Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2, Harvey's Buildings, Strand

Hello all,

I'm trying to find out more information on this property and have reached a dead end.

As I have stated on several different threads, this address was the home of John Arnold and William Wallace Brodie in 1889. I believe I also remember Paul Begg stating that Brodie lived here in August of 1888 after his release from prison. The location is in the same block as the office of Charles LeGrand in 1889 when he was at #10 Agar Street. The landlord of 2, Harvey's Buildings was a man named George Savage. He testified that Brodie was sleeping at this residence at the time of the McKenzie murder.

In 1894 the premises of #2 and #3 Harvey's Buildings was purchased by the British Medical Association. By 1898 they acquired the freehold purchase of 429 Strand, and Nos. 2,3,4 and 5 Agar Street.

Any additional information of this location in or around the years 1888 and 1889 would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S2a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	556438
    Click image for larger version

Name:	S1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	556439

Blue star is 10 Agar

Comment

Many thanks, Roy. That is very helpful!

Comment

Tiny point : it was George Salvage.

Comment

Despite the BMA purchase, Salvage was still running it as a lodging house in 1901.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
            Despite the BMA purchase, Salvage was still running it as a lodging house in 1901.
            Thanks Robert,

I'm not great at reading the maps but doesn't it appear there was an access to Harvey's Buildings from the backs of #2 Agar and 429 Strand (British Medical Journal) in addition to the court entrance on Strand?

Comment

Hi Jerry

You'd need Clacky for that.

A map for me is something that blows inside out in the wind and never folds up the way it started.

At 2 Agar in 1901 was a dentist, while 429 Strand was uninhabited.

Comment

If the order of enumeration means anything, the enumerator in 1901 seems to have gone as far as 12 Agar St before doing 1 - 3 Harvey's buildings and then 1 Bedford St etc.

Comment

In 1911, the enumerator seems to have called at the Charing Cross Hospital nurses' home at Chandos St, now Chandos Place. Then he went to 9 and 10 Agar St, then the pub at 427 Strand and then Harvey's Buildings at 425 Strand.

In 1901 there was a note beside 12 Agar St saying that it was enumerated in the Chandos St district.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Robert,

I am specifically trying to find out about #2 Harvey's Buildings and its inhabitants. It seems odd to me that two men that injected themselves into the murders lived in the same location.

The following was transcribed from the Aspen Evening Chronicle, October 7th 1892. I'm pretty sure this has to be George Salvage of Harvey's Buildings.

HE MASHED HIM

London, Oct. 7-

Charley Mitchell, the pugilist, was brought up in remand in the Bow Street police court today to answer to the charge of committing an unprovoked assault upon George Salvage, the head keeper of a lodging house in Strand. The evidence showed there was no reason whatever for the assault. The magistrate before whom the case was heard told Mitchell that the class he belonged to was worthless and a menace to society, and sentenced him to two months' imprisonment at hard labor.

Wonder if it was this Charley Mitchell, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Mitchell_(boxer)?

Comment

Yes, that was the lodging house keeper.

I don't know if this Charlie Mitchell was the one who fought Corbett and Sullivan.

Trying to discover who was at a lodging house, and when, is fraught with difficulty. You have a transient population who don't appear on the electoral rolls, so the main tools are the census, possible BMD certificates, and newspaper reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        Yes, that was the lodging house keeper.

I don't know if this Charlie Mitchell was the one who fought Corbett and Sullivan.

Trying to discover who was at a lodging house, and when, is fraught with difficulty. You have a transient population who don't appear on the electoral rolls, so the main tools are the census, possible BMD certificates, and newspaper reports.
                        Robert,

I have found a few local London papers that confirm it was the well-known pugilist named Charley Mitchell. It occurred in the court-yard of Harvey's Buildings. Salvage was knocked to the ground and hit his head on the pavement causing a wound to the back of his head and a concussion. His son-in-law, Thomas Grieves, who also resided at Harvey's Buildings, was witness to the event.

You are correct, it is a difficult task with the transient population. Guess I'll just keep digging.

Thanks.

Comment

Famous Pugilist

Here is the trial of Pugilist, Charley Mitchell, for the assault on lodging house keeper, George Salvage of Harvey's Buildings. He was a very violent man. I read somewhere, I believe on casebook, Debs found that he wore a coat trimmed with Astrakhan. I can't remember if it's in this article or not (I've read many lately) he is described wearing a coat trimmed in fur. This is a lengthy article. I found it interesting because it related to Harvey's Buildings. Also of note is even though he fought some heavyweights in his day, Charley was 5'9" and weighed between 150 and 160 pounds.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X