• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catherine Eddowes Inquest Report

Reference Code: CLA/041/IQ/03/065
    FROM COLLECTION: CLA/041 - CITY OF LONDON CORONERS COURT
    /CLA/041/IQ - INQUESTS
    /CLA/041/IQ/03 - LONDON: 1838 - 24 June 1901
    ************************************************** ************************************

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

I've posted the first 17 pages of the 58 available for members to view before we put it out on the front page ( as of 4:45 this morning, Dec. 3.
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Oh wow...

Comment

Fantastic stuff!

It's not in this group, so presumably the inventory mentioning the shawl is in the stuff you haven't posted yet, along with which policeman it was given to.
        Thanks for your time,
        dusty miller

Comment

thanks

Hello Howard. Great work. Thanks.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Thanks, How, that's fascinating.

Sidebar: I got quite animated on seeing the pages written in blue, thinking we'd found a contemporary (1880s) source where the handwriting, although not matching that of the Diary, had a similarly "modern" feel. Then I saw that those specific pages were written in 1987, and my excitement faded away
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Hello Howard. Great work. Thanks.
              --------

The credit for us seeing the material goes to Jerry Dunlop, folks....but thank you anyway.
              More to come tonight....I've added two more pages this morning ....The entire file will be up by the end of the week at the latest.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Before I forget, the Eddowes Inquest file will appear in the order that these pages are found within the document. I won't skip around and place pages out of order.
                I just added two more just now....16 & 17. Wish I could stay home and post it all in one shot....alas.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I'm wondering if "Charles Tayler" (Juror) is the same man that owned the shops where the murder was committed? The picture frame maker. I see Edward Horner on the list of jurors although it doesn't appear he attended.

Comment

That's a bloody good "spot" Jerry...wonder what the legal position is if a potential witness is also called as a potential juror?
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                      That's a bloody good "spot" Jerry...wonder what the legal position is if a potential witness is also called as a potential juror?
                      Dave

A witness cannot sit on a jury !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

All done.
                        I would have had it posted an hour ago if Photobucket hadn't acted up and my computer hadn't froze on scan 101 ( Almost all of the pages are 2 separate attachments).
                        Thanks again to JD for presenting this to the Forums.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                          A witness cannot sit on a jury !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                          Clearly...but who decides which is the more crucial role, and using what legal yardstick? In a Coronial Court, I'm assuming the Coroner, and giving priority to the witness role...is that correct, and who decides in a Court of Law (as prosecution and defence are at liberty to call witnesses) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            Clearly...but who decides which is the more crucial role, and using what legal yardstick? In a Coronial Court, I'm assuming the Coroner, and giving priority to the witness role...is that correct, and who decides in a Court of Law (as prosecution and defence are at liberty to call witnesses) ?

When the potential jury members names are called, at that point objections will be raised and they would be stood down from the jury.

The witness role is more important than the role of a juror

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                              All done.
                              I would have had it posted an hour ago if Photobucket hadn't acted up and my computer hadn't froze on scan 101 ( Almost all of the pages are 2 separate attachments).
                              Thanks again to JD for presenting this to the Forums.

Thank you for posting the report in its entirety. I have said all long that the testimony given by the witnesses at the time and signed by them at the time is what should be relied on, and not newspaper reports which clearly differ in regards to certain important aspects of the murder, and that there were no other statements or comments or questions made or put to witnesses at the inquest outside of what is in the testimony.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X