Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swanson : The Life & Times Of A Victorian Detective ( Wood )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Wood
    replied
    Hi John,

Thank you so much for your kind words on the book - Iím so glad that you enjoyed it. It was a labour of love, to be sure, but I learned a lot while undertaking the research!

All the best
    Adam

Originally posted by John Savage View Post
    Hi Adam,

I have just finished reading your book and would like to pass on my congratulations, in my opinion the most well researched and well written biography I have read since I donít know when.

The exhaustive detail and information you have found on Swanson and the Metropolitan Police is very interesting and I can understand how hard you must have worked to put this all together. Well done you!

The high quality of both the printing and binding has not gone unnoticed either; so a pat on the back to your printers.

All the best
    John

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Thanks for your review, John.

Leave a comment:

• John Savage
    replied
    Hi Adam,

I have just finished reading your book and would like to pass on my congratulations, in my opinion the most well researched and well written biography I have read since I donít know when.

The exhaustive detail and information you have found on Swanson and the Metropolitan Police is very interesting and I can understand how hard you must have worked to put this all together. Well done you!

The high quality of both the printing and binding has not gone unnoticed either; so a pat on the back to your printers.

All the best
    John

Leave a comment:

• Adam Wood
    replied
    Hi everyone,

Many thanks to those who have made early comment on the book - I realise it's going to take some time to read the entire volume, but I wanted to say that I greatly appreciate the feedback and look forward to reading your thoughts.

Best wishes
    Adam

Leave a comment:

• Cris Malone
    replied
    Received my copy a few days ago and should finish it tonight. I don't know if I've seen a biography in this genre so detailed and researched. Now days, I usually get Kindle or audio version of books for convenience. Glad I got a hardcopy on this one. Well worth it. Right along with Chieftain and Capturing Jack the Ripper for a study of the evolution of the Met police.

Leave a comment:

• Cogidubnus
    replied
    I'm in the same boat Lemon...with some twenty odd books already in my "to read" pile, five or six of which are Whitechapel-related, should I let this one jump the queue? Having said that, I've been looking forward to it for such a long time...

Leave a comment:

• Lemonjelly
    replied
    I picked up my copy yesterday (it arrived at the beginning of the week).

First impressions - my word! Beautiful hardback book, and I didn't realise how weighty a book this would be. Need to reinforce the shelves...

Vast contents pages, humongous list of illustrations, thorough index and bibliography.

This looks awesome. I can't wait to tuck in. Thus I'm motivated to finish my current book...

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    I had the opportunity to read some of Adam's book last night.....not much and not enough....but wanted to say that this is an extraordinarily well-researched and comprehensive work. Very impressive effort on Adam's part.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Wood
    replied
    Hi Sean,

Thank you very much for your kind words. Glad you havenít found anything to be disappointed in - yet!

Hope you enjoy the last leg...

Best wishes
    Adam

Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
    Hi Adam,

I've almost finished reading my copy. And what a biography it is! It doesn't disappoint on any level, and it's quite remarkable how you've succeeded in pulling all the strands of Swanson's life together.

This book is, by far, the best I've read in years.

Wishing you all success.

My regards,

Sean.

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
    Hi Adam,

I've almost finished reading my copy. And what a biography it is! It doesn't disappoint on any level, and it's quite remarkable how you've succeeded in pulling all the strands of Swanson's life together.

Wishing you all success.

My regards,

Sean.

Crawler. That's what I'd say. Unfortunately, what you say is correct. Adam has done a superb job.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Crundall
    replied
    Hi Adam,

Wishing you all success.

My regards,

Sean.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Wood
    replied
    Thanks, Chris. It was a lot of hard work, but all the more enjoyable for that. It was very satisfying digging out information on Swansonís life and career, resulting in what I hope is a full, rounded account of the man.

Adam

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
    I think I'd better add that Adam's book looks like a prodigious achievement, and that should have been my first comment on it here.

I'm surprised by his conclusion about "Kosminski," but obviously he has done a tremendous amount of research on all aspects of Swanson's career, and - as I said - everyone has a different opinion about these things.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Wood
    replied
    Hi all,

Just an update on the status of the book for those hoping to purchase a copy, and of course those who pre-ordered a copy.

Although working to the publication date of 31 January, the printer badly underestimated how long it would take to produce the book and were only able to supply a small stock in time for my launch talk on 2 February. Those were shipped to a handful of those who pre-ordered.

Iím excepting the remainder of the print run this coming week. When Iíll dispatch the remainder of pre-orders and also make the book available on Amazon and my own website, in hardback, paperback and Kindle formats.

Thanks everyone for your patience, I look forward to your comments once youíve had a chance to read it!

Best wishes
    Adam

Leave a comment:

• Adam Wood
    replied
    Thank you Gareth, I hope you find lots of interest when you find time to read the full book!

Adam

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    I received my copy the other day, and - whilst I've only just started reading it - I can tell that it promises to be the most informative and thoroughly-researched biography in the field since Helena Wojtczak's on Kłosowski.

Well done, Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Wood
    replied
    Thanks for the heads-up Chris. Not sure why Amazon weíre offering a free copy to Kindle readers, but Iíve closed that loop hole now!

Adam

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
    The more time goes on, the less I understand the workings of the modern Internet, but when I looked on Amazon the only option it offered me was Kindle, and it offered it to me free if I had a trial of "Kindle Unlimited". So there it is for free. I have been expecting to buy a copy, of course, but apparently the free Kindle is the way to read it now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X