Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper's address - 14 Dorset Street!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Scott
    replied
    Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    Nina tells me after looking through "Will The Real Mary Kelly ?" by some fellow named Chris Scott....that Caroline Maxwell & her husband, the lodging house deputy, lived at 14 Dorset Street in 1888.
    In your book, you mention not being able to place either Maxwell at 14 Dorset Street in the 1881 or 1891 censuses.....

Its on page 92
    Terrific book in case you haven't got a copy, folks.
    Oops:-) Red face here - well it was a long time ago and I am getting old, buddy - I must read the book again!!! But interesting that this hoaxer would give the Maxwell address.... and this news article was a week BEFORE the Kelly murder

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Nina tells me after looking through "Will The Real Mary Kelly ?" by some fellow named Chris Scott....that Caroline Maxwell & her husband, the lodging house deputy, lived at 14 Dorset Street in 1888.
    In your book, you mention not being able to place either Maxwell at 14 Dorset Street in the 1881 or 1891 censuses.....

Its on page 92
    Terrific book in case you haven't got a copy, folks.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    That was quick,buddy...
    None of 'em were named Brown, were they ?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Scott
    replied
    I have found 14 Dorset Street in 1881. It was a house of multiple occupancy but not a lodging house. The tenants were overwhelmingly but not exclusively Jewish.
    I havent found the premises in 1891.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Chris:

Nina is gonna give it a stab now.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Scott
    replied
    Thanks How
    I havent looked up who actually lived at 14 Dorset Street...

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Nice find Chris.
    It's funny how the newspapers automatically assumed threatening letters were hoaxed. They couldn't be certain, but they sure acted that way.

By the way....who did live at 14 Dorset Street ?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Scott
    started a topic Jack the Ripper's address - 14 Dorset Street!

Jack the Ripper's address - 14 Dorset Street!

This was a new one on me - a Yarmouth letter giving a Dorset Street address for Jack!
    This is from the Ipswich Journal of the 2 Nov 1888
    Attached Files
Working...
X