9-12 Dorset Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
    The 1885 case revolved around the stabbing of a drunken man named Alexander Hayes Munroe ( a pugilist) by Thomas Newington alias 'Tom' (really?) arrested at 10 Star St after Munroe was stabbed in the abdomen and taken to the London Hospital where he died of peritonitis a few days later set up by a penetrative wound of the intestines.
    Frederick Adam Gehringer of 18 George Street who was proprietor of a common lodging house at 6 Little Pearl St was a witness as was John Williams of McCarthys Lodging House, 16 Great Pearl Street, a clicker.
    Some reports have the attacker as a Thomas McCarthy, aged 17.

Comment

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...-954#highlight

Comment

The verdict was violent manslaughter.

Frederick 'Dinger' in the OB transcript is Frederick Adam Gehringer:

This caught my eye from Gehringer:

Comment

Thanks for that, Debs.

I see that Munroe was described as a pugilist and a lion tamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Thanks for that, Debs.

I see that Munroe was described as a pugilist and a lion tamer.
            Yes, weirdly when I went looking for a lion tamer after you mentioned this, I came across a newspaper article(with illustration) showing 'Jack' McCarthy the lion tamer who was mauled to death by two of his lions, at the same time you were adding to the Jack McCarthy thread.

Comment

Yes, weirdly when I went looking for a lion tamer after you mentioned this, I came across a newspaper article(with illustration) showing 'Jack' McCarthy the lion tamer who was mauled to death by two of his lions, at the same time you were adding to the Jack McCarthy thread.
              I saw him too - he used to box tigers!!!

Comment

I was reading through the posts Sean made about the Gehringers on Casebook that you linked to Gary and there is some interesting information on there, I haven't got Fiona Rule's book.

I noted that Frederick Adam Gehringer's first marriage was to Sarah Eliza Davis in 1875, the daughter of lodging house keeper at Osborn Place, William Edward Davis.
                I wonder how that plays in to the tangled lodging house keeper dynamics described on Casebook. I find it difficult to get my head around who may be aligned with who.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                  I saw him too - he used to box tigers!!!
                  A boxing tiger? Adds a whole new dimension to the term "southpaw".
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                  (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

I was reading through the posts Sean made about the Gehringers on Casebook that you linked to Gary and there is some interesting information on there, I haven't got Fiona Rule's book.

I noted that Frederick Adam Gehringer's first marriage was to Sarah Eliza Davis in 1875, the daughter of lodging house keeper at Osborn Place, William Edward Davis.
                    I wonder how that plays in to the tangled lodging house keeper dynamics described on Casebook. I find it difficult to get my head around who may be aligned with who.
                    Yes, me too.

Itís taken for granted that McCarthy and Crossingham were mates, simply on the basis that Ann Crossingham married Daniel McCarthy, I think.

Then you have a nut job like Billy M, seemingly loyal to Ann, stabbing Margaret Sullivan, trying to shoot Cokey J, killing Blackjack Stevens, a promising Spitalfields boxer, throwing a knife at Squibby who it seems was later employed by McCarthy in Limehouse...

Itís worse than the House of Commons.

Comment

To Join JTR Forums :
                      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I’ve just read a report of John Satchell’s funeral. I hadn’t realised that at the time of his death he was working as a deputy for the Oylers and had been in the role for 23 years.

The floral tributes included those from from Mr and Mrs J. Cooney, Mr J. Smith, Mr and Mrs Lewis and Mrs McCarthy (Anne?). Notably absent were tributes from John McCarthy and William Crossingham.

Jimmy Smith’s tribute was in the form of a horseshoe on which was inscribed ‘A Sport’.

Comment

Working...
                        X