No announcement yet.

Kelly's Library on Vigo Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A harbour master and a farmer are listed.

There’s a Sluice row, a Lynn road