Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
    Hi Caz

Has the spotlight ever shone on Dodd himself? Presumably a man of education, spare time and with an interest in his houses earlier owner?

P
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    I've wondered that, too, MrP.
    Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
    Well SamF......he is a better candidate than Barrett, had access to Battlecrease, knew Maybricks history, knew electricians would be under the boards, was educated, had a motive of sorts, has never attempted to lay claim to it........

For my money, I believe it came from Battlecrease and that its either an old forgery or its likely Dodd or another resident had a hand in it.

P
    Hi Mr. P,

But wouldn't it rather put paid to all the arguments, by Gareth among others, that the diary was written by someone with poor literary skills - such as Mike Barrett - who was trying and naturally failing to portray someone with a better education and of a higher class than himself?

Paul Dodd was [is?] a deputy headmaster, so anyone wondering about this possibility would presumably have to change horses and support my own personal view that the author was dumbing down to paint a portrait of James as a poorly educated brute with ideas above his station.

But then, if Dodd had set up the electricians to work under the floorboards and find the diary, he'd have known precisely when this was and would surely have made the most of this ideal and crucial 'provenance', instead of which he gave wrong - in fact impossible - dates for the work, sending investigators off in other directions. But he did actually try to claim it early on. He wanted to halt its publication until the question of ownership was resolved. He only later decided not to contest this, and eventually said he doubted it was ever in the house.

So would there really have been 'a motive of sorts'?

I personally think it's a non-starter, but I guessed it would come up before long. I always thought Dodd would have been the one fingered for a modern hoax if the diary had been handed to him instead of Mike.

Love,

Caz
    X
    I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

• A person going to the trouble of actually hoaxing an artefact, has to be able to work it so that they benefit from the hoax. Otherwise whats the point ?

Comment

• Benefit is defined differently for everyone.

Cash for some.

Attention for others.

Watching ripperologists froth at the mouth for a quarter century for others.

P

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Cobb View Post
          A person going to the trouble of actually hoaxing an artefact, has to be able to work it so that they benefit from the hoax. Otherwise whats the point ?
          There are many ways to benefit. Some just enjoy creating sensation, sitting back and watching what happens. It is possible too, that an artifact could have been made by someone who was unable to benefit due to death, change of mind, religious experience, loss of a business deal that would have produced profit...etc.....etc....etc..... Then maybe someone else did not let the opportunity go to waste.

I am a professional artist. If my mind worked in certain ways I think it would be fun to manufacture Mary Jane Kelly's diary, or a memoir for a member of her family. The challenge to an artist would be working with appropriate inks, materials, handwriting.....stuff like the Mormon church forger did.

That said, I would never do something like that. (So if I find MJK's diary at a yard sale here in Idaho, please believe me, it would be the real thing!)
          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Originally posted by Caroline Morris View Post
            Paul Dodd was [is?] a deputy headmaster, so anyone wondering about this possibility would presumably have to change horses and support my own personal view that the author was dumbing down to paint a portrait of James as a poorly educated brute with ideas above his station
            Good point, Caz. Rest assured that I'm still of the view that the diary was written by someone with distinctly average literary skills, to put it kindly, and I'm increasingly getting the impression that the story of the diary being found under Paul Dodd's floorboards is pure myth.

PS: I did a quick check and it appears that Mr Dodd is now a director of a charitable company called Liverpool Community Transport; indeed, he has an MBE for his charity work. Whether he's still head of his primary school I don't know but, apparently, he's an old Oxonian: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...ase-House.html
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
              Nice big old biscuit tin for sale over on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTORIAN-SQ...oAAOSwmgJY4Xs0

Of the sort that would fit a book like the diary. For 20 quid no less!

A baragain!! I thought such things did not exist!
              Hi Mr. Poster. I took your advise and clicked on your link. The biscuit tin is advertised as being 9 1/4" x 8 3/4" x 5."

What gives you the impression that the Maybrick Diary can fit inside this? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X