The Stunning Sobriety of Whitechapel and Spitalfields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stunning Sobriety of Whitechapel and Spitalfields

I was looking at a 'census' conducted by a London based temperance society in April 1885, and noticed some interesting results.

According to their returns for Saturday night, the East End was by far the most sober district in London. It wasn't even close.

Less Drunks in Whitechapel.JPG

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
    I was looking at a 'census' conducted by a London based temperance society in April 1885, and noticed some interesting results.

According to their returns for Saturday night, the East End was by far the most sober district in London. It wasn't even close.

Less Drunks in Whitechapel.JPG
    Thanks. That's interesting, though I think it's fair to note the eastern quarter of the metropolis would cover a much larger area than Whitechapel and Spitalfields.

I was surprised that the numbers of women and children visiting pubs after 9pm were so large.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

Thanks. That's interesting, though I think it's fair to note the eastern quarter of the metropolis would cover a much larger area than Whitechapel and Spitalfields.

I was surprised that the numbers of women and children visiting pubs after 9pm were so large.
      Yes, admittedly my title was written with a little shock value in mind, and I figured I would be called out on it. It's frustrating the survey didn't give more specifics--Mile-End? Bow?-- but perhaps the full report still exists somewhere. I'm also assuming the census takers would have been astute enough to capture a wide spectrum of each district.

The heavy Jewish population in the East End could have skewed the results, somewhat, but it's not unknown for a Jewish chap to break sabbath with a drink or two after sundown...but maybe not in a 'gentile' pub.

But I'm also guessing that drinking in the West End may have been underreported since there is no indication that the Temperance Society scoped out social clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
        Yes, and this trend was higher in the East End than elsewhere. Half as many visitors, yet more children. I think of Alice McKenzie's blind boy.

Comment

I kind of remember reading something about how it was legal back in the 1800s in London for parents to send their kid to a pub with a pail and a coin to purchase some ale. Then the kid would bring it home. I guess those days are long gone.

Comment

Working...
          X