Canadian TV comedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian TV comedy

Since I'm staying up all night watching some of my favourite comedies on the computer, I was curious to see whether any of them have snuck across the border into other countries. These are my current faves:

1) Little Mosque On The Prairie
    2) Corner Gas
    3) Trailer Park Boys
    4) Due South (oldie but goodie).
    5) Adderly (really old, but available through the magic of TVtroplis)

Have any of my non-Canuck pals seen any of these, and if so, what do you think of them?Canadia
    "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Mag:

I've never heard, much less seen, any of these you mentioned.

I'll say this...I think that SCTV absolutely smoked Saturday Night Live in terms of humor. I miss that ensemble.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

It's been a year, so I thought I'd check to see if any of my international confreres have been exposed to the listed sitcoms?

Sadly since writing this list originally, both Corner Gas and Trailer Park Boys have wrapped up.

Comment

The only thing I seen was Due South ages ago though.

On the subject of Canadian TV programmes I've been watching The Murdoch mysteries on the Alibi channel here in the UK. If you haven't seen it it's a Victorian murder mystery programme with heavy Sherlock Holmes overtones set in Toronto. The hero in this case is a Police Detective and his aide is a Pathologist.
        Each programme has a new murder for the the detective to solve using forensic evidence and reasoning.
        It's actually very well made and worth watching.

Look out for the inaugural date on the Police station, 1889.

Comment

I remember one shown here in Australia called I think Simon and Wade? not exactly sure about the title. It was a half hour comedy. There was also a programme I loved about a Psychic journalist called Seeing Things

We also got the Degrassi Series of kids programmes which were hugely popular

Comment

Originally posted by Belinda View Post
            I remember one shown here in Australia called I think Simon and Wade? not exactly sure about the title. It was a half hour comedy. There was also a programme I loved about a Psychic journalist called Seeing Things

We also got the Degrassi Series of kids programmes which were hugely popular

Seeing Things is a legendary show here.

One of my profs was a former director of Degrassis (the original series)

Comment

I've been watching the Republic of Doyle it's a good Private Investigator/comedy programme. Nice acting and (cough) a honey of a Police detective.
              http://www.cbc.ca/republicofdoyle/

Comment

An update on the Canadian sitcom situation.

Since ending, the various people responsible for Corner Gas have created three new sitcoms: Hiccups, Dan For Mayor, and InSecurity.

Hiccups: starring the creator of Corner Gas and his wife, lasted for 2 seasons. It was likeable but not classic--kind of self-destructed in the second season by changing the characters too much. Now cancelled

Dan For Mayor: Featuring one of the stars of CG. Dire, just dire. I made it through the first episode--barely. Somehow managed to limp through two seasons before getting cut.

InSecurity: The funniest of the bunch, featuring a bunch of losers working for an Intelligence agency. Faltered a bit in the second season because of changes to the characters, but still a solid show and will likely get renewed for a third.

Little Mosque is back for a fifth and final season. Sadly, Carlos Rota (the funniest character in the series) left half way through last season and it was really noticeable. So not sure how the new season will do without him altogether.

The Trailer Park Boys finally premiered their new series--The Drunk and On Drugs Funtime Happy Hour. It was--weird. Sort of like Little Britain meets the Goodies meets the Goon show, with a lot of drug and alcohol reference. It started out terribly, but one you got in the groove it was quite ambitious.

The CBC also created a sitcom based on the movie "Men WIth Brooms". The film was great--the TV show was so bad that not even guest appearance from MWB star Paul Gross could save it.

Not a sitcom, but the show "Endgame" was cancelled after only a season, which is a shame because it was brilliant! It was essentially Nero Wolfe with the agoraphobic genius being a Russian chess grandmaster. It was smart, funny, and the mysteries were actually mysterious--so of course Showcase cancelled it.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
                  I've been watching the Republic of Doyle it's a good Private Investigator/comedy programme. Nice acting and (cough) a honey of a Police detective.
                  http://www.cbc.ca/republicofdoyle/

I saw the season finale and was very impressed--I'll have to go back and find the earlier shows

Comment

Due South was popular over here (UK) and still airs on one of the satellite/cable channels. Trailer Park Boys used to be shown on Paramount but hasn't been on for a while. This is my all time favourite comedy show. It's not well known here but those who like it REALLY like it.

Best wishes,
                    Steve.

Comment

I saw the season finale and was very impressed--I'll have to go back and find the earlier shows
                      What the, what??!! You haven't watched Republic of Doyle? It's one of the best things on the CBC, or anywhere else, for that matter. The concept is a modern Canadian version of the Rockford Files set in St. John's. The new season starts in a couple of weeks.

I completely agree with you about Endgame. It was a great show that, sadly, didn't find an audience (or at least Showtime didn't give it the time to find one).

The big news, I think, is that The Murdoch Mysteries, which Citytv cancelled, has been saved and is moving to the CBC after one final season on City.

Wolf.

Comment

Due South was popular over here (UK) and still airs on one of the satellite/cable channels.
                        Aw I used to love Due South and Diefenbaker was the reason I got a Kita (the husky.) I hadn't really seen one before then.

Tracy
                        If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

Comment

Trailer Park Boys aired here for a while, but has
                          since disappeared.

Not comedies, but Mantracker and Survivorman
                          are hits here. But since they've replaced
                          Terry Grant, I don't know how his replacement
                          will fare in the ratings. For me, there's only
                          one Mantracker.

Comment

Working...
                          X