so poor is that it's been scanned from microfilm. Unfortunately the BL catalogue shows the original 1902 volume as "Unfit for use" (the title was just "The Mirror of Life" then). So they may not be willing to photograph it.

                      I'm not sure where else there could be a copy of something like this. Perhaps the library of a London Club, or a stately home?
                      There are early issues of the publication for sale online, but I haven’t seen one as early as 1902 so far.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
                        I think the BNA would have scanned a British Library copy, so the BL would be the place to try. Probably the reason the quality is so poor is that it's been scanned from microfilm. Unfortunately the BL catalogue shows the original 1902 volume as "Unfit for use" (the title was just "The Mirror of Life" then). So they may not be willing to photograph it.
                        Yes, you're probably right. The British Library has the only listing for this issue in World Cat.

                        This is old news, but some might recall that a photograph of McCarthy is mentioned in a note on Casebook:

                        "In August 2008, the actress Fiona Kendall-Lane appeared at a meeting of the Whitechapel Society to talk about the McCarthy 'dynasty'. Not only did she hint at a family story that John McCarthy may well have seen Mary Kelly's killer emerge from Room 13 (as he apparently kept close watch on Miller's Court day and night) but she also displayed a framed photograph of her noted ancestor. At the present time, this photograph has yet to be published."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post

                          Yes, you're probably right. The British Library has the only listing for this issue in World Cat.

                          This is old news, but some might recall that a photograph of McCarthy is mentioned in a note on Casebook:

                          "In August 2008, the actress Fiona Kendall-Lane appeared at a meeting of the Whitechapel Society to talk about the McCarthy 'dynasty'. Not only did she hint at a family story that John McCarthy may well have seen Mary Kelly's killer emerge from Room 13 (as he apparently kept close watch on Miller's Court day and night) but she also displayed a framed photograph of her noted ancestor. At the present time, this photograph has yet to be published."
                          I think I remember someone who went to that meeting told me that particular framed photograph of McCarthy looked a bit like it was taken from a newspaper.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here's Junior in the 1920s.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	McCarthy  Jr.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	580650

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	17598C80-18C4-4149-8BA2-11C761DB4119.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	580653

                              This photo of Steve is on an Ancestry public member tree. From around 1900?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X