replied
    Hi Chris

You may find this source useful :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaMn58Y7ODA

Leave a comment:

• Chris G.
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
    I can't find any mention of the Romans coming over on the incoming passengers. There was a Marion Roman died 12th March 1887 in Richmond County NY.
    Tut tut.

Long before that, indeed some 1,950 years before those Romans got to England, as everyone knows, the Romans came with Julius Caesar!

Et tu. Chris G!!!!????

See here Ripper Playmates --

"Julius Caesar first landed in Britain on August 26th, 55 BC, but it was almost another hundred years before the Romans actually conquered Britain in AD 43. . . ."

In History Today, Vol. 55, No. 8, Aug 2005, Richard Cavendish (feeling much better now, thanks, fans. . .) informed readers via his column:

". . . it is doubtful if [Caesar] was bent on conquest, more likely [he was undertaking] a reconnaissance in strength. He would certainly have hoped to increase his prestige at home [or, alternatively] he might have wanted to postpone a recall to Rome, . . . ."

Hoping to do RipperCon again in Baltimore in Spring 2018, probably in late May or early
    June in Virginia
    Best regards

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Nice find, Gary......thanks very much !

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Here’s some interesting info on the family:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boar...1317345?page=1

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    The knife found at the scene (image from the National Archives):

Click image for larger version

Name:	C70C6DA4-F788-4B29-B21F-F9067B981484.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	559608

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    An Ancestry tree shows Kitty’s paternal grandfather, Francis Roman, as having been born in Hungary in 1825. Her paternal grandmother is shown as Cathrin (Ebers), born in Ireland in 1831. However, the 1880 U.S. census gives their places of births as Germany and England respectively.

Fiona Rule devotes a chapter to Kitty Ronan and says she was of Irish descent. No mention of Hungarian or German ancestry or a New York birth, so I’m guessing the source for the ‘Irish descent’ was the supposed Ronan surname.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    I can't find any mention of the Romans coming over on the incoming passengers. There was a Marion Roman died 12th March 1887 in Richmond County NY.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    Gary

Thanks for the death cert. with the correct surname.
    How,

I haven’t seen the actual cert, but the spelling is certainly Roman in the index.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    When I looked on the GRO the children being born to Annie had mother's name Monk, and I couldn't find any Roman/Monk marriage to account for them. I think it must have been the 1915 one - they got married late.
    I wondered if that might be the case. The POB diffs are presumably red herrings, there was only one wicked stepmother: Annie.

I wonder when Kitty’s mother, Marie, died? She was born in Ireland around 1860. Did she move to London with Andrew?

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    When I looked on the GRO the children being born to Annie had mother's name Monk, and I couldn't find any Roman/Monk marriage to account for them. I think it must have been the 1915 one - they got married late.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    1891 wife: Annie b. 1863 Gloster Clanfield

1901 wife: Annie b. 1865 Clanfield Oxfordsh

1911 wife: Annie b. 1869 Bampton Oxfordshire

in 1911 the marriage was said to have lasted 20 years.

Then there’s a marriage to another Annie (Monk) in 1915.
    But in New York in 1880, Andrew’s wife was Maria, so Annie would indeed have been Kitty’s stepmother.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    1891 wife: Annie b. 1863 Gloster Clanfield

1901 wife: Annie b. 1865 Clanfield Oxfordsh

1911 wife: Annie b. 1869 Bampton Oxfordshire

in 1911 the marriage was said to have lasted 20 years.

Then there’s a marriage to another Annie (Monk) in 1915.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Well, it looks like Dresch couldn't recognize her own daughter. Bizarre.

I was just about to post :

(Weedy bloke going into phone box) "This is a job" ((emerges with deep, booming voice) "for Superfran!"
    Andrew had the same wife in 1891 and 1901, so if this is the right family, then Kitty’s mother must have died when she was seven or younger. Or possibly seventeen or older. Unless the stepmother was impersonating Andrew’s first wife. 😉

The fact that Andrew felt it necessary to mention Kitty being offered a good home after he remarried suggests to me that there may have been some issue between Kitty and her stepmother.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Gary

Thanks for the death cert. with the correct surname.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X