A Study in Red - Movie News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Study in Red - Movie News

Hi everyone, first of all I have to say it's great to be back! The quickest explanation I can give for my protracted absence is that I have been very unwell for some time and about a year ago my physical problems became so acute that I almost had a total mental breakdown...enough said. It's taken a while but thanks to some incredible support from Mario, the CEO of Thunderball Films, I've managed to fight back and am now (almost) back to where I was before my collapse, though I'm very limited in what I can do and can only do things in very short spells.

Now for the real news!

You may remember that Thunderball International Films had signed my three Ripper novels to a movie contract some time ago. I've since learned that unless your name is Speilberg/Lucas etc, it can take a long time for a movie project to advance from the signing of contracts to actual development and production. There are just so many individual disciplines involved in movie making and so much has to be arranged and put in place before anything as important as casting for the film can take place. I'm delighted to report that things are now beginning to move apace with regards to A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper.

Having written the book I was flattered when Mario Domina, CEO of Thunderball Films, invited me to co-write the screenplay for the movie with the more experienced British screenplay writer, Andrew Jones. That being done, Mario helped me to learn the art of screenwriting, so that I am now working single-handedly on the screenplays for both Legacy of the Ripper and Requiem for the Ripper, both of which are being cast as a package along with A Study in Red and the other novels signed up by Thunderball.
    For some strange reason, seemingly as a reward for the work I've done on the projects so far, Mario has appointed me as an Associate Producer. Various behind the scenes roles have been filled, Casting Director, Executive Producers, Stills Photographer etc, and the early casting has brought British actress Mischa Barton (The Sixth Sense), on board who will star as Sarah Cavendish, wife of central character Robert Cavendish, Gia Skova (Assault on Wall Street), as the mother of the Ripper, and Isabella Jantz (Zodiac Killer) as Mary Kelly, (a role she will reprise in Requiem for the Ripper).
    We are especially delighted to have Mischa on board as notonly is she British, but she has her own fashion label with a store in Spitalfields, right in JTR's backyard, so to speak.

I hope to be able to post regular updates as development of the movie pregresses, and in the meantime, information on all the movies can be found on the media page at Thunderball Films website at http://thunderballfilms.com/new2_media.php

The books are of course available from Amazon and other outlets.

So, best regards and Happy New Year wishes to all, and it really is good to be back.

Brian

Excellent news that you are on the mend Brian. Looking forward to taking Susan to cinema to see the movie.

Comment

Bump up of Brian's threadstarter....the news about A Study In Red...
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
        Excellent news that you are on the mend Brian. Looking forward to taking Susan to cinema to see the movie.
        Thanks Mike,

Really good to hear from you. I've almost finished the screenplay for 'Legacy of the Ripper' and will then be starting on 'Requiem for the Ripper' which of course stars a character based on your good self as you may remember. Hope you like how it turns out.

Hope things are good for you.

Brian

Comment

JTR found in Hollywood? Latest Update on Movie Development

Hello again, everyone. I though you might appreciate a view of an article that will shortly be released for general consumption. It seems JTR has been located alive and well, and living in Hollywood!!! Well, at least the actor secured to play the role has been found there, as you can read below. Jack O'Halloran is best known for his role in Superman II but has a long and distinguished track record in the movie business and has been chosen as the ideal choice to play the shadowy figure that is JTR in the movie. So for now, please, read on!

A STUDY IN RED – THE SECRET JOURNAL OF JACK THE RIPPER
          MOVIE UPDATE

The development of the movie adaptation of forum member Brian L Porter’s (more recently remembered as the judge of our short story contests), gripping novel, A Study in Red – The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, is currently gathering pace, with many exciting developments currently taking place. Produced by Mario Domina of Thunderball International Films, with a screenplay co-written by author Brian L Porter and Andrew Jones, the casting process of the film is proceeding in earnest.

