Picking The Panel's Brains : Questions For The Conference Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking The Panel's Brains : Questions For The Conference Panel

Please provide your questions for the panel which will appear at the 21st Anniversary Convention.

In addition, if your question is for one specific panelist, please state so.

Thank you.

We are very pleased to announce that our after-dinner event for the Ripperologist magazine 21st Conference will be a panel debate featuring

PAUL BEGG,
    JOAN LOCK,
    MARK RIPPER,
    NEIL BELL
    TREVOR BOND.

Chaired by RICHARD JONES, the theme of the debate will be "Jack the Ripper and the Detectives", which will see the panel discussing police activity during the Whitechapel murders and other Victorian crime by way of comparison.

We will be asking delegates to send in their questions for the panel in advance.

PAUL BEGG is one of the leading authorities on Jack the Ripper, having published his first book on the subject, "Jack the Ripper: The Uncensored Facts" in 1988, which was completely revised in 2006. Paul has also written "Jack the Ripper: The Definitive History", and is co-author of "The Jack the Ripper A-Z", "The Complete and Essential Jack the Ripper" and "Jack the Ripper: The Forgotten Victims". Paul is Reviews Editor for Ripperologist magazine.

JOAN LOCK is a much-respected authority of early detectives, with books on the subject including "Tales From Bow Street" and "Dreadful Deeds and Awful Murders: Scotland Yard's First Detectives ". A former nurse and policewoman, Joan has written a total of eleven non-fiction books on police and crime, including "Scotland Yard's First Cases", "Scotland Yard Casebook" and "The British Policewoman". In 2013 she released an extensively-researched book on the Princess Alice Disaster.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

This one is obvious...so obvious I'm afraid it wouldn't have been thought of. And might be the most difficult question posed to the panel. My question is:

What's your favorite issue of Ripperologist?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

In a similar vein for Neil : if you could be one policeman other than Abberline, who would it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        In a similar vein for Neil : if you could be one policeman other than Abberline, who would it be?
        Do I answer that now or leave it until September?

Monty
        ;-)

Comment

Whichever you like, Monty. It can be any policeman, from PC to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
            Whichever you like, Monty. It can be any policeman, from PC to the top.
            Halse

Monty

Comment

Neil:
              Hand on heart, if you asked me which one I thought you'd want to 'be' at that time, Halse would have been one of the top two. Abberline or Warren would be the other one.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks Monty. Maybe you could expand on that at the conference.

Comment

Nope, not Abberline or Warren.

Possibly Swanson, most likely Thick as he seems to be my kinda person.

Halse simply because his record is outstanding, and therefore his gratuities must have totted up.

Monty
                  ;-)

Comment

I figured Halse because of his role in the GSG....not his record.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

His career as a whole seems interesting How.

Yes, the GSG is part of that.

Monty

Comment

Not Mizen?

Thick the corrupt tool of the Lords of Spitalfields?

or

Thick the basically honest upright copper who did what he had to do?

Comment

Neil's a hard worker. A lazier man would have picked Anderson so he could be on vacation the entire time.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

What about Thain, such an upright guy that a Manc slaughterman, who barely knew him from Adam, was prepared to perjure himself to make sure he didn't get his wrist slapped for retrieving his cape a few minutes early?

Comment

Question to Paul Begg (because I can't think of anyone else* on the panel who may know):

Do you think Mike Barrett knew anything more about the Maybrick Diary than he let on to, before he died?

(it doesn't have anything to do with detective work during the crimes, but an opinion would be appreciated).

* there are others not on the panel, but they aren't corresponding with me for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X