2014 Ripper Conference In The U.K.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
    Sociologists, anthropologists, cultural anthropologists, historians, geospatial analysts, architectural historians, medical historians, psychologists, psychiatrists, legal historians, Polish historians, Russian historians, statisticians, anatomists, behavioural analysts, etc etc etc etc.

I could go on.
    P
    I'm sure you could, but already I'm bored. If any of these people gave feck all about Ripperology we'd already be hearing from them. Medical historians might be of use.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• They dont give a feck about ripperology because they have useful things to do.

And ripperology is full of nutters.

But one day a ripperologist of creativity and imagination. . . .not you. . . . .might find out that a mathematical moidel of eddowes possible meanderings in relation to police beats might be useful.

Then he might be grateful for a friendly face like Dr Jari ( HAD YE NOT ALIENATED HIM WITH YER FILTHY MANNERS!) who could put said ripperologist in touch with a grad student in mathematics with time to spare.

Of course you dont need any help from anyone as you are a legend in your own lunchtime.

P

Comment

• Were there significant contributions made to 'ripperology' by the academics who organised and spoke at the 2011 Drexel conference? Just asking.

Comment

• No idea. Who spoke at it

P

Comment

They dont give a feck about ripperology because they have useful things to do.

And ripperology is full of nutters.

But one day a ripperologist of creativity and imagination. . . .not you. . . . .might find out that a mathematical moidel of eddowes possible meanderings in relation to police beats might be useful.

Then he might be grateful for a friendly face like Dr Jari ( HAD YE NOT ALIENATED HIM WITH YER FILTHY MANNERS!) who could put said ripperologist in touch with a grad student in mathematics with time to spare.

Of course you dont need any help from anyone as you are a legend in your own lunchtime.

P
            Oh, I need plenty of help. Lots of help. And I get it from those who care about and know about the subject. The ones you keep calling 'nutters'.

Thanks for showing up, Debs. I feel I'd been left alone in a room with Mr. Poster for far too long.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• If you cared so much about it you might have considered trying to limit the damage its image is sustaining through the ill advised rantings in the thick of which you are often to be found.

Each man kills the thing he loves. . . . . As the poem goes.

P

Comment

No idea. Who spoke at it

P
                I have no idea, I didn't attend, that's why I'm asking. I seem to recall from posts afterwards that although all the talks were enjoyable there was a feeling that most of the speakers were at a basic level of understanding the case and they also concentrated on the social history aspects of the case more than what could be done to specifically identify JTR and also analysing why so many of us are fascinated by the case.

Comment

• Sounds like most ripper conferences.

Anyone naming suspects these days might as well paint a bullseye on their head.
                  Was Chris G. not at that conference?

I wonder was it just a drinking session.

Po

Comment

Sounds like most ripper conferences.

Anyone naming suspects these days might as well paint a bullseye on their head.
                    Was Chris G. not at that conference?

I wonder was it just a drinking session.

Po
                    It's not PC to name suspects that's why.Some see it as disrespectful to the victims (academics included.. possibly mainly?).

la la

Comment

• So what sort of respect to the victims are all the photoshop Kells face type of thrrads?

Of all the stuff that goes on, naming suspects must be the least offensive.

P

Comment

If you cared so much about it you might have considered trying to limit the damage its image is sustaining through the ill advised rantings in the thick of which you are often to be found.

Each man kills the thing he loves. . . . . As the poem goes.

P
                        I publish and promote. What do you do? If those in the field take umbrage at what I publish and how I promote they'll let me know, will they not? As for limiting the damage, what do you propose I do? Take all publishers hostage? The best I can do is try to get at the facts as I see them and share what I learn.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Polish historians.
                          Now there's a joke in there somewhere.

After researching his own family tree, a Polish historian found out he was the sap.
                          Best Wishes,
                          Cris Malone

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                            It's not PC to name suspects that's why.Some see it as disrespectful to the victims (academics included.. possibly mainly?).

la la
                            Really? Surely just an oversensitive minority feel that way. Serious attempts to get at the Ripper's identity could be no more disrespectful to the victims than a detective trying to solve a current murder case.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                              Really? Surely just an oversensitive minority feel that way. Serious attempts to get at the Ripper's identity could be no more disrespectful to the victims than a detective trying to solve a current murder case.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                              You are reacting as if that is my view? That was the thinking behind the Drexel academic conference- from a quick google skim.
                              I like suspect ripperology. I thinks it's a necessity. I'm here because of Stephen
                              Knight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                                You are reacting as if that is my view? That was the thinking behind the Drexel academic conference- from a quick google skim.
                                I like suspect ripperology. I thinks it's a necessity. I'm here because of Stephen
                                Knight.
                                I didn't suggest that YOU think that, I was just questioning if the PC minority had obtained a loud enough voice yet. Although to my knowledge you've never done any research at all into any suspect whatsoever, so maybe you are a closet suspect-hater.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X