Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Catherine Eddowes Menstruating?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Debs,
    It is possible you might be misremembering Kelly's statement as reported by the police: "On the previous Monday night they slept in Kent, where they were hopping. They came up from Kent on Thursday, he believed..." It's in The Ultimate (which I am delighted to see is available for the Kindle!).
    Hi Paul. I'll have another look because I really can't remember. I think it was in a Northern paper. It was phrased oddly and I read it as something like 'we were three days coming back and went hungry ' ...something like that...or not.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
      He eventually died in 1890 from dropsy.*
      It would be ironic if it was Kelly who had the kidney disease.....and dying a short two years after Kate.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paul View Post
        Hi Debs,
        It is possible you might be misremembering Kelly's statement as reported by the police: "On the previous Monday night they slept in Kent, where they were hopping. They came up from Kent on Thursday, he believed..." It's in The Ultimate (which I am delighted to see is available for the Kindle!).
        Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
        Hi Paul. I'll have another look because I really can't remember. I think it was in a Northern paper. It was phrased oddly and I read it as something like 'we were three days coming back and went hungry ' ...something like that...or not.
        Isn't that the expression you would use though? "I came up from Kent on Thursday." Or else, as a more extreme example to make my point: "I came up from Land's End on Thursday." That is, it's what you would say, no matter how long it took you to get from the starting point to the destination.

        Best regards

        Chris
        Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
        https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
        Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
          It would be ironic if it was Kelly who had the kidney disease.....and dying a short two years after Kate.
          It just strikes me that sometimes its not what people say..

          But what they dont say..

          That is important

          If Kate was in pain from Brights on the walk from kent.. then it is not mentioned..

          A bit like Dr Brown not mentioning that part of the apron was absent?

          It has to be important

          Yours Jeff

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
            It just strikes me that sometimes its not what people say..

            But what they dont say..

            That is important

            If Kate was in pain from Brights on the walk from kent.. then it is not mentioned..

            A bit like Dr Brown not mentioning that part of the apron was absent?

            It has to be important

            Yours Jeff
            The problem of course is that we are dealing with peoples' statements which for us are etched in stone with no chance of a follow up question.

            I think in general these people bore their ills and didn't moan and groan about life. It was just the way things were.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
              I am not quoting you Livia. You didn't say that. Nor am I implying you have it in mind. And I am not playing semantic games.

              I am saying 'I have a hard time envisioning Eddowes' as the picture of health. It's an important point'.
              My apologies, then.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
                Isn't that the expression you would use though? "I came up from Kent on Thursday." Or else, as a more extreme example to make my point: "I came up from Land's End on Thursday." That is, it's what you would say, no matter how long it took you to get from the starting point to the destination.

                Best regards

                Chris
                Yes, meaning I arrived in London on Thursday.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
                  The problem of course is that we are dealing with peoples' statements which for us are etched in stone with no chance of a follow up question.

                  I think in general these people bore their ills and didn't moan and groan about life. It was just the way things were.
                  As you say, that is the problem. And we only have what they said. We can't assume what they didn't say.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Paul View Post
                    As you say, that is the problem. And we only have what they said. We can't assume what they didn't say.
                    I understand this guys..

                    But in the case of Dr Brown he lists stuff very specifically

                    Tin match box , emptie

                    If he did so here, then I think it reasonable to assume that if he didnt else ware

                    Then that has a meaning?

                    Yours Jeff

                    Comment


                    • Question:

                      Would active menstruation ever be noted on the coroner's report? One would think so, just to account for any blood that might otherwise not be present. As SH would have said, its absence means nothing but its presence means everything. I have no opinion either way as to whether or not she was menstruating at time of death, but it seems this would be a logical piece of evidence to pursue. Did other autopsies/coroner's reports in the LVP ever mention this condition?

                      Comment


                      • Hi Tim,

                        was enough there to be able to tell, wasnt her uterus missing?

                        Jenni

                        ps i dont know how we tell this but think the uterus is right
                        "be just and fear not"

                        Comment


                        • In one of the torso cases the observed phase of ovulation was used to conclude the victim had recently menstruated but you need the ovaries and fallopian tubes to do that.

                          Comment


                          • Collard did the inventory Jeff, not Brown.

                            Monty

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                              In one of the torso cases the observed phase of ovulation was used to conclude the victim had recently menstruated but you need the ovaries and fallopian tubes to do that.
                              As an idle aside, Brown looked for signs of Eddowes having had sex. Had she been menstruating do you think there would have been signs that he would have noticed and perhaps commented on?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Monty View Post
                                Collard did the inventory Jeff, not Brown.

                                Monty
                                Yes sorry, but I think stating that the care taken on listing this murder was far better than the others a fair observation per se

                                Yours Jeff

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X