X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith

25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS
    by Robert Smith

2017 marks a quarter of a century since the document known as the diary of Jack the Ripper first came to the attention of the Ripper world.

This new book, by the diary's custodian and owner Robert Smith, has two main objectives: for the very first time to provide a same-size colour facsimile of the document, and to offer a record and an assessment of what has been discovered about the physical artefact and its contents since it emerged 25 years ago on 9th March 1992.

What do we know now that we didn’t when Robert's company, Smith Gryphon Ltd, published "The Diary of Jack the Ripper" by Shirley Harrison on 4th October 1993?

If it was a hoax, why hasn’t the proof of who forged it, and how and when, been forthcoming over the course of a quarter of a century?

It is time to make public why the diary team is confident it is a genuine Victorian document.

We can finally answer the following questions: When was it written? Where was it found? Why did it come to light on 9th March 1992? Where has it been for over 125 years? And we must ask one further and crucially linked question. Is Albert Johnson’s watch a genuine artefact from 1888?

Lurking behind all of these questions are two more: Was the diary written by a serial killer? If it was, was he Jack the Ripper?

These last two questions do not receive definitive answers in this book, but you will acquire plenty of information on them for you to form a sound opinion.

The diary is either a genuine document written circa 1888/89 or it is a modern fake. There is no other feasible option. If you want to make an objective assessment, you have to read every word in the diary with your full attention.

With the new full-size facsimile in colour to hand, you can observe in detail the words, the handwriting, the variation of ink flows and pressures, the blots and blemishes, and the shade of the ink, about which much misinformation has been disseminated.

Featuring chapters on the diary's provenence, the physical and scientific evidence, how the complex relationship between Michael and Anne Barrett impacted on and nearly wrecked the search for the diary's true provenance, and controversial topics such as "tin match box empty", 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER also includes a new annotated transcript, with extensive notes.

* Limited edition A4 hardback
    * Full colour facsimile of the diary's 64 pages
    * Annotated transcript
    * Individually numbered and signed by the author
    * Published on Monday 4th September 2017
    * £25.00 plus P&P

Purchase your copy now at
    http://mangobooks.co.uk/book.php?b=25
    Attached Files

Sweet!

Always had a soft spot for diary stuff.

I hope Keith Skinners new stuff is in it!

P

Comment

Hi Adam,

Just ordered this. Looking forward to reading it. By the way I just emailed to subscribe to Ripperologist.

Regards

Michael
      Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Your eyes aren't playing tricks....I copied the original thread Adam established and put another one under Mango Books.
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

It's about time a lot of the nonsense written about the diary finally gets the boot. Long overdue. I'm ordering mine now.

Comment

I hope you enjoy it Paul. Can I have your avatar?

Comment

Even though I'm a diary über-sceptic, this is a must have. Besides, Robert Smith is a splendid chap, and I'm sure his account will be fascinating.

Duly ordered.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
              (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

I really hope the Battlecrease provenance is a main feature!

First ripper book ive been excited about in over a decade.

P

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                  I hope you enjoy it Paul. Can I have your avatar?
                  Sorry Scott. Still not for sale.

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...irmed-genuine/

Comment

Thanks Bob....Adam posted a link on FB Forums too.

""The new and indisputable evidence, that on 9th March 1992, the diary was removed from under the floorboards of the room that had been James Maybrick’s bedroom in 1889, and offered later on the very same day to a London literary agent, overrides any other considerations regarding its authenticity. "

I have trouble accepting this as being a complete fact.
                      For instance....
                      Accepting for a moment that one or more of the three electricians found the Diary....it would mean one or more of them ran into....a typically inebriated fellow....and handed this over to him. Barrett then...without contemplating what it was or probably not reading it all the way through.....went to Doreen Montgomery on the same day....and showed it to her.

Nope. Like Martin Fido says...'It just won't do...".
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi All,

The Maybrick diary is nothing but money-grubbing rubbish.

You can't polish a turd.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Maybe I missed something, but anyhow:

Is there any evidence this diary has been written in 1889? Has the paper been tested? The ink? The binding method?

If not, then it sounds to me like the Hitler diaries from 1983.

Comment

Bart:

There are quite a few discussions about testing and all the other elements of the story....I'll get to this later, buddy. Fact is, I think people had been too dismissive of the Diary, although I have been skeptical of its provenance for a long time.

This article, however, in The Telegraph, makes it far harder to accept.

Imagine someone in Britain ( where Jack The Ripper is almost like Abraham Lincoln to Americans....not in performance, but in notoriety ) and not one, not two, but three men ( Electricians are usually on the ball mentally...have to be) do not care about this document at all and hand it over to Mike Barrett....like Barrett is a liason to the publishing world.
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Have I got this right?

1. The diary was found beneath the floorboards by three electricians.
                              2. So presumably the same floorboards had been in place for 100 years, with the diary beneath them.

During such a long period, one would have expected the up-facing cover of the diary to have acquired a layer of sawdust due to woodworm, or, failing woodworm, to simple wear and tear on the floorboards.

Assuming that the workmen didn't meticulously clean the diary before examining it, one would expect a few wood particles to have got between the pages.

Have any such particles been found?

Comment

Working...
                              X