Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lynn Cates View Post
    Hello Maria. Thanks.
    No, not a copy. They did offer a 4 Deutschmark gratuity. But my professor warned that, if I accepted, there might be trouble with postage and, if so, I would go in the hole for the stamp.
    Ouch. Thugs.

Originally posted by JMenges View Post
    I not sure I understand the point of this argument. Ripper books have never been published by an academic press outlet that I know of. Ripper articles that appear in academic journals are typically rife with errors, and the best Ripper works of the last 20 years, with a few exceptions, are small press or self published. The only decent Ripper book that I can think of that was brought out by a University Press (different from an academic press) was Jack the Ripper and the London Press, from Yale, and even that contained errors, and was not "peer-reviewed".
    Absolutely.

Originally posted by JMenges View Post
    What's the problem?
    You mean, apart from Mr Poster, who keeps whining about Ripperological research not being published "academically"?
    Apart from this, no problem whatsoever.
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

• The only decent Ripper book that I can think of that was brought out by a University Press (different from an academic press) was Jack the Ripper and the London Press, from Yale, and even that contained errors, and was not "peer-reviewed".

-JMenges-

Ripperology by Robin Odell was published by Kent State University....that's one more that comes to mind.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

Comment

• with apologies for the hijacked thread

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        That's not your direct price though, is it? Don't make me dig through my e-mails. Incidentally, what's the retail price of your book?
        You don't wanna know, lol.
        $ 85.95 or 65.40-€ or £ 52 for the hardcover. I didn't fix the price, the publisher did. But it's a book that's oriented towards libraries and institutions, which will likely buy almost the entire contingent. Profs can afford it too. Students can borrow it from the library (and xerox it).

And btw it's already selling second hand on amazon.de.

And in certain parts of Europe my eBook is more expensive than the hardcover. :-O But this is because the publisher prepares eBooks strictly on demand.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

• Back to the thread....
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
            The only decent Ripper book that I can think of that was brought out by a University Press (different from an academic press) was Jack the Ripper and the London Press, from Yale, and even that contained errors, and was not "peer-reviewed".

-JMenges-

Ripperology by Robin Odell was published by Kent State University....that's one more that comes to mind.
            Hi Howard. Kent State seems to publish popular true crime books with some regularity, and some pretty good ones too. They're in no way academic.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
              The academic system? You mean charging ridiculous prices for dry tomes and charging the author almost full price for their own copies?
              Will you please send me a free copy?

Comment

• Science is a series of approximations. The series of approximations are based on assumptions, some good, some not so good. As an engineer, I make judgments all the time based on empirical data. Is the data valid? I think so, otherwise, I wouldn't risk making conclusions that I do. But, like it or not, science (fallible) progresses by such means -- a series of what may be erroneous assumptions. You correct yourself after the error(s) are apparent based on the incorrect assumptions you made, and carry on. No real fault -- that's just the normal process of inquiry.

--back to my pints of ale...

Comment

• science

Hello Scott. If you will permit me.

Science (noun)--infallible. It is a large set of ONLY true propositions. Some of these we know; others not. We TRY to discover those propositions through inquiry.

Science (possibly with quotes) (verb)--fallible. It involves our seeking to establish the set above.

There are also levels of 'science.' Unfortunately, there is no distinction in the discipline itself to disambiguate this.

Assumptions? Indeed. ALL science (noun or verb) makes three base assumptions:

1. There is an external material world.

2. Our five senses give us more or less accurate information about that world.

3. The future shall be like the past regarding scientific "laws."

(Remind me to reproduce all my favourite engineer jokes.)

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                    The only decent Ripper book that I can think of that was brought out by a University Press (different from an academic press) was Jack the Ripper and the London Press, from Yale, and even that contained errors, and was not "peer-reviewed".

-JMenges-

How is a university press not academic?

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    Hi Howard. Kent State seems to publish popular true crime books with some regularity, and some pretty good ones too. They're in no way academic.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    Same remark.
                    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

• but since you've now quoted me twice, somewhat out of context, "listen very carefully" (as Michelle of the Resistance was apt to say) "for I shall say this only once"...and I mean that...
                      Hello Cog. Not sure how I quoted you out of context seeing as you called them charlatans. Your serious tone however is not lost on me so.......

