Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swanson : The Life & Times Of A Victorian Detective ( Wood )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really want to comment much more -- this is Adam Wood's book thread and I haven't read it yet.

Except to say that we don't know if Anderson shared Swanson's view that the suspect died shortly after confinement in Colney Hatch Asylum. And Macnaghten thinking he was alive in 1894... what could that have been based on? Information that Swanson wasn't privy to?

Comment

Hi R.J.!

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
      And, who the Hell was Hall anyway?
      Years ago, I found a George Hall. This George Hall and a man named William Burns did attack a constabler (PC Hughes). It happened in October 1888. Thatīs all I know about it (unfortunately, I don't know the source anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
        ...or delight.

Speaking of Simon, he writes of a request made by Sir Robert Anderson in March 1891 that the Yard be informed if a certain lunatic named George Hall was ever released from Colney Hatch. We know Macnaghten made a similar request in reference to Ostrog--a Ripper suspect. Should we be concerned that no similar attention was paid in the case of Aaron Kosminski, even though he was also sent to Colney Hatch at around the same time as Hall (and Ostrog in Banstead)? And, who the Hell was Hall anyway?
        Perhaps the interest in George Hall was because he became insane while in prison on a penal servitude sentence for larceny and receiving offences. He also received a three-year police supervision order. I presume the supervision order would still apply after release from Colney Hatch. George Hall died in Colney Hatch in 1892.

Just bought Adam's book and looking forward to reading it.

Comment

The People
          November 4, 1888
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

My George Hall, sectioned in Feb 1891 from Chatham prison, is not Karsten's George Hall btw

Comment

Thanks, Debs....I wasn't aware.
              XXXXX
              To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                Thanks, Debs...I wasn't aware.
                XXXXX
                I didn't want to corrupt Adam's book thread or I would have elaborated.

Comment

I think I'd better add that Adam's book looks like a prodigious achievement, and that should have been my first comment on it here.

I'm surprised by his conclusion about "Kosminski," but obviously he has done a tremendous amount of research on all aspects of Swanson's career, and - as I said - everyone has a different opinion about these things.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up Chris. Not sure why Amazon weíre offering a free copy to Kindle readers, but Iíve closed that loop hole now!

Adam

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
                    The more time goes on, the less I understand the workings of the modern Internet, but when I looked on Amazon the only option it offered me was Kindle, and it offered it to me free if I had a trial of "Kindle Unlimited". So there it is for free. I have been expecting to buy a copy, of course, but apparently the free Kindle is the way to read it now.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle

Comment

Thank you Gareth, I hope you find lots of interest when you find time to read the full book!

Adam

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      I received my copy the other day, and - whilst I've only just started reading it - I can tell that it promises to be the most informative and thoroughly-researched biography in the field since Helena Wojtczak's on Kłosowski.

Well done, Adam.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle

Comment

Hi all,

Just an update on the status of the book for those hoping to purchase a copy, and of course those who pre-ordered a copy.

Although working to the publication date of 31 January, the printer badly underestimated how long it would take to produce the book and were only able to supply a small stock in time for my launch talk on 2 February. Those were shipped to a handful of those who pre-ordered.

Iím excepting the remainder of the print run this coming week. When Iíll dispatch the remainder of pre-orders and also make the book available on Amazon and my own website, in hardback, paperback and Kindle formats.

Thanks everyone for your patience, I look forward to your comments once youíve had a chance to read it!

Best wishes
                        Adam

Aristotle

Comment

Thanks, Chris. It was a lot of hard work, but all the more enjoyable for that. It was very satisfying digging out information on Swansonís life and career, resulting in what I hope is a full, rounded account of the man.

Adam

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
                          I think I'd better add that Adam's book looks like a prodigious achievement, and that should have been my first comment on it here.

I'm surprised by his conclusion about "Kosminski," but obviously he has done a tremendous amount of research on all aspects of Swanson's career, and - as I said - everyone has a different opinion about these things.

Aristotle

Comment

Hi Adam,

I've almost finished reading my copy. And what a biography it is! It doesn't disappoint on any level, and it's quite remarkable how you've succeeded in pulling all the strands of Swanson's life together.

This book is, by far, the best I've read in years.

Wishing you all success.

My regards,

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
                              Hi Adam,

I've almost finished reading my copy. And what a biography it is! It doesn't disappoint on any level, and it's quite remarkable how you've succeeded in pulling all the strands of Swanson's life together.

Wishing you all success.

My regards,

Sean.

Crawler. That's what I'd say. Unfortunately, what you say is correct. Adam has done a superb job.

Comment

Hi Sean,

Thank you very much for your kind words. Glad you havenít found anything to be disappointed in - yet!

Hope you enjoy the last leg...

Best wishes
                                Adam

Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
                                Hi Adam,

Wishing you all success.

My regards,

Sean.

Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                                X