X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
    That's good lateral thinking Howard - and when you

1) Divide 2 by 5 so the answer will be 1000

A) Using Roman numerals... II divided by V (ie put the V in the middle) creates M which is 1000... (Groan!)
    Thats good thinking Nemo Id never have thought of that in a million years seriously.....Bloody Romans!

Comment

Got it!

Put one sheep into one of the pens, and the rest follows...

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
        I have a few questions / puzzles from a popular pocket encyclopaedia from 1888 which you may like to try...

1) Divide 2 by 5 so the result will be 1000

2) Place 15 sheep in 4 pens so that there will be the same number of sheep in each pen

3) Arrange 5 numbers, none of which are greater than 10, so that when read from left to right, the one on the right will always be nearer to 10
        than the preceding one, and the first number will be nearer 10 than the
        5th

4) A lady sent a diamond cross to a jeweller to be repaired. She noted
        that the number of diamonds, counting from the bottom of the cross to
        the top, or from the bottom to the end of each cross piece , was 9. The
        jeweller retained 2 diamonds, but the number counted in the same manner
        was still 9. How?

I've re-phrased the next one as the answer was in the question.

5) A man rides into town and finds 3 brothers in a bit of a quandary.
        Their father had died and left 17 horses to be shared amongst them. To
        the eldest he leaves 1/2 his horses, to the next 1/3, and to the last
        1/9. The man resolves the issue to everyone's satisfaction without
        sacrificing a horse. How?

Good Luck!
        OK you've had long enough to dwell on the sheep

Here are the answers so far...

No.1 = divide II with V to get M

No.2 take your pick - not sure

No.3 Not sure (1 3 5 7 9 ?)

No.4 Click image for larger version

Name:	crosses.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	548978

(Though I think she would notice)

No.5 The man donates his own horse to make the total 18. The first brother gets 1/2 which is 9 horses, the second gets 1/3 which is 6 horses, the third gets 1/9 which is 2 horses.

9+6+2 = 17 horses

Which means there is one left which is the stranger's horse so he can take it back.

No.6 No idea...

Comment

Nemo, have we no answer to the sheep one??? I really want to know the answer!!

Comment

I have been looking for similar puzzles - there are a few - and some answers have pens inside each other

Still trying...

It's the board puzzle I can't work out yet - but I'll get it one day

Comment

Who was the "greatest comedian" in the Bible?

Comment

Explain please why this statement while sounding nonsensical,is in fact perfectly correct.....or is it?
                The Son of Pharoahs daughter is the daughter of Pharoahs son.

Comment

Pharaoh had a son who had a daughter and they all ended as mummies.

Comment

Originally posted by dougie View Post
                    Who was the "greatest comedian" in the Bible?
                    Samson. He only had to stand up, and he'd bring the house down.

Comment

Correct Sam.......Your Winners copy of the Gideon Bible (revised edition) will be despatched to you as soon as possible.

Comment

Correct Sam...
                        Thank you, Dougie. At first I thought it might have been Joseph - that "Coat of Many Colours" is so Max Miller, don't you think? - but his jokes weren't nearly as good:

"There were these seven fat cows and seven skinny cows..."

Too non-PC, even for the 17th Century BCE.

(Apparently his coat was one of "many skins" - I read somewhere that the "many colours" bit was a mistranslation.)

Comment

Yes Sam Im sure the " 7 fat cows and skinny cows" phrase would have brought the Germaine Greer wannabees out in their thousands ,waving their placards as if there was no tommorrow.
                          Today the "coat of many colours" might instead read "coat of many shades" ....just to be on the safe side.

Comment

The Son of Pharoahs daughter is the daughter of Pharoahs son. Doug

Unless Pharoah was from Southeast Texas or West Virginia...or Hull,Yorkshire, where brother- sister marriages are de rigeur and still en vogue....I ain't got the slightest damned clue what the answer is Doug.
                            To Join JTR Forums :
                            Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Explain please why this statement while sounding nonsensical,is in fact perfectly correct.....or is it?
                              The Son of Pharoahs daughter is the daughter of Pharoahs son.
                              Consider the following.

1. The Son-of-Pharaoh is (self-evidently) Pharaoh's son.

2. If he had a daughter then one could either call her the "daughter of Pharaoh's son", or the "Son-of-Pharaoh's daughter". They both mean the same.

3. In other words:

"The Son-of-Pharaoh's daughter" = "The daughter of Pharaoh's son".

4. Just take away the hyphens, substitute "is" for the "equals" sign, and you have the original sentence.

Comment

Yes quite..its just the phrasing....Sam is 2-0 up at the moment .

Comment

Working...
                                X