Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion Thread For Mary Jane Kelly & The Victims Of Jack The Ripper ( Shelden)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Thread For Mary Jane Kelly & The Victims Of Jack The Ripper ( Shelden)

Discussion thread
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

First and foremost thank you How for arranging the on-site reproduction of that now-elusive e-book.

Comment

Yes, thanks How👍🏻

I’ve just read the Breezer's Hill chapter. We’ve updated that somewhat on here in recent years, having unearthed quite a bit more on Stephen Maywood and the Millers, found a new candidate for Mrs McCarthy, and learned what a vicious bastard Johannes Morgenstern actually was. In addition, we’ve noted the curious fact that not only did the ‘Breezers Hill Mob’ up sticks and move to Limehouse at pretty much the same time, they also had connections to Cornwall Street/Station Place, the home turf of the infamous Nod(d)ing clan.

I’m confused by the reference to a ‘young woman’ named Mary MacNamara who lived at 4, Breezers Hill. I think that must have been Stephen Maywood’s mother-in-law, who lived occasionally in Breezers Hill (no’s 1 and 4) and in Station Place.

Also the statement that 7, Pennington Street was ‘certainly’ in existence when Rose Brooks married John McCarthy in 1889. Nos 1-78 Pennington Street had been demolished at the beginning of the century when the London Docks were constructed.

One name that doesn’t feature is that of Maria Harvey. Although there is no evidence (that I’m aware of) that she ever lived in or around Breezer’s Hill, Debs found a record of her giving a Station Place address, which potentially links her to the BH group.

Harvey is someone I’ve been trying to track down for ages, but apart from her involvement in the Kelly case and the records of her stays in the Raine Street workhouse (St Geo E) that Debs found, I can’t find anything on her. She may well have been a link between Kelly and her former employers in the Highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        Yes, thanks How����

I’ve just read the Breezer's Hill chapter. We’ve updated that somewhat on here in recent years, having unearthed quite a bit more on Stephen Maywood and the Millers, found a new candidate for Mrs McCarthy, and learned what a vicious bastard Johannes Morgenstern actually was. In addition, we’ve noted the curious fact that not only did the ‘Breezers Hill Mob’ up sticks and move to Limehouse at pretty much the same time, they also had connections to Cornwall Street/Station Place, the home turf of the infamous Nod(d)ing clan.

I’m confused by the reference to a ‘young woman’ named Mary MacNamara who lived at 4, Breezers Hill. I think that must have been Stephen Maywood’s mother-in-law, who lived occasionally in Breezers Hill (no’s 1 and 4) and in Station Place.

Also the statement that 7, Pennington Street was ‘certainly’ in existence when Rose Brooks married John McCarthy in 1889. Nos 1-78 Pennington Street had been demolished at the beginning of the century when the London Docks were constructed.

One name that doesn’t feature is that of Maria Harvey. Although there is no evidence (that I’m aware of) that she ever lived in or around Breezer’s Hill, Debs found a record of her giving a Station Place address, which potentially links her to the BH group.

Harvey is someone I’ve been trying to track down for ages, but apart from her involvement in the Kelly case and the records of her stays in the Raine Street workhouse (St Geo E) that Debs found, I can’t find anything on her. She may well have been a link between Kelly and her former employers in the Highway.
        I should add that Neal didn’t mention the 1887 Booth survey that suggested that 1, BH was then a brothel, and identified its unnamed resident (presumably Stephen Maywood) as a drover. After going absent for a while (between 1888 and 1890) Maywood reappears on the electoral registers in Limehouse in connection with 1 and 7, Rich Street, he and his family living at no.1 and the Woodhouses (wife née McCarthy) from 79, Pennington Street at no. 7. Shortly afterwards, no. 1, Rich Street was in the hands of the brothel-keeping Raby/Nod(d)ing family from Station Place. It was then described as the most notorious house (brothel) in the district.

By then Maywood had moved back to his native Essex where he and his family set about acquiring numerous properties - farms, houses etc - several of which mysteriously burnt down.

The fact that many of those we know (or can reasonably guess) were involved in running brothels at the western end of Pennington Street/Breezer’s Hill also had connections to Station Place/Cornwall Street and to a small area of Limehouse, it seems likely that they were linked in some way. While my description of them as the ‘Breezer’s Hill Mob’ is largely tongue-in-cheek, it’s not without some foundation.

Comment

Was Kelly still in touch with her erstwhile St Geo E employers when she was murdered?

She may well have been via Mariah Harvey, and who was the mysterious drover named ‘Lawrence’ who enquired about letters addressed to him c/o Kelly?

Comment

Working...
          X