Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maria Louisa Roulson (aka Old Ma Lechmere)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    You can just imagine a deadly rivalry between EBC and Lord Emsworth for best pig in show.
    As soon as I read it I thought of Woodhouse.

Regards

Michael
    Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post
      As soon as I read it I thought of Woodhouse.

Regards

Michael
      I can't decide whether Thomas Roulson was a Jeeves or a Magersfontein Lugg. He signed his will with a X, so perhaps the latter?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        I can't decide whether Thomas Roulson was a Jeeves or a Magersfontein Lugg. He signed his will with a X, so perhaps the latter?
        I'm not suggesting Lugg was illiterate (I wouldn't dare), but he was, shall we say, somewhat less refined...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
          I believe he did give both names to the police, and acquired permission to use his everyday one. Of course, I can't prove that, but it makes more sense than his giving a 'false' surname, a true first name, a true second name and a true address.
          Hi Robert,

It's the fact Cross gave his real middle name that makes me doubt he was seeking to conceal his identity and role as witness from anyone at Pickfords or his nearest and dearest. Would the authorities have asked for a middle name had he not supplied one?

Reading this thread, it does strike me it was more likely to have been only the family name of Lechmere that he didn't want publicly associated with such sordid goings-on. I know it's circular but, as Christer might say, if that was the aim it worked rather well, didn't it?

Interesting stuff, Gary.

Love,

Caz
          X
          I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline Morris View Post
            Hi Robert,

It's the fact Cross gave his real middle name that makes me doubt he was seeking to conceal his identity and role as witness from anyone at Pickfords or his nearest and dearest. Would the authorities have asked for a middle name had he not supplied one?

Reading this thread, it does strike me it was more likely to have been only the family name of Lechmere that he didn't want publicly associated with such sordid goings-on. I know it's circular but, as Christer might say, if that was the aim it worked rather well, didn't it?

Interesting stuff, Gary.

Love,

Caz
            X
            Thanks, Caz.

Comment

Hi Caz

Yes, he wasn't a very good liar, to say the least.

Comment

The middle name thing quite is interesting. If he was simply giving his everyday name, one that his work colleagues would recognise, you'd think he would have just said 'Charles Cross' (if that had indeed been how he was known at Pickfords).

Probably, when his statement was taken, he was asked for his 'full name'. If so, however he may have initially introduced himself to the desk sergeant, he would have had time to reconsider what was the appropriate 'full name' to give in that formal situation. I can't believe it just didn't occur to him to mention the name Lechmere.

The other thing about the 'allen' is that he always uses a small 'a' when he signs. What's that all about, I wonder?

Comment

But to get back to Ma...

Megan James is of the opinion that Maria's legacy would have been safe from her husbands (post 45 of the thread below). So it's possible that she held the purse strings for the extended family and that Charles in turn inherited something when she died.

The idea that his ability to open a shop late in life is evidence of a responsible and frugal nature might not be as sound as it may have appeared.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=27946

Comment

The other interesting name at 11, Mary Ann Street in 1871 was Alfred Croote, a 20-year-old carman supposedly born in STGITE. He was originally described as a boarder, but that was amended to 'head'. There was no one else in his household.

I've tried to track him down, but no luck so far. The name Croote obviously has connections to the Eddowes family and possibly the Tomkins's.

One Ancestry tree that contains George Blencowe is a 'Coote' tree, so perhaps Alfred was a Coote, not a Croote and a relly of Maria's via her sister's marriage.

Comment

• Hi Gary

How about Alfred James Croot, born 1850, married Harriett Dare 1880. He went from carman to domestic coachman to cab proprietor. Transcribed as "Crool" in 1851.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        Hi Gary

How about Alfred James Croot, born 1850, married Harriett Dare 1880. He went from carman to domestic coachman to cab proprietor. Transcribed as "Crool" in 1851.
                        Hi Rob,

I was put off by AJ's place of birth not being STGITE. Other than that he's a good fit. And he has an interesting background. His grandfather, a distiller, committed Hari Kari in 1846 and it seems their branch of the Crootes came from Biggleswade in Bedfordshire, not far from Potton where Jesse's family had their origins.

Comment

• Hi Gary

Cab proprietor Sid James Croot died in his 70s. He did have a rough patch when his wife Harriet (Hattie) felt he wasn't paying her enough attention and set up a female cab company, but that was soon smoothed over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                            Hi Gary

Cab proprietor Sid James Croot died in his 70s. He did have a rough patch when his wife Harriet (Hattie) felt he wasn't paying her enough attention and set up a female cab company, but that was soon smoothed over.
                            Hattie had a business rival who ran Babs' Cabs. It was a fairly even contest - in fact you could say they were both way out in front.

Comment

• For all the scores of Lechmere related threads, this is the first one in donkey's years that actaully has new (to me at least) information and is civil!

Re: The Crootes, the Potton crowd featured quite a bit in the local papers.
                              Attached Files
                              Thanks for your time,
                              dusty miller

Comment

• Sadly, on of the Crootes daughters was raped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	558170[ATTACH]
                                Attached Files
                                Thanks for your time,
                                dusty miller

Comment

Working...
                                X