Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, got you. Well, I don't see how this can possibly fail.

Comment

• Enthusiasts and Lovers unite!

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      Ah, got you. Well, I don't see how this can possibly fail.
      Think 'juggernaut'.

Originally posted by Rick Cobb
      it'll be a voice for the enthusiasts and crime lovers alike.
      It's about time we had a vehicle to bring these too groups together. On my facebook page, people are often afraid to speak up, and I didn't understand why. But then they'd explain to me 'Tom, I'm intimidated by enthusiasts like you, but I love crime. What do I do?' And I'd typically respond, with some measure of cynicism, "Do you really love crime?" And they'd say "Yes! I love it! I love crime so much!" So, naturally, I would ask "But are you enthusiastic about crime?" They'd get somber and admit "No, I love crime. I do! But I just can't get to your level of enthusiasm. I'll never be an enthusiast." This would make me feel bad. But just because I'm an enthusiast doesn't mean I'm better than a lover, does it? However, my page is for enthusiasts only, so I'd have to turn these people away. They'd ask 'Where can I go to have a voice for my crime love?"

I didn't have an answer for these poor souls.

Now I do.

Thanks Ricky.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Crime magazines

In the UK you can go into any newsagent and buy one of four monthly crime magazines, or three quarterly. Plus the odd winter special, etc.

What will the dagger add in this era of the Internet, where most people with an interest will look first for information?

Serious question, Ricky.

Comment

• Sure wuz a purdy day today. One less day than I had left yesterday. Wuz worth it though. Got a lot of work done and even saved a fawn ( that's a baby deer for you city folks) from being hit by automobiles in the road. Sounds like some of y'all just chalked off a day for nothing.
          Glad I've been weening myself off of Ripperology.
          Best Wishes,
          Cris Malone

Comment

• Hi Cris. I did a radio show about the Ripper and got a tiny bit more work done on my book, so not a waste here.

I feel bad though. Like perhaps I had a little too much fun on this thread today. That's all it was, just me making myself laugh, although it probably makes no sense to anyone else and I appear insane.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Tom and Cris,

Stop using this thread to further your own agenda.

It is about time How got a grip of this site, there is far too much enthusiasm for my liking.

Monty
              :-)

Comment

• I must admit I had naively assumed the Dagger was already a going concern, based on the photo of four printed issues of it on the website.

Comment

• Nothing more than some Photoshop smoke and mirrors that I did over a year ago. If it materialises as a real item, well it won't look like that.

Comment

• Ha , if id known this would get you guys talking as much id have posted it much earlier. From now on there will be a dagger announcement with every conference announcement.

Anyway .

Right you are there guys. The photo on the website is a mere mock up that was quickly put together. It'll look far more professional than that once it comes out.

The target audience is middle of the road , something that's informative but entertaining at same time.

Id really like it if you guys could dissect it professionally and give me genuine feedback.

There will be a regular section on Jack the Ripper which im looking for a quirky name for. I was going to call it "The Ripper Files" but sounds a bit obvious.

What would you call it ?

Ricky

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      Tom and Cris,

Stop using this thread to further your own agenda.

It is about time How got a grip of this site, there is far too much enthusiasm for my liking.

Monty
                      :-)
                      Ha! Nice try, Neil. We all know what a Ripper enthusiast you are, to say nothing of police enthusiast, so it's no use you trying to tell us enthusiasts to be less enthusiastic. It won't work.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Ricky, you should title your Ripper news section 'I Beg to Report', which is how police reports used to begin. That would be totally original.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGP View Post
                        I must admit I had naively assumed the Dagger was already a going concern, based on the photo of four printed issues of it on the website.
                        Yes, as Ripperologist celebrates its 21st anniversary, The Dagger is gearing up to celebrate it's 2nd anniversary. To do that they plan on putting out the first issue.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          Ha! Nice try, Neil. We all know what a Ripper enthusiast you are, to say nothing of police enthusiast, so it's no use you trying to tell us enthusiasts to be less enthusiastic. It won't work.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Ricky, you should title your Ripper news section 'I Beg to Report', which is how police reports used to begin. That would be totally original.
                          Somebody has already used "I beg to report'

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                            Somebody has already used "I beg to report'

Rob
                            You're a party pooper, Clack.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                              You're a party pooper, Clack.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                              Thats right

Comment

• Catherine Arnold

The Jack the Ripper Conference team is very pleased to announce our next speaker for November 2016:

CATHARINE ARNOLD :

JACK THE RIPPER - A London Monster.

The Ripper murders hold an enduring fascination as the greatest series of unsolved murders in the history of London.

Jack the Ripper continues to grip the popular imagination to this day, with serving and retired police officers, novelists and film makers all looking for a conclusive explanation for these horrific crimes. And yet the Ripper continues to elude us, flitting away out of sight with a twitch of his cloak.

One explanation for the continuing interest is the fact that the Ripper case contains many of the aspects of the Victorian sensation novel - including the distinctive locale of Whitechapel, the wretched female victims and the perception of the murderer as a sinister foreign gentleman.

The grim reality of these grisly murders, and the projected motives have combined to create a nightmare vision of Victorian London, in which fact and fiction have become blurred, a fantasy world in which the fictional Sherlock Holmes pursues the real Jack the Ripper through foggy streets forever.

By providing the legal background to the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885, which forced the prostitutes to work insolated, dangerous conditions to avoid prosecution, and examining the media's responses to the crimes, Catharine will put some flesh on the bones of this mysterious and menacing figure.'

About Catharine Arnold

Catharine Arnold read English at the University of Cambridge.

Arnold is the author of the acclaimed London Quartet (Simon & Schuster).Necropolis, London and its Dead, praised by Peter Ackroyd as ‘entertainment of the most garish and exquisite kind’; Bedlam, London and its Mad as ‘finely written, thoroughly researched and packed with moving stories’ (Independent) and City of Sin, London and its Vices ‘hugely entertaining’ (Jeanette Winterson) andUnderworld London, Crime and Punishment - ‘Arnold is the go-to historian for details of London’s grisly past’ – Mail on Sunday.

Globe, Life in Shakespeare’s London was published in (2015), ‘a book that has an historian's rigour but matched with a novelist's eye for all the quirky and telling details that make a human life’ Oxygen Books
                                Catharine has also appeared on The Grave Trade, (ITV) Time Team Bedlam Special with Tony Robinson (Channel Four) and Who Do You Think You Are (BBC1, with Alex Kingston) and Bedlam (History Channel).

BOOK YOUR PLACE NOW AT :

WWW.CRIMECONFERENCE.COM
                                To Join JTR Forums :
                                Contact [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X