Some exciting names have already been added to the cast, with Jack O’Halloran (Remember him as the strong silent one in company with General Zod in Superman 2?), cast as Jack the Ripper, and beautiful British actress Mischa Barton (Notting Hill, The Sixth Sense) as his wife Sarah Cavendish. Fashionistas may be interested to know that Mischa now has her own designer brand and owns a shop in Spitalfields, not far from JTRs old hunting ground. Talented German born Isabella Jantz will play Mary Jane Kelly while the gorgeous international model and actress Gia Skova, (Blunt Force, Assault on Wall Street) is cast as The Mother of the Ripper. Highly experienced character actor Bruno Iannone will assume the role of Doctor Malcolm Silas. We hope to announce the male lead to play Robert Cavendish very soon.

Talks are currently ongoing with a number of other actors in order to complete the cast list of what promises to be an exciting and very scary movie!

On the technical side, Producers are Mario Domina, Nuala Barton and serving as Executive Producer and Production Accountant is Robert Graham. Author-Screenwriter Brian L Porter will serve as an Associate Producer along with Melissa A. Smith of Canada, who is handling Canadian Casting. Thunderball films has been delighted to sign Victor Barriga as Unit Production Manager. Highly talented, Victor was Unit Production Manager on the Bond movie Quantum of Solace in Panama. Experienced in the writing of music for the movies, Canadian composer Iain Kelso has been commissioned to write an original film score to accompany the movie. Stills photography will be by Anita Jantz.

All in all, Thunderball Films are delighted with the current progress of the project and hope to keep forum members regularly updated with both Author Brian and Producer Mario being members of JTR Forums.com, and members can always check on the latest developments by visiting Thunderball’s website at www.thunderballfilms.com and going to the ‘Media’ page. A short video trailer is also available to view there.

Brian is currently working on the screenplay for the adaptation of the second book in his trilogy, Legacy of the Ripper. which will of course be followed by the final part of the trilogy, Requiem for the Ripper. Brian’s novels are of course still available from Amazon and all good retail outlets.

So, for now, please, watch this space.

Comment

Sounds great Brian

I remember Mr O'Halloran well as I'm often drawing or viewing comic book type superheroes

Looking forward to it

I'd re-issue a new trailer when you get some shots from the film

Comment

Big Jack O' Halloran....soon to be Jack The Ripper

To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                Sounds great Brian

I remember Mr O'Halloran well as I'm often drawing or viewing comic book type superheroes

Looking forward to it

I'd re-issue a new trailer when you get some shots from the film

Hi Nemo,

Yes, the current trailer is really the book trailer, and once the early scenes are shot of course, Thunderball will be releasing a trailer suitable for cinema audiences etc.

Jack is great as...er....Jack!
                Best regards

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                  Big Jack O' Halloran....soon to be Jack The Ripper

Hi How,

Yes, that's our boy!

Best regards

Brian

Comment

Latest from Thunderball Films - The Whitechapel Society 1888

Hi everyone,

Mario at Thunderball Films has asked me to pass on the latest piece of news concerning the development of the movie and its sequels. The following item appears on the Thunderball Films website at www.thunderballfilms.com in the Media section. This is terrific for both Thunderball and The Whitechapel Society 1888 who will receive various benefits from their collaborating in the movie trilogy, not least of course, the fact that they will receive a good deal of international pubicity through Thunderball and IMDb (The International Movie database), hopefully increasing interest in the society and its aims. Mario is extremely grateful to the Society's committee for their agreement to collaborate in the production of A Study in Red and its sequels. So, without further ado, here is the announcement which now appears on the Thunderball Films website.

THE WHITECHAPEL SOCIETY IN LONDON SUPPORTING MARKETING OF A STUDY IN RED TRILOGY:

2-18-14

ThunderBall is very pleased to announce the official and full marketing-promotional support of THE WHITECHAPEL SOCIETY 1888 in London, UK for our trilogy of Brian Porter novels on Jack the Ripper:

A Study in Red: The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper

Legacy of the Ripper

Requiem for the Ripper

The Whitechapel Society 1888 promotes the study of the Whitechapel murders and Jack the Ripper, the social impact that this event had on the East End of London.

The Whitechapel Society 1888 also promotes the study of the Victorian-Edwardian life and culture in the East End of London.

Here is their website and those interested in knowing more about this piece of historical case information on Jack the Ripper as well as the Victorian era overall, think about joining or visiting their official website:

http://www.whitechapelsociety.com

Please direct any inquiries on the projects through the forums.

