• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New book announcement: The Annotated I Caught Crippen by Nicholas Connell

NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT:

THE ANNOTATED I CAUGHT CRIPPEN
    EDITED WITH AN INTRODUCTION AND NOTES
    BY NICHOLAS CONNELL

On this day 70 years ago - 16th December 1947 - retired Det Chief Inspector Walter Dew died in Worthing, where he had lived in his retirement.

In 1910 Dew had become the most famous detective in the world after a transatlantic chase resulted in him capturing the American murderer Dr Hawley Harvey Crippen. This was the first time that wireless telegraphy had resulted in the arrest of a murderer.

After retiring from the Metropolitan Police and working as a private detective Dew began to write and in 1938 his autobiography I Caught Crippen was published. *It subsequently became an important work for crime historians and has long been out-of-print. Dew’s accounts of the Crippen case and his hunt for Jack the Ripper are the lengthiest ever written by a police officer closely involved in the investigations. The latter part of I Caught Crippen deals with a variety of other cases that Dew worked on.

The Annotated I Caught Crippen
    , with an Introduction and extensive notes by renowned crime author Nicholas Connell, makes this classic work available again. It contains a full transcription of the original text, annotated with footnotes including additional material from a newspaper serialisation of Dew’s memoirs that has never appeared in a book before. It also features appendices of Dew’s other writings and articles written about the celebrated detective during his lifetime.

To be published by Mango Books on 1st February 2018.

[

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle

This looks like a major publication.

Comment

January 26, 2018

http://mangobooks.co.uk/book.php?b=29

The Annotated I Caught Crippen
      by Nicholas Connell

PRE-ORDER NOW!
      Pre-orders will receive a limited edition bookplate signed by the author.
      UK | Europe | Rest of World

In 1910 Chief Inspector Walter Dew became the most famous detective in the world after a transatlantic chase resulted in him capturing the American murderer Dr Hawley Harvey Crippen. This was the first time that wireless telegraphy had resulted in the arrest of a murderer and it was Dew’s final investigation for Scotland Yard.
      After retiring from the Metropolitan Police and working as a private detective Dew began to write and in 1938 his autobiography I Caught Crippen was published. It subsequently became an important work for crime historians and has long been out-of-print. Dew’s accounts of the Crippen case and his futile hunt for Jack the Ripper are the lengthiest ever written by a police officer closely involved in the investigations. The latter part of I Caught Crippen deals with a variety of other cases that Dew worked on, including the arrest of the international jewel thief Harry the Valet.
      The Annotated I Caught Crippen makes this classic work available again. It contains a full transcription of the original text, annotated with footnotes including additional material from a newspaper serialisation of Dew’s memoirs that has never appeared in a book before. It also features appendices of Dew’s other writings and articles written about the celebrated detective during his lifetime.

To be published February 2018.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

My copy has arrived! Probably arrived a couple of weeks ago, as it was delivered to my parents.

First impression, lovely looking book. It's mango, so quality build and design. More to the book than I anticipated (it's bigger, and flicking through it has some superb images). Lucky enough to get the 4th signed template too. Great solid cover, and looks super quality paper.

Really looking forward to reading it!

Comment

The Annotated I Caught Crippen by Walter Dew

"I knew Marie quite well by sight. Often I had seen her parading along Commercial Street, between Flower-and-Dean Street and Aldgate, or along Whitechapel Road. She was usually in the company of two or three of her kind, fairly neatly dressed and invariably wearing a clean white apron, but no hat.

Marie Kelly was the most horribly mutilated of all Jack the Ripper’s victims. I know because I was the first police officer on the scene of that ghastly crime in Miller’s Court, a cul-de-sac off Dorset Street."

DET. INSPECTOR WALTER DEW

----------

THE ANNOTATED I CAUGHT CRIPPEN, edited with an Introduction by Nicholas Connell, is now available in hardback and Kindle formats.

Over 376 pages Dew describes the transatlantic chase to catch the murderer Dr Hawley Harvey Crippen, and offers the lengthiest account of the hunt for Jack the Ripper by an officer closely involved in the investigations. His memoirs have long been out of print, and are now extremely difficult to find.

Faithfully reproducing Dew's autobiography, with extensive notes and commentary, we're delighted to make this scarce book available again.

http://mangobooks.co.uk/book.php?b=29
          Attached Files

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle

Comment

Working...
          X