Dear Boss or saucy Jacky Postcard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Boss or saucy Jacky Postcard?

The following extract from a 1922 article on George R Sims' criminological collection seems to indicate that he had the 'Dear Boss' letter in his collection.

However, the mention of being 'smeared with blood' may indicate that it was the 'saucy Jacky' postcard he possessed and not the 'Dear Boss' letter. The whereabouts of the 'saucy Jacky' postcard has been unknown since the time of the murders and it is intriguing to speculate that Macnaghten may have kept the 'Dear Boss' letter and gave his friend Sims the postcard.

Stewart, is there any chance that the article might refer to the "From Hell" letter?

Do you know when it was last seen?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SPE View Post
      However, the mention of being 'smeared with blood' may indicate that it was the 'saucy Jacky' postcard he possessed and not the 'Dear Boss' letter.
      Another pointer in that article might be the reference to "red ink". Granted, the "Saucy Jacky" card (or its facsimile) appears to have been written in red pencil/crayon, rather than ink, but that might be close enough. If we consider the reference to "details regarding the victims [plural]" (cf. "number one squealed a bit"), and "smeared with blood" - which neither Dear Boss nor From Hell were - it certainly seems to point that way.

Comment

Sam,Archy,SPE:

But the Lusk Letter doesn't mention any intentions with regard to future victims, which Dear Boss & the Saucy Jack postcard do:

"Hold this letter back till I do a bit more work..."-Dear Boss
        "..thanks for keeping the last letter back till I get to work again.."-Saucy Jack
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

If Sims was not actually involved with police work ( being an author,playwright,etc...), then why was he allowed to possess the letter in question ?

We get our hands on Case material for research or for posterity...100 years after the fact....but wasn't that against Met policy at the time ?
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How, I know that the 'From Hell' letter doesn't specifically mention future victims, but says "I may send you the bloody knife if you only wait a while longer", which implies that the killer is not done using it.

The word-for-word accuracy of the article depends to a great extent on the care, precision and understanding of whoever wrote it... hard to know if the article's author was as precise & exacting in his statements as we would wish.

I've just always wondered who ended up with the most sensational Ripper letters & other other missing artifacts, and Sims seems to have been in a very good position to have been given some of the most important items.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
              How, I know that the 'From Hell' letter doesn't specifically mention future victims, but says "I may send you the bloody knife if you only wait a while longer", which implies that the killer is not done using it.
              However, From Hell wasn't smeared with blood... whereas Saucy Jacky had a whopping great blood-smear on it, or at least a smear intended to give the appearance of blood.

Comment

From Hell Letter

Stewart, is there any chance that the article might refer to the "From Hell" letter?
                Do you know when it was last seen?
                Thanks.
                The 'from Hell' letter wasn't in red ink, as far as we know. Its whereabouts was last recorded in October 1888 when the City Police returned it to the Met after photographing it.

Comment

Sims

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                  If Sims was not actually involved with police work ( being an author,playwright,etc...), then why was he allowed to possess the letter in question ?
                  We get our hands on Case material for research or for posterity...100 years after the fact....but wasn't that against Met policy at the time ?
                  Sims was wealthy and influential and of a similar social standing to Macnaghten, hence they were good chums. We know that Sims had the victim photographs and other official ephemera in his hands, undoubtedly given to him by Macnaghten. The letter wasn't confidential anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,SPE.

I was just wondering about the comment in the article regarding who would utilize such materials as the letter...those make a study of crime science.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      However, From Hell wasn't smeared with blood...
                      Sam, there are a number of smears on the 'From Hell' letter that look "blood-like".

And since as Stewart said it disappeared very quickly in 1888, it was only ever photographed in black & white.
                      Did anybody every specifically mention the color of its ink?

Saucy Jack & Dear Boss are more likely to be the onbes referred to, I agree, but I think 'From Hell' went to someone fairly "high up", and I doubt poor Mr. Lusk asked for it back!

Is anything known about the journalist who wrote this article, and how accurate & precise he usually was?
                      If he saw multiple Ripper documents at one time, then it's at least possible that later when he wrote the article he was speaking in slightly more general terms than we with our fine-tooth-combs would wish today.

I mean, look at that incredibly inaccurate Reynolds Newspaper article written at approximately the same time as this article... I think that 87 years later it's hard for us to know what any author's personal standard of accuracy was unless we can prove or disprove specific statements within their work.

Comment

Sam, there are a number of smears on the 'From Hell' letter that look "blood-like".
                        Only dots and the odd smudge... of ink, to my eyes. Saucy Jacky, in contrast, has a rather obvious bloody great smudge (I use the term advisedly) running almost its entire length, and a "satellite" smudge alongside it. They look for all the world like smears made with a bloody finger/thumb.

Comment

Whatever

Whatever - but it does appear that Sims may have played a part in the 'missing Jack the Ripper correspondence', and what of the victim photographs in his collection? I think that these must still be secreted somewhere and may turn up again.

Comment

Originally posted by SPE View Post
                            Whatever - but it does appear that Sims may have played a part in the 'missing Jack the Ripper correspondence', and what of the victim photographs in his collection? I think that these must still be secreted somewhere and may turn up again.
                            Hello SPE

Good that you think that some of the missing Jack the Ripper letters may still turn up.

Since it appears this article was written at the time of Sims' death in 1922 it would appear to me that it was written by someone who may not have had full knowledge of what Sims had in his possession, since the descriptions of the correspondence don't quite match what we know about the early letters.

Chris
                            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

I don't know if this is the correct thread to address this but since Stewart has mentioned the possibility that some Ripper letters could be stored somewhere else, I had a quick question:

SPE, in your one-on-one interview for the last podcast, I believe you mentioned that if there was any material pertaining to the Ripper case concerning Special Branch at Scotland Yard, it's never been released to the public. Do you yourself believe there is relevant material (such as more Ripper letters or documents) kept at Special Branch?

Comment

Working...
                              X