Regards to all

Brian
                    Last edited by Brian Porter; February 23, 2014, 03:38 AM. Reason: colour change

Comment

Inspector Abberline Takes a Bow, (And so does Mike)

Well, well, here we have yet another update with some really exciting news for everyone connected with The Forums. Our very own Mike Covell has graciously accepted an invitation to join the team producing not ony A Study in Red, The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper but the other two films in the trilogy, Legacy of the Ripper, and Requiem for the Ripper. Mike will not only be helping to actively promote the movies but will also be using his vast knowledge of the subject to help and advice the team on matters of historical accuracy and all matters pertaining to the murder scenes and other aspects as required.

As for Abberline

Mike has also agreed to make an cameo appearance in the movie and he has accepted the role of Inspector Frederick Abberline, who features towards the end of the film. Con
                      gratulations Mike!

This information is already on the Thunderball Films Website at www.thunderballfilms.com in the Media section and is also listed on the individual movie pages on the movie industry website at IMDb.com

Here is the official announcement which was issued by Thunderball Films this afternoon.

ThunderBall brings on Ripper Expert, Mike Covell for JTR Trilogy by Brian Porter:
                      ThunderBall is pleased to announce the signing of famed Ripper Historian and Paranormal Expert, Mike Covell of Hull, England.

Mike Covell is a historian based in England who specializes on the darker side of history. His work and research includes cases of true crime, murder, and main area of expertise is the Jack the Ripper case.

In the years Mike has been researching JTR, he has lectured, taught, written, and advised on the case in a number of mediums. He has appeared on television locally, nationally and internationally, appeared on radio shows locally, nationally and internationally, and appeared on Rippercast and RipperRadio discussing the case and its many areas of interest.

He runs a Ripper blog at Casebook.org, which is the most visited Ripper blog online, and is a moderator at jtrforums.com, as well as acting as a moderator on numerous social media Jack the Ripper pages.

Mike has appeared in numerous newspaper articles on the JTR case, and in numerous books, both fiction and non-fiction.

Mike was recently described by a BBC host as a CLEARING HOUSE FOR RIPPER RESEARCHERS.

He also offer tours in his home city that look at the cities connection to the case through his company Amazing Hull Tours.

Mike is 35 years old and happily married, with three children.

Regards to all

Brian

Comment

Further news, Mike Covell, Movie Star!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

As a busy week comes to a close, we can now announce that the decision has been made to film all the external location shots for the movie in London, with the interiors being filmed in Calgary, Canada.

A search has now been instigated to find suitable locations, with Thunderball's location manager hard at work to find the optimum sites for location shooting.

Of course, with our very own Mike Covell portraying Abberline, the movie cannot fail to be a success. Thanks for fitting us in to your busy schedule Mike. (See yesterday's update).

More news as it becomes available.

Best regards to all

Brian

Comment

Hi Brian. How many nude scenes have you managed to talk the impressionable Covell into?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            Hi Brian. How many nude scenes have you managed to talk the impressionable Covell into?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                            Hi Tom,

We told him it was going to be a bit like 'HAIR' so the whole thing is going to be shot in the nude. Mike's only concern was where he was going to keep his pipe between scenes!!!

Comment

New Production Company Formed

Hi everyone. Things continue to happen on an almost daily basis at present, and Mario has sent the following information, which is great news for the movie, as it improves the overall financial background to the project.
                              Effective immediately, Rob Graham is no longer an Executive Producer of A Study in Red, nor associated with this franchise or ThunderBall, due to the project moving in a new and more positive direction. As a result he will no longer be responsible for the handling of any financial matters pertaining to the project. ThunderBall Films, LLC and Mania Entertainment, Ltd. have executed an Agreement to form a new Joint Venture company in the UK entitled ThunderMania Productions, Ltd., which will not impede the current ThunderBall-Whitechapel collaboration in any way and be fully supported by the new venture. Although ThunderBall/ThunderMania will typically seek traditional industry financing from studios, networks, etc. a formal Co-production partnership with a Canadian corporation to fund, in association with ThunderMania will provide most of the budget for the film.

Comment

Working...
                              X