Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions Regarding The Swanson Marginalia From "The Definitive JTR" Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions Regarding The Swanson Marginalia From "The Definitive JTR" Documentary

Thread for discussing the marginalia as shown on the second episode of "JTR The Definitive Story".

If John Bennett wouldn't mind, I'd be glad to put up the scan of the page for one and all to see.

Comment

Ain't Cluedo great?

It was Mr Brown in the library with the red felt tipped pen.
      Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

Hi Howard

I'm awaiting decision on the subject.

Clearly I'm keen to avoid any accusation that BEL did anything but treat the Marginalia with utmost respect and care while in our possession.

All the examinations undertaken by us with High Def camera's and UV light..

Suggested that it looked exactly as the Swanson Family claim..

There will be those however who have an agenda to suggest tampering and faking and I think we should all be ready and aware of that interest.

No doubt this thread will run...I will try and keep contact while in the USA day after tomorrow...

Jeff x

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
          Hi Howard

I'm awaiting decision on the subject.

Clearly I'm keen to avoid any accusation that BEL did anything but treat the Marginalia with utmost respect and care while in our possession.

All the examinations undertaken by us with High Def camera's and UV light..

Suggested that it looked exactly as the Swanson Family claim..

There will be those however who have an agenda to suggest tampering and faking and I think we should all be ready and aware of that interest.

No doubt this thread will run...I will try and keep contact while in the USA day after tomorrow...

Jeff x
          There are no accusations that can be made against BEL because it can be proved beyond question that the red markings were on the book when it came into our charge. Meantime, speculation is cheap and currently serving no purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
            There are no accusations that can be made against BEL because it can be proved beyond question that the red markings were on the book when it came into our charge. Meantime, speculation is cheap and currently serving no purpose.
            Just goes to show you that no good deed goes unpunished in Ripperdom.

Think of these questions as trying to open an umbrella in a sh!tstorm :

1) Has anyone remotely accused -even through innuendo - that BEL has tampered with the book? It would be insanity to launch such an accusation, but if it's out there I'd like to know.

2) Has some of Swanson's underlinings been gone over to "reinforce" the fading pencil marks ? Am I correct in believing the Marginalia has been untouched ?

Comment

Jeff x
              Please PM me with your contact info and I will do the same!

Comment

Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
                Just goes to show you that no good deed goes unpunished in Ripperdom.

Think of these questions as trying to open an umbrella in a sh!tstorm :

1) Has anyone remotely accused -even through innuendo - that BEL has tampered with the book? It would be insanity to launch such an accusation, but if it's out there I'd like to know.

2) Has some of Swanson's underlinings been gone over to "reinforce" the fading pencil marks ? Am I correct in believing the Marginalia has been untouched ?
                Nobody to my knowledge has said that, Robert, although very vague and tasteless insinuations along those lines have been made in 'the other place', people who have clearly taken residence in la-la land asking whether there are red markings on the Aberconway version of the memoranda.

The red lines have absolutely no bearing on the authenticity of the marginalia and efforts to suggest otherwise is nonsense.

Comment

It's not clear on the documentary in regard to the underlining SRA, but the actual marginalia appears untouched

I'm only curious as to the cirumstances in which the red lines were added

Seems an untoward thing to do with such an important document

Almost funny in fact

Surely if someone allows you access to the document, the last thing you would do is get your ruler and felt pen out!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                    The red lines have absolutely no bearing on the authenticity of the marginalia and efforts to suggest otherwise is nonsense.
                    I'd suggest that if one wanted to monkey around with the marginalia, the VERY LAST THING I'd do is make some conspicuous red lines in the book. But of course as we know from another infamous document Ripper forgers are all very stupid and we are all very clever as we see to the heart of their shabby hoaxes with ease.

Gag me with a spoon.

Originally posted by Nemo View Post

Seems an untoward thing to do with such an important document

Almost funny in fact

Surely if someone allows you access to the document, the last thing you would do is get your ruler and felt pen out!
                    I agree, but the problem is that we regard this as a sacred text; the rest of the world doesn't.

Comment

Shame on me for not having the time to follow this thread. But could you explain what or who is BEL. Is that your production company, Jeff?

Chris
                      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
                        Shame on me for not having the time to follow this thread. But could you explain what or who is BEL. Is that your production company, Jeff?

Chris
                        BEL is Bulls Eye Lanterns Chris and is Jeffs production team behind the doc.

Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post

Chris
                          It is our production company, Chris, along with Jake and Paul Dixon, and it stands for Bulls Eye Lantern.
                          Paul

I see Monty got there before me. As you'd know if you read Ripperologist, Chris, Jeff and I had been kicking the idea of a Jack documentary around for some time and eventually went to the History Channel to pitch the idea with Jake's graphics. History bought the project, but couldn't fund all of it, so we pitched it to FIVE and they eventually did a co-production deal with History. With Paul Dixon, whose studios are local to us and who is a brilliant Director of Photography, we then set up a production company with all the people such a lawyers and accountants and pretty girls over whom I could lord it and tell to fetch me coffee. Other people were brought together like set designers, builders, make-up artists, costumes, and some bloke whose name I forget to do the script. Anyway, as a working title for the company we chose Bullseye Lantern - throwing light on histories mysteries (catchy, eh?) - and it kind of stuck.

Comment

I'm afraid I've been to busy to catch up..having discovered the ironing board after several months...

It seems unlikely that BEL productions Ltd will reach a decision before i leave for USA. I have taken and awaiting legal advice.

But in the mean time John Bennett and Paul Begg seem to have said everything that requires saying..and have our full support..

I did try phoning John but just missed him, according to his dad..

But John is free to publish his images, so please do so Howard, if John is happy with this....I'm unable to supply anything at present.

We have nothing to hide. And will defend our good name.

I hope to see you guys in New York on Wednesday

Yours Jeff

Comment

Jeff:

Be sure to look for food that says "Made in Philadelphia" when you get up to that big dump where Sir Bob lives. Trust me. Vaya con Dios,amigo.

If John decides to let us use a photo or whatever he wishes, he can do that at his earliest convienence...or I will be happy to post them up here.

Comment

Working...
                              X