Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Ripper Conference In The U.K.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    You mention 'reasoning' as being the problem. But isn't DNA science supposed to be absolute and avoid of 'reason'? Such science isn't supposed to require endless speculation and suspension of disbelief, is it?

    Another note of irony on this thread is you pointing out that the contracts of 'traditional publishing' are possibly the reason why Jari is allowing others to profit off his mistakes to the detriment of the public, while Mr. P is espousing the virtues of 'traditional publishing' as being the best and most honest way of producing books.

    Yours truly,

    Tom Wescott

    Word twisting again Tom? I espouse the academic system as the best method of publishing non fiction material.

    Traditional or the new age models are probably best for fiction.

    P

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Maria Birbili View Post
      Actually, it rather puzzles me that Paul Begg appears to be impressed with Jari Louhelainen, or at least, very protective of him. I was wondering why that is.
      Am I actually reading the same posts as everyone else?!
      If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
        Word twisting again Tom? I espouse the academic system as the best method of publishing non fiction material.

        Traditional or the new age models are probably best for fiction.

        P
        The academic system? You mean charging ridiculous prices for dry tomes and charging the author almost full price for their own copies? I assume you're aware that non-fiction outsells fiction in the western world and that the vast majority of non-fiction books are not 'academic' at all. But then, you've never published a book, so...

        Yours truly,

        Tom Wescott

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          The academic system? You mean charging ridiculous prices for dry tomes and charging the author almost full price for their own copies? I assume you're aware that non-fiction outsells fiction in the western world and that the vast majority of non-fiction books are not 'academic' at all. But then, you've never published a book, so...

          Yours truly,

          Tom Wescott
          I dont know why youre knickers are in a twist. You publih fiction and the cheap publishing model works well for you.
          So all is right with the world.
          P

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            and charging the author almost full price for their own copies?
            OK, that they don't do. 30 copies for free + 50 copies for 10% of the market price.


            And if one's signed with an authors' collecting society in Germany (which one can sign for free, without charge), their Habilitationsshrift gets published for free, all costs covered by the authors' collecting society. Which means, I can publish my second book for free.
            Best regards,
            Maria

            Comment


            • starving

              Hello Tom.

              "You mean charging ridiculous prices for dry tomes and charging the author almost full price for their own copies?"

              Sad, but true. My second published essay was included in a two volume set, "Handbook of Ontology and Metaphysics." It was published by some German firm. Over twenty years ago, the two volumes sold for well over $300 (USD). Being a starving student I could not afford to see my own work.

              Cheers.
              LC

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                The academic system? You mean charging ridiculous prices for dry tomes and charging the author almost full price for their own copies? I assume you're aware that non-fiction outsells fiction in the western world and that the vast majority of non-fiction books are not 'academic' at all. But then, you've never published a book, so...

                Yours truly,

                Tom Wescott
                Non/fiction but nonacademic maybe. meaning the material in them is not as trustworthy as a nice peer reviewed piece of work.

                P

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Lynn Cates View Post
                  Sad, but true. My second published essay was included in a two volume set, "Handbook of Ontology and Metaphysics." It was published by some German firm. Over twenty years ago, the two volumes sold for well over $300 (USD). Being a starving student I could not afford to see my own work.
                  Wow, they didn't send each author one volume?! Thugs!

                  Today they do, and in Germany you get about 100-€ royalties per article. (Which does not exactly pay the bills…)
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
                    I dont know why youre knickers are in a twist. You publih fiction and the cheap publishing model works well for you.
                    So all is right with the world.
                    P
                    So now my book is fiction, is it? It won a Best History Book award, you know. Fiction doesn't typically do that.

                    Yours truly,

                    Tom Wescott

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Maria Birbili View Post
                      OK, that they don't do. 30 copies for free + 50 copies for 10% of the market price.