I've maintained all along, both here and the other place, that neither Russell nor Jari set out with any intention of fraudulent claim in mind...far from it...
                      Except when you stated they were charlatans.

However, by refusing to either engage, or respond to criticisms/doubts regarding the research, (raised not only by Ripperologists, but by half a dozen respected scientists, including the guy who actually wrote the software Jari used) not just here, or on Casebook,
                      Why should Louhelainen answer anything. He hasnt written a book. No one has ever found anything wrong with any of his statements. He hasnt said he has definitely identified Jck the Ripper. He has distanced himself from Edwrads more rash statements.

So why should he answer anything simply because someone else has written that he said something providing no context and in a book littered with oddities.

IN addition...why should he answer anything on these forums given the tone of abuse that was being flung about?

Im not commenting on the WS1888 debacle. But you have an unfortunate habit of lumping these two people together. I doubt Louhelaienen brought an unlicenced boxer along as security.

At this point, and only at this point, did I make my comment. Was it harsh? Yes possibly...Was it honest opinion? Yes definitely...Was it factual? Only time will tell...it has to be said, the longer the silence continues the worse they look...
                      So that means that I can call Howard Brown a dirty cattle rustler and thats alright becuse time will tell? Its ok to accuse people of being charlatans because it may turn out to be right in the future?

Notwithstanding which, my comment was published AFTER the conference, and can have had no effect whatever on how Russell and Jari conducted themselves at said conference...contrary to your implied assertions...If you chose not to apologise I'll understand completely what you are and where you're coming from...
                      Why would I apologise for using your example to illustrate the type of comments to be found on websites about the doctor? Its a comment, you made it, its about
                      the doctor and its on a website. Or do you deny any of the above?

Im not apologising for facts.

p

Comment

• Originally posted by JMenges View Post
                        JM
                        John Bennett and I will silently walk away, our heads hung low, tears puddling the ground, hit by the knowledge that our efforts were just so much chopped liver. sniff. We are numbered now among the forgotten, victims of an unforgiving world....

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Poster View Post
                          I doubt Louhelaienen brought an unlicenced boxer along as security.
                          I have it on very good authority that Darren is one of Russell's long-time best friends and came along because he's interested in the subject, even to the point of wanting his photo taken with me! I don't think he came along as security, just as a mate because Russell's wife has absolutely no interest in the subject.

Comment

• If Even if they were security what does that say?
                            It is more of a condemnation of the 'community' for making a speaker feel he was potentially under threat of some sort of attack. I believe the people who made 'threats' to disrupt proceedings subsequently said they were joking. Maybe. And I'm sure that in the face of similar jokes I would personally not feel it necessary to bring any reinforcements but we are all different.

Where they there to prevent anyone asking awkward questions?
                            Hardly. Robert Anderson asked away.

Did they act in a threatening or intimidating manner?
                            No.

Where they friendly when spoken to (by people who bothered to speak to them).
                            Yes.

Where they introduced to everyone?
                            No - but then no one else was formally introduced apart from the speakers. I only raise this as I have seen a suggestion somewhere that they should have been formally introduced to everyone so all attendees could know who or what they were.

But then, the propaganda version of events is so much better to excite indignation.

Comment

• CG:
                              JMenges mentioned one book and I brought up Odell's.
                              Paul and John's book was also put out by Yale Press. Sorry for overlooking you, Paul !

By the way, thats one heck of a resume, Lars. I'm impressed...
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

• Not sure how I quoted you out of context seeing as you called them charlatans
                                Look at the title of the thread...how is anything I said post-conference going to influence their behaviour at said conference?

Im not commenting on the WS1888 debacle.
                                Then why the feck are you on this thread at all? Again, look at the title...

Why would I apologise for using your example to illustrate the type of comments to be found on websites about the doctor? Its a comment, you made it, its about
                                the doctor and its on a website. Or do you deny any of the above?
                                Because you've been caught out as either a total dimwit or a lying troll...my "charlatans" comment was made after the conference...as a result of what happened there...

End of...I'm outta here

Comment

Working...
                                X