X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary here's the Brown marriage. The civil register has "Oeynhausen."
    Attached Files

Comment

Josef and Maria are listed as married 9 years in the 1911 census. A few weeks later they got married for real.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        Josef and Maria are listed as married 9 years in the 1911 census. A few weeks later they got married for real.
        Did they bump Martha and John Brown off???

Comment

'Carl Von Oeynhausen' is a very prestigious name. A Baron of that name was interned and then repatriated In WWII.

Comment

I'll put Brescher on my to do list. He was 22/3 in 1888, probably used knives in his work, had a record for extreme violence against women, lived at 79, Pennington Street and seems to have dispatched or driven away two wives...

Comment

This was not an Old Bailey case, but it involves Pennington Street and has a German baddy (Bertha Bi(u)ttner) who married a Norwegian. The story is from the S. Wales Echo of 13th April, 1888. It makes you wonder who sponsored Laura Pearce to go to Antwerp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	557445

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                I did a search on Joseph Brescher (post 1. below) and found something odd.

He seems to have married a Mathilde Thorson in Stepney in Sept Q 1899 and then a Marie Brown in STGITE in Sept Q 1911.

There is a death registered for a Matilda Brescher in Stepney in March Q 1900 and on his second marriage Brescher describes himself as a widow. It would appear that the poor lady didn't last long after she married the mad axe man.

Or did she? Two Ancestry trees have her dying in Norway in 1941 (she was Norwegian).

In 1916, Brescher was on a list of enemy aliens and it was stated that his wife was German and iving in Germany. Maria Brown's father was named Ludwig Carl Van (illegible)hausen, so obviously German.

Having recently spent a small fortune on certs for Shippies, Tomkins and Christophersons, I'm reluctant to send off for Matilda B's death cert. But it would be nice to know how she died and whether Joseph or a known address of his is mentioned.
                "Van" can also be Dutch and not necessarily noble, whether or not it started that way. And there is the situation with Ludwig Van Beethoven where the Van meant nothing and he was barred from marrying noble women he loved because he was a commoner.
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                  "Van" can also be Dutch and not necessarily noble, whether or not it started that way. And there is the situation with Ludwig Van Beethoven where the Van meant nothing and he was barred from marrying noble women he loved because he was a commoner.
                  Hi Anna,

Good points, but Oeynhausen is in Germany, so I think there must have been a German link there.

Gary

Comment

I'm afraid what happened to Joseph and Maria is a bit of a mystery. Annoying.

Comment

I'm afraid what happened to Joseph and Maria is a bit of a mystery. Annoying.
                      Reported back to Bismark and were awarded the Iron Cross?

Comment

Mit oak leaf cluster.

Comment

Just looking at the witnesses to Joseph's 1911 marriage.

1911 - Alfred and Annie Sophia Roberts - 44 Burcham St, Poplar.

1900 - Alfred marries Annie Sophia Gunther. Annie says her father Hermann is a poulterer, but I think this is a mishearing for 'an upholsterer.'

1901 - Alfred and Annie are at 6 Artichoke Hill along with a load of Gunthers and an obligatory bunch of McCarthies thrown in.

In 1891, the Gunthers had been at #12.

Comment

Just looking at the witnesses to Joseph's 1911 marriage.

1911 - Alfred and Annie Sophia Roberts - 44 Burcham St, Poplar.

1900 - Alfred marries Annie Sophia Gunther. Annie says her father Hermann is a poulterer, but I think this is a mishearing for 'an upholsterer.'

1901 - Alfred and Annie are at 6 Artichoke Hill along with a load of Gunthers and an obligatory bunch of McCarthies thrown in.

In 1891, the Gunthers had been at #12.
                            That's interesting, Rob.

When Alfred married, he gave his address as 12, Princes Sq. (almost Shovel Alley, my mum was born at no. 11 Swedenborg/Princes St.) and his father's name as Robert Roberts.That rang a bell. The combination of Robert and Alfred Roberts gives only one East End result in 1881, in Ann Street, STGITE. Living with them at the time were three people called John Thurling - my great, great great and great great grandfathers I believe. By 1891 the youngest JT would be living in Lavender Place with his wife and Sullivan in-laws:; by 1895 he had moved to Breezers Hill (my nan was born at no. 3); and by 1901 to Shovel Alley. At one stage lived the family lived at no 25, Mayfields Buildings (aka Shovel Alley),which was where Denis McCarthy, the young man who murdered his 'sweetheart' Rose McCarthy in Cable Street lived.

So it looks like my ancestors may have lived with Joseph Brescher's best man.

Comment

All roads lead to the Barnetts.

Comment

All roads lead to the Barnetts.
                                Alfred Roberts' father, Robert, was born in Pennington Street in 1835.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	557448

Comment

Working...
                                X