Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions Regarding The Swanson Marginalia From "The Definitive JTR" Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Brown
    replied
    I don't know about anyone else...but having seen the extraordinary work of Jake Lauukanen in replicating the murder sites....particularly this one for the moment...Dutfield's Yard....I admit I did not realize how risky it would have been had Stride's killer...theoretically the Ripper...made an attempt to mutilate her.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    Dear Mishter B...

I have questions if you and/or John Bennett wouldn't mind responding to. Here is one to start off with.
    It was truly a fine presentation by the way...

1. Was there a reason or decision arrived at to exclude Michael Ostrog's name when the documentary reached the point where the Macnaghten Memo was mentioned ? You state in the 37th minute of the second episode that Macnaghten mentioned " two probable suspects"....
    In the original script, it said that Macnaghten named 3 suspects and Ostrog was included. However, he was dealt with very quickly and we just said he was a confidence trickster who was in prison at the the time.

When the TV bods saw this, they questioned why Ostrog needed to be mentioned if he wasn't in the frame - I know Jeff certainly fought long and hard to keep mention of Ostrog in, but the TV people won out. Therefore, because it looked odd to say three suspects and only name 2, we had to rewrite that bit and say that he named 2. Which is effectively wrong, because he named 3.

A bit of a Giordian Knot, that one.

PS Whoops! Paul got there just before me!
    Last edited by ; January 29, 2011, 07:19 AM. Reason: Cross posts

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Another question I have is based on the comment made at the 20 minute & 13 second mark of the second episode.

You state that the police were 'deluged with hoax communication'....

No argument there. However you state immediately afterwards that..

..." one of which stood out..." and that was in reference to the parcel containing a kidney sent to the Mile End Vigilance Committee leader George Lusk, two weeks after the Double Event.

Is that the view of all or some the writers ....that the Lusk Letter was a hoax ?

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    Dear Mishter B...

I have questions if you and/or John Bennett wouldn't mind responding to. Here is one to start off with.

1. Was there a reason or decision arrived at to exclude Michael Ostrog's name when the documentary reached the point where the Macnaghten Memo was mentioned ? You state in the 37th minute of the second episode that Macnaghten mentioned " two probable suspects"....
    Originally we included Ostrog, but because he was in France at the time of the murders a script editor imposed on us insisted on taking him out because he would confuse the viewers. I could - and can - see what the editor was saying and he was probably right, but when all is said and done I still think it was dumb.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Another question I have is whether or not...since Schwartz appears to be the witness the documentary team chose in the program...anyone involved in the making of the documentary who is a member of the Forums believes it is possible that Anderson based his opinion of Kosminski as being the Ripper on the Berner Street sighting more than any other factor ?

The reason I ask the question ( which is a time worn question to be sure ) in this way is that since Schwartz was believed as having seen Stride assaulted minutes before she was murdered and Anderson states the witness saw the murderer....and Lawende's role isn't really covered that much in the program...it seems that Berner Street/Schwartz figures very prominently in Anderson's decision.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Dear Mishter B...

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    By the way, who paid at that rather fine-looking resaurant? The minimum cost in that place would have exhausted the whole of Jeff's expenses budget twice over! And bumping into Simon Sharma... No, I'm not jealous. Not at all. No way.

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    Not many questions arising from The Definitive Story,which seeing the arrant nonsence it has provoked elsewhere is a good thing, so maybe this thread should be called Jeff Leahy's New York tour! I, too, would love to see the photos. Has he 'gone American', Robert? Bought a woolen hat saying "I Love NY", got himself a puffer jacket, started ordering his eggs sunny side up? I know I did.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Jeff,Bob...

I know one of youse took photos of this memorable caucasian..of you two meeting up in New York....so when possible...put some of the less racy ones on the boards.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• SirRobertAnderson
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
    Thanks for a fantastic night Robert. The food was great, very impressed by the Dali sculptures.

It was great to talk Jack the Ripper, looks like Iève promised the earth on the inside story of Definitive....let me know when you want to put it together and how..
    I had a fine time too. Wasn't that a great steak ? Safe journey back and then How and I will collect the bill.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Leahy
    replied
    Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
    I guess we're not doing 7pm then.......gimme a ring.

Restaurant is Porter House at 10 Columbus Circle but let's talk before you head there.....

Feels like a Ripper dating site....
    Thanks for a fantastic night Robert. The food was great, very impressed by the Dali sculptures.

It was great to talk Jack the Ripper, looks like Iève promised the earth on the inside story of Definitive....let me know when you want to put it together and how..

I managed to get Pauls copy of the A to Z sighed by Simon Schuma this morning. He really is a very nice man... thank god...
    Anyway time to head back to Blighty soon..

Many thanks for lunch and a great evening

Yours Jeff

Leave a comment:

• SirRobertAnderson
    replied
    I guess we're not doing 7pm then.......gimme a ring.

Restaurant is Porter House at 10 Columbus Circle but let's talk before you head there.....

Feels like a Ripper dating site....

Leave a comment:

• SirRobertAnderson
    replied
    Let's do 7pm.

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
    Hi Robert OK what time are we talking..

Ièm at the marriot Time Square but Ill jump a cab..

I gather its been snowing out there...havnt seen the light of day all day..

just lots of talking in dark rooms

Catch you later..I will phone you around six

Yous Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Leahy
    replied
    Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
    I called your room and left a message.

Here's a link for door to door directions to the restaurant, which I shall not name here because of all the paparazzi that would attend a meeting between the two of us.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CB0QngIwAA
    Hi Robert OK what time are we talking..

Ièm at the marriot Time Square but Ill jump a cab..

I gather its been snowing out there...havnt seen the light of day all day..

just lots of talking in dark rooms

Catch you later..I will phone you around six

Yous Jeff

Leave a comment:

• SirRobertAnderson
    replied
    Nanook of the North

I called your room and left a message.

Here's a link for door to door directions to the restaurant, which I shall not name here because of all the paparazzi that would attend a meeting between the two of us.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CB0QngIwAA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X