Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Annotated Edition, ' The Lighter Side Of My Official Life' ( Malcolm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Annotated Edition, ' The Lighter Side Of My Official Life' ( Malcolm)

Coming in 2021...
    THE ANNOTATED THE LIGHTER SIDE OF MY OFFICIAL LIFE
    Edited with an Introduction and Notes
    by John Malcolm
    “I am almost tempted to disclose the identity of the murderer… But no public benefit would result from such a course, and the traditions of my old department would suffer.”
    The bold claims by Sir Robert Anderson, Assistant Commissioner (Crime) of Scotland Yard’s CID from 1888-1901, have long divided opinion amongst students of the Jack the Ripper murders. Did Anderson really know the name of the most famous serial killer of all time?
    His 1910 memoir, The Lighter Side of My Official Life, certainly ruffled feathers on its release, and the truth of Anderson’s comments is difficult to assess, as indeed is the character of the man himself.
    This faithful facsimile of this scarce book features extensive notes by Anderson authority John Malcolm, along with a detailed Introduction examining the Assistant Commissioner’s personality, his professional career and his extensive religious writings, and an Appendix which discusses the truth behind Anderson’s claim that the Ripper was a Polish Jew, seemingly supported by the handwritten notes made by Anderson’s colleague Chief Inspector Donald Swanson in his own personal copy of The Lighter Side of My Official Life.

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

John’s last book was excellent so I look forward to getting this one.
    Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Any idea when this book is coming? I want it. I want it now!

Comment

Still some time away...The bar was set very high with Mango's The Annotated I Caught Crippen, so I really need to get it right. I'm confident in my guides and it'll be done when they say "done".

Comment

Commentary on the "O.U. Duck" section (towards the end) would be beneficial. I think it contains the key to his thinking on the case.

Comment

Duly noted Scott!

Comment

Originally posted by John Malcolm View Post
              Duly noted Scott!
              Is there any update on this one John?
              Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Hi Michael, sorry for such a late reply.

We still have some way to go. I had hoped it would have been in the can by now, but since it has become a joint venture, it is evolving on more levels than had been considered previously. When it's done, it should show Anderson in a new (and not always particularly positive) light. There's much more than anecdotal puffing to Anderson's reminiscences - and a lot of the subject matter is quite a bit darker than the title implies.

Comment

Originally posted by John Malcolm View Post
                  Hi Michael, sorry for such a late reply.

We still have some way to go. I had hoped it would have been in the can by now, but since it has become a joint venture, it is evolving on more levels than had been considered previously. When it's done, it should show Anderson in a new (and not always particularly positive) light. There's much more than anecdotal puffing to Anderson's reminiscences - and a lot of the subject matter is quite a bit darker than the title implies.
                  No problem John.

I’m now even more intrigued than I already was. I’m certainly looking forward to the release. All the best with it.
                  Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

If this book is half as good as John Malcolms last book, then it will be well worth purchasing, and people should be queueing round the block to acquire a copy:
                    https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/lem-...-november-2018

I've started coming to the realisation that these things come in their own time, and publishers have a different standard of time to us mere mortals (that applies across the board of formats/industries too - recall what it is like waiting for a new album from a favoured music artist for example).

The reward will come - similar to waiting for the updated A-Z, or like waiting for Adams Swanson masterpiece. Authors/researchers will look to add relevant info in up to the last minute, so any delay is likely as a result of helpful/beneficial new research coming to the fore. And research being done in the midst of a global pandemic no doubt also has implications.

I know I too am as eager to see the fruition of this body of work! I know it will be to a very high standard in it's qualities.

Comment

I remember years ago waiting for the publication of the ‘new’ Richard Whittington-Egan book. There seemed to be delay after delay that seemed to go on forever but it arrived eventually as will John’s book and the A-Z. It’s good knowing that there are 2 new books coming out and we don’t have to think “I hope this one isn’t crap” for either of them.

I wonder if Paul will review the A-Z?
                      Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

I do hope John Malcolm has not overlooked the various porkie pies the Blessed Sir Robert Anderson told in his 1910 biography.

Comment

Working...
                        X