X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice photo. Rob.

Comment

• Thank you Gary. Duly noted.

Incidentally, your McCarthy image in post #16 is likely the Spitalfields-born John McCarthy at #27 Dorset. The one responsible for collecting the rents.

Comment

• Nice photo Rob !!
        My grandpop ( born in Galicia, 1898 ) boxed back in the 1930's here in the States as a middleweight..
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
          Thank you Gary. Duly noted.

Incidentally, your McCarthy image in post #16 is likely the Spitalfields-born John McCarthy at #27 Dorset. The one responsible for collecting the rents.
          Yes, the one who was a grocer and a landlord and who had received a prize for collecting money for hospitals just like Esq and was also his doppelgänger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
            Nice photo Rob !!
            My grandpop ( born in Galicia, 1898 ) boxed back in the 1930's here in the States as a middleweight..
            Thanks How, I always thought my great grandfather was a South Londoner as that was where he ended up.

Comment

• But who was this guy born in Spitalfields Gary, seriously?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                But who was this guy born in Spitalfields Gary, seriously?
                I have no idea, Scott. He may be a clerical error of some kind.

That seems unlikely, but I haven’t been able to find him elsewhere. However, the biographical details that link MJK’s landlord to the boxing promoter are strong enough that I’m not too concerned about who (or even if) the Spitalfields-born man was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

I have no idea, Scott. He may be a clerical error of some kind.

That seems unlikely, but I haven’t been able to find him elsewhere. However, the biographical details that link MJK’s landlord to the boxing promoter are strong enough that I’m not too concerned about who (or even if) the Spitalfields-born man was.

Scott, did you get a complimentary copy of Tom Wescott’s Ripper Confidential?

There’s a chapter in there considering the two McCarthies.

Comment

• No, Tom never sent me a copy.

Comment

Working...
                    X