York Convention Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes

It wasn't the writing, it was the local pronunciation of Jurors that was suggested as being written phonetically as Jewes/juewes

Comment

Hi Nemo.

remember Neil pointing out the difference and me thinking his photo had a better provenance - IIRC it (being also listed in the book as from a private collection) was in some Hall Cain records but I might be mistaken

I don't see much difference in the facial features and I think one could easily be the other given the 6 year gap - except Neil's photo shows a man with no ear lobes whereas Tim's photo shows a man who appears to have ear lobes
      Thanks for that. There seem to be several differences between the two photographs, the ear lobes being the most obvious, so I wonder why Neil believes his photo is of Tumblety. I'm also not quite sure that Neil's photo has a better provenance than the one Tim found.

Tim's photo came from the front cover of Tumblety's 1871 self published bio. Tumblety mentions the photo in the text and states that he is wearing a Prussian officers uniform. More importantly, in 1873 the father of Henry Carr, the young man was up before a Police Magistrate for unlawful ownership of a gold watch chain (Tumblety's), produced a copy of the bio and showed the photo to the judge saying that this was the man who had "decoyed his son away" so we know it is a likeness of Tumblety.

All in all, I'm not sure that Neil's photo is of Dr. T.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
        Thanks for that. There seem to be several differences between the two photographs, the ear lobes being the most obvious, so I wonder why Neil believes his photo is of Tumblety.
        My scanner is down for the count but it would be worthwhile to post up scans of just the ear lobes blown up. They are very different.

Comment

I think Neil would be happy to correct me Wolf

If Neil's photo was found in a file of Hall Caine letters then it would be the most likely to be mislabelled I think but I might be mistaken

I'll check if there is specific mention in the book because I did speed read a couple of chapters

Comment

Wolf - I don't see any specific reference to the provenance of Neil's photo in his book other than the "Private collection" label

Comment

Working...
            X