Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper's address - 14 Dorset Street!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do understand that you yourself have personal problems with understanding why Caroline "would" (as you put it) stay in a room at 14 Dorset Street for a few days.

Be polite in your responses from now on.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Thread open
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Iíll be interested to hear if thereís anything more to this than Henry Reilyís middle name being Maxwell and his wifeís forename being Caroline.

So far the theory seems a little strange. We have a wife who is so obedient to her husband that she is prepared to do his bidding and exchange a life of middle class comfort and security for a room in the hell hole that was Dorset Street, and yet at the same time she is seeking a separation and alimony from him and can apparently afford to instruct solicitors to act on her behalf.

And what happened to Henry Maxwell the lodging house deputy who Caroline claimed was her husband?

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
          Thread open
          Thank you so much Howard.

I also want to apologize for my bad chocie of words in the other post. Again, a big thank you.

Kind regards, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Iíll be interested to hear if thereís anything more to this than Henry Reilyís middle name being Maxwell and his wifeís forename being Caroline.

So far the theory seems a little strange. We have a wife who is so obedient to her husband that she is prepared to do his bidding and exchange a life of middle class comfort and security for a room in the hell hole that was Dorset Street, and yet at the same time she is seeking a separation and alimony from him and can apparently afford to instruct solicitors to act on her behalf.

And what happened to Henry Maxwell the lodging house deputy who Caroline claimed was her husband?
            Hi Gary,

firstly I would like to apologize for my choice of words in the previous post. What I was trying to say was that as an historian, one must always analyze one's own personal understanding for every historical source and research question. I.e. just because one does not understand why something "would" have happened in the past, that does not mean it did not happen. I too have been struggling with understanding the sources from the perspective of the social class of Henry Maxwell Reily and his wife Caroline. The results are in the book.

Now, there is much more to this than their names, Gary. In fact, there is so much evidence that Henry Maxwell Reily was the killer that I decided to write the book to let people know who he was.

People have been trying to find the man called Henry Maxwell and his wife Caroline for a long time. They are not in the records. I found them in India. They were in London in 1888 and were going through the separation process. When the murders stopped after Kelly, Henry left London. When the murders started again, Henry returned. When they stopped again, Henry left England. Henry Maxwell Reilys father was Irish. Henry was registered in London as "born about 1837". The man called Henry Maxwell was registered as Catholic. He was registered on the death certificate as "born about 1837".

But there is much, much more, so I recommend that you read the whole book, Gary.

Back to 14 Dorset Street then.

A letter was sent to the police shortly before the murder of Kelly where the author gave the address 14 Dorset Street.

When the police arrived at 14 Dorset Street on 9th November, they met Caroline, who gave her husband's name as Henry Maxwell, as you know.

She was doing her best to convince the police that she had been speaking to the dead woman and that she belonged to the area.

Caroline was called to the inquest three days later. But she was quickly warned by the coroner at the inquest since her story differed from other peoples.

The man called "Henry Maxwell" was registered in the death record as having died of pneumonia on the day when Henry Maxwell Reily embarked the steamer for England again, on 24th May.

He came back 7-10 days before the murder in Castle Alley.

But the death register shows that man called "Henry Maxwell" had instead died a violent death.

However, the man called "Henry Maxwell" never received any inquest.

A true verdict was therefore never given. No coroner and no jury had seen the body of the man.

He was registered as having died from suicide by "cut, stab".

It was an indictable offense to bury a man who died a violent death without any inquest and to dispose of a body in order to prevent an inquest being held.

From the perspective of the police investigation of the Whitechapel murders, considering the fact that Henry Maxwell Reily was on his way back to London 24th May, what was achieved by recording the death of the man called Henry Maxwell in the Death Register 24th May 1889?

Formal and official information was obtained, stating that Henry Maxwell was dead.

With the formal death of Henry Maxwell, there was no Henry Maxwell at 14 Dorset Street anymore.

Therefore, he was never going to be identified as Henry Maxwell Reily. No policeman and no journalist were ever going to discover who he was.

On 24th May 1889, Melville Macnaghten officially took over the responsibility as the Assistant Chief Constable in the CID at Scotland Yard.

On the very same day, someone in the Whitechapel Infirmary registered Henry Maxwell as dead.

James Monro had been Henry's boss in Bengal. He knew him and his family personally.

Macnaghtenís family was living in a house built by Carolineís family.

Ovingdean House was built by an uncle of Carolineís great grandfather, Thomas Reid Kemp.

Best wishes, Chris

Comment

No problem, Chris. I wasnít quite sure what you meant, but I didnít take it as a personal slight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                No problem, Chris. I wasnít quite sure what you meant, but I didnít take it as a personal slight.
                Thank you Gary!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                  Hi, Kristina! Welcome!

It was reported that witness Caroline Maxwell's husband Henry was in charge of the rooming house. How likely is it that Caroline would have run it on her own? Or is it suggested the 'Henry Maxwell' in charge of the rooming house was another man using that name?

As Gary said, I respect your efforts and understand if you do not divulge all details at this time and place.
                  Hi Anna,

thanks a lot, and sorry for the late response.

People have been trying to find the man called Henry Maxwell and his wife Caroline for a long time.

They are not in the records. I found them in India. They were in London in 1888 and were going through the separation process.

When the murders stopped after Kelly, Henry left London. When the murders started again, Henry returned. When they stopped again, Henry left England. Henry Maxwell Reilys father was Irish. Henry was registered in London as "born about 1837". The man called Henry Maxwell was registered as Catholic. He was registered on the death certificate as "born about 1837".

A letter was sent to the police shortly before the murder of Kelly where the author gave the address 14 Dorset Street.

When the police arrived at 14 Dorset Street on 9th November, they met Caroline, who gave her husband's name as Henry Maxwell, as you know.

She was doing her best to convince the police that she had been speaking to the dead woman and that she belonged to the area.

Caroline was called to the inquest three days later. But she was quickly warned by the coroner at the inquest since her story differed from other peoples.

The man called "Henry Maxwell" was registered in the death record as having died of pneumonia on the day when Henry Maxwell Reily embarked the steamer for England again, on 24th May.

He came back 7-10 days before the murder in Castle Alley.

But the death register shows that man called "Henry Maxwell" had instead died a violent death.

However, the man called "Henry Maxwell" never received any inquest.

A true verdict was therefore never given. No coroner and no jury had seen the body of the man.

He was registered as having died from suicide by "cut, stab".

It was an indictable offense to bury a man who died a violent death without any inquest and to dispose of a body in order to prevent an inquest being held.

From the perspective of the police investigation of the Whitechapel murders, considering the fact that Henry Maxwell Reily was on his way back to London 24th May, what was achieved by recording the death of the man called Henry Maxwell in the Death Register 24th May 1889?

Formal and official information was obtained, stating that Henry Maxwell was dead.

With the formal death of Henry Maxwell, there was no Henry Maxwell at 14 Dorset Street anymore.

Therefore, he was never going to be identified as Henry Maxwell Reily. No policeman and no journalist were ever going to discover who he was.

On 24th May 1889, Melville Macnaghten officially took over the responsibility as the Assistant Chief Constable in the CID at Scotland Yard.

On the very same day, someone in the Whitechapel Infirmary registered Henry Maxwell as dead.

James Monro had been Henry's boss in Bengal. He knew him and his family personally.

Macnaghtenís family was living in a house built by Carolineís family.

Ovingdean House was built by an uncle of Carolineís great grandfather, Thomas Reid Kemp.

Best wishes, Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X