                      And if one's signed with an authors' collecting society in Germany (which one can sign for free, without charge), their Habilitationsshrift gets published for free, all costs covered by the authors' collecting society. Which means, I can publish my second book for free.
                      That's not your direct price though, is it? Don't make me dig through my e-mails. Incidentally, what's the retail price of your book?

                      Yours truly,

                      Tom Wescott

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
                        Non/fiction but nonacademic maybe. meaning the material in them is not as trustworthy as a nice peer reviewed piece of work.

                        P
                        Ripper books are peer reviewed but are not academic.

                        Yours truly,

                        Tom Wescott

                        Comment


                        • I not sure I understand the point of this argument. Ripper books have never been published by an academic press outlet that I know of. Ripper articles that appear in academic journals are typically rife with errors, and the best Ripper works of the last 20 years, with a few exceptions, are small press or self published. The only decent Ripper book that I can think of that was brought out by a University Press (different from an academic press) was Jack the Ripper and the London Press, from Yale, and even that contained errors, and was not "peer-reviewed".

                          Shelden, Hutchinson, Chris Scott, Helena and Tom and Neil Bell are small press or self-published.

                          What's the problem?

                          This back and forth about academic publishing versus self publishing is, to me, boring, pointless and off-topic.

                          JM

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            So now my book is fiction, is it? It won a Best History Book award, you know. Fiction doesn't typically do that.

                            Yours truly,

                            Tom Wescott
                            Good for you Tom! From who? I always knew fan fiction would breakthrough to the mainstream one day!
                            Pr

                            Comment


                            • Hi Lars

                              Cogdinibus or whatevers indignant accusation of charlatanry is here on thes epages somewhere.
                              I was not going to comment further on these matters, (particularly having regard to the embarassing situation with WS1888), but since you've now quoted me twice, somewhat out of context, "listen very carefully" (as Michelle of the Resistance was apt to say) "for I shall say this only once"...and I mean that...

                              I've maintained all along, both here and the other place, that neither Russell nor Jari set out with any intention of fraudulent claim in mind...far from it...I believe Russell has got hooked on the Ripper story the same way many of us have...it's got him by the genitals and has led him a few steps too far, and perhaps his claims of the book are therefore rash...

                              However, by refusing to either engage, or respond to criticisms/doubts regarding the research, (raised not only by Ripperologists, but by half a dozen respected scientists, including the guy who actually wrote the software Jari used) not just here, or on Casebook, but also in the Independent newspaper, (print and online), they did themselves no favours. Whatever else, it gave the appearance of hushing up an awkward secret in order to prop up continuing book sales...

                              So far so good, but then came the unfortunate affair of the Whitechapel Society's Convention. There was a refusal to consider any question posed, other than in writing, before the date...moreover, a refusal to consider any question previously written by any person not personally attending...a late attempt to pose a question being turned down...

                              Then a refusal to continue unless a known critic of the book and his partner were excluded, (which shamefully the Society apparently accepted)...and, as I understand it, a refusal to discuss anything relating to the DNA evidence at all...and then bringing along the "heavies"... (really?)

                              Now to the otherwise uninformed observer, do these actions indicate those of honest men, or do they suggest a couple of guys who want to continue selling books? At this point, and only at this point, did I make my comment. Was it harsh? Yes possibly...Was it honest opinion? Yes definitely...Was it factual? Only time will tell...it has to be said, the longer the silence continues the worse they look...

                              Notwithstanding which, my comment was published AFTER the conference, and can have had no effect whatever on how Russell and Jari conducted themselves at said conference...contrary to your implied assertions...If you chose not to apologise I'll understand completely what you are and where you're coming from...

                              That's all I have to say...I won't be led to comment any further...

                              All the best

                              Dave

                              Comment


                              • gratuity

                                Hello Maria. Thanks.

                                No, not a copy. They did offer a 4 Deutschmark gratuity. But my professor warned that, if I accepted, there might be trouble with postage and, if so, I would go in the hole for the stamp. (heh-heh)

                                Cheers.
                                LC

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X