Breaking Peace: wounding.
    12th December 1892
    Reference Number t18921212-124
    Verdict Guilty > lesser offence
    Sentence Imprisonment > hard labour
    Actions Cite this text | Print-friendly version | Report an error
    Navigation < Previous text (trial account) | Next text (trial account) >
    See originalClick to see original
    124. ALBERT EDWARD HAWTHORN (21) , Feloniously wounding Mary Ann Johnson, with intent to murder; Second Count, with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

MESSRS. BODKIN and ELDRIDGE Prosecuted, and MR. GEOGHEGAN

Defended.

MARY ANN JOHNSON . I live at 26, Pearl Street; I occupy a room on the first floor—on the night of 1st December I met the prisoner in

Commercial Street—I had never seen him before—I went with him to my room; he was there with me about five minutes—when he left he appointed to meet me at half-past nine the following night—I met him at the same place at half-past nine, and took him to my room—he asked me to take off my jacket; I would not—he asked me three times, and I did take it off—he pushed me on to the bed, and my head fell on the pillow—he had on a large brown overcoat, the same he has on now; it was fastened by one button at the top—while we were on the bed he put his left arm on my right shoulder, and his right hand down by his side; he drew his hand from his side pocket and cut my throat—I did not notice anything in his hand—I struggled with him, and put my hand to my neck and felt blood—I cried, "Murder!" and "Police!"—I took hold of his hand after I felt the cut—I was still on the bed; he was then standing up by the side of me—I saw a razor in his hand—I got hold of it and broke the handle off it in his hand, and it dropped out of his hand on to the ground—I kicked him, and cried, "Murder!" and "Police!"—I got off the bed, and he came at me again with the razor, and wanted to cut my throat a second time—he had picked it up again—he touched me a second time with it, but only slightly—I had hold of his hand at the time, the one he had the razor in, his right hand—I struggled with him to get up, and in the struggle I cut my hand—when he dropped the razor I ran to the door, unbolted it with one hand, and pulled it open with the other, and ran downstairs—I saw Emma Smith at the foot of the stairs, and said, "That man has cut my throat"—I went out into the court—I don't know what the prisoner did; I think he remained up in my room—I next saw him at the station.

Cross-examined. I had had no quarrel with him; I was surprised when he did it—I don't know why it was done—the razor was in the pocket of his overcoat—I did not put my hand in his pocket to rob him—I did not draw the razor-case out and open it; there was no struggle for it—I did not think the case was a jewel-case; I did not see it at all—it was not in a struggle between us that I got the wound in my throat.

SARAH CLARK . I am the wife of George Clark, and live at 26, Great Pearl Street; I occupy the first floor back—Johnson occupied the front room—on Friday night, 2nd December, about half-past nine, I and my husband were in bed—I heard Johnson and someone else go into her room; it was a man's voice, a loud voice—when he got to the door he asked whether she had a light; I did not distinguish the answer—they went into the room, and the door was shut—there is a door between my room and hers, but that was nailed up—when in the room they started laughing, what about I could not say—it lasted a very few minutes, then they were very quiet; I did not hear any conversation—the next thing I heard was a scream, then a second scream, and she called "Police"—I got out of bed and tried to wake my husband, but being a heavy sleeper he did not wake—I called out, "What are you doing to the woman?"—I then heard the door open, and she went down the stairs, and a short time after I heard someone else go down—as she went down she said, "He tried to cut my throat"—her door was open, and he must have heard her—when the man went down he jumped the last few steps and went out—while the two were in the room I did not

hear any sound of struggling or quarrelling—the stairs go straight down without any turning, and the street door opens on to the stairs.

EMMA SMITH . I live at 26, Wilk Street, leading into Great Pearl Street—on Friday night, December 2nd, about half-past nine, I heard screams from Johnson's room—I went into the passage leading into the court—I think she opened the door—I saw her run downstairs—she made a complaint to me—I saw Margaret Buckley coming up the court—I said something to her—I saw the prisoner come downstairs into the passage—he tried to get away, a man pushed him up the court; he ran up the court—I followed him into Great Pearl Street—he ran, and I saw Timothy Wicks try to stop him; he bad nothing in his hand—I saw him when he was stopped; he was not excited, he seemed quite calm—when Johnson came down she had her hands to her throat—I saw the prisoner's hand at the station; it was bleeding.

MARGARET BUCKLEY . I live at 9, Herne Street—on 2nd December I was in Wilk Court on my way to see Emma Smith—I heard some screams from Johnson's room, and saw her with her hands to her throat—she said something to me, and I sent someone for a policeman—after that I saw the prisoner walking down the court; he had nothing in his hand that I saw—he ran after he came down the court—later on I went into Johnson's room, and there found the broken handle of a razor at the side of the bed—I afterwards went to the Police-station, and made a statement—the prisoner heard me make it; he made no answer.

GEORGE WILLIS . I live at 28, Great Pearl Street—on Friday night, 2nd December, I saw the prisoner and Johnson turn into Wilk Court—a little time afterwards I heard some cries, and I saw the woman come down the court—I afterwards saw the prisoner walking up the court towards Great Pearl Street—I tried to trip him up; he stumbled and ran, and Wicks and Murphy came and took hold of him—he took a pocket-hand kerchief from his pocket, and flung it in the gutter—I picked it up, and next day gave it to the police—this is it.

TIMOTHY WICKS . I am a cooper, and live at 3, Norfolk Gardens—on this night, about half-past nine, I saw the prisoner and Johnson going towards Pearl Street—about ten minutes after I heard cries of "Stop him!"—I saw Johnson with an apron up to her neck and blood all over it—I saw the prisoner running up Pearl Street; I took hold of him—he threw me down; we both fell—two other men came up and helped me—the prisoner said nothing—he was very violent—he was dressed as he is now—I afterwards went to the room with the police—I found this razor-blade underneath the bed; I gave it to the police—there was blood on the pillow and sheet.

Cross-examined. The prisoner was running and seemed excited and in terror.

TIMOTHY MURPHY . I helped to secure the prisoner—he put his hand to his right-hand pocket and said, "If you don't leave me go I will do something for you. "

Cross-examined. When he said that, there was only me and Wicks round him; he and Wicks were struggling together—there was a crowd after him.

ARTHUR JACOBS (77 H). I was in Commercial Street on the night of 2nd December—the prisoner was given into my custody by Cook—he was charged at the station with attempted murder—he made no reply—he

was put into a cell, and in consequence of instructions I watched him from time to time—he was not excited, he was calm; he seemed strange in his manner—after being in his cell for about half an hour he called me—I went to the flap of the cell, and he said, "I intended doing it, I put the razor in my pocket this morning; she was always following me about at night when I came from places of amusement; I have been on the spree for a fortnight"—I searched him at the station, and in his outside pocket I found this razor-case, and in his trousers pocket I found this penknife, also some money.

Cross-examined. I had not time to search him in the street, there was a crowd round him—at the station before he was locked up I took from him all things relating to the charge; I left the money and his watch—the inspector instructed me to watch him—there was a light in the passage, which threw light into the cell—I did not caution him—there was a strange look in his eyes;. he looked rather nervous, not frightened—when the charge was taken a good number of persons were in the room, not all the witnesses; they were called up to the inspectors desk one at a time to give their evidence—he was searched after he was charged—a constable was standing by his side while the people made their statement—I took a note of what he said in the cell passage, and I produce" it.

WALTER BECK (inspector H), I was at the station on the night of 2nd December, when the prisoner was charged by Johnson with cutting her throat with a razor—he made no reply—she made her statement in his presence.

Cross-examined. My desk is about four feet from the dock—the witnesses came to my desk and made their statement, and I took it all down—I have made inquiries about the prisoner—he was employed for some time at Eyre and Spottiswoode's in 1886—since then he went as barman to publicans—his character has been that of a sober, quiet, honest young man—this charge has been a surprise to his late employers.

PERCY JOHN CLARK . I practise as a surgeon at 2, Spital Square—on the night of 2nd December I was called to Commercial Street Station, and there saw the prosecutrix—she was suffering from an incised wound in the throat, which had turned back a flap of skin about an inch and a half in length, and about a quarter of an inch thick—the width of the wound was about two inches—there was another and a smaller wound in the neck, about half an inch long, just through the skin, and a wound about three-quarters of an inch long and a quarter of an inch deep across the inner side of her thumb—the wounds were such as might have been caused by this razor—I was shown the blade at the station—there appeared to be recent blood-stains upon it—I do not think the more serious wound would be likely to be caused by struggling for the razor—the cut was from above downwards—I saw a surface wound on the prisoner's finger—his hands were perfectly steady, and he seemed perfectly calm—I had no conversation with him.

Cross-examined. I examined him before he was charged—I did not notice a nervous look in his eyes—the prosecutrix's wounds are now almost healed—if the wound in the throat had been caused in a struggle, I think it would have been more jagged; this was a clean wound—if in a struggle the edge of the razor had been pushed, it might have been

so caused—a sawing cut, I should expect, would cut through the windpipe—I think the other cuts were probably caused in the struggle—the larger cut was straight down.

The prisoner received a good character.

GUILTY of unlawfully wounding. Eighteen Months' Hard Labour.

View as XML

Section Navigation
    Search Home
    To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
    Howard@jtrforums.com
Working...
X