Night Of The Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Of The Demon

Rob Clack has mentioned this film before....and seeing how he thinks highly of the following 1950's horror film....I figured I'd put a link to it up here on the boards.
    Nina liked it too....having seen it for the first time today.

Night Of The Demon
    Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins, Niall Macginnis

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21hmso

Dr. John Holden ventures to London to attend a paranormal psychology symposium with the intention to expose devil cult leader, Julian Karswell. Holden is a skeptic and does not believe in Karswell's power. Nonetheless, he accepts an invitation to stay at Karswell's estate, along with Joanna Harrington, niece of Holden's confidant who was electrocuted in a bizarre automobile accident. Karswell secretly slips a parchment into Holden's papers that might possibly be a death curse. Recurring strange events finally strike fear into Holden, who believes that his only hope is to pass the parchment back to Karswell to break the demonic curse.

Director: Jacques Tourneur

Writers: M.R. James (story), Charles Bennett (screenplay), Hal E. Chester and Cy Endfield
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Absolutely fantastic film.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      Absolutely fantastic film.

A classic film, I am surprised there has been no remake !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
        A classic film, I am surprised there has been no remake !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
        The recent 'Drag me to Hell' is a bit of a remake and a pretty poor one.

Night of the Demon is an almost perfect horror film.

Comment

In an interview, Dana Andrews criticised the decision to add a 'mechanical demon' but I thought it worked quite well.

I first saw the film when I was about 15, probably in one of those 10.30 PM slots that they used to use for horror films. I've loved it ever since.

"Dead of Night" is another cracker.

Comment

A (possibly) interesting bit trivia - the bit where someone goes out of a window was filmed in Electra House, just by Temple Underground station. He lands on the roof of the bicycle racks.

I worked there from 1967 till 1991, and in the early days I often parked my bike in that shed - never realising that I was risking demonic possession.

Comment

Calm your fears, Bill. It was only Mr Barraclough from "Porridge." Mr McKay would have been a very different kettle of fish.

Comment

Yes, a great film. Good choice How and Rob.

Is there a nod to MR James in the choice of the name Kerswell (Karswell is the villain in The Casting of the Runes).

Comment

Hi Gary

It was based on the James story.

Around 1967 ITV did a version in the "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" series. Sadly, this seems to be all that remains of it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2OpMxYklQ

Comment

I thought Karswell was loosely based around Aleister Crowley or was that the devil rides out.

Comment

Hi String

It was "The Devil Rides Out" - another great film.

http://wearesouthdevon.com/devil-rid...ister-crowley/

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        Calm your fears, Bill. It was only Mr Barraclough from "Porridge." Mr McKay would have been a very different kettle of fish.

A milder possession certainly - and it explains my previously inexplicable habit of starting every conversation with "Now, now ..."

Comment

Working...
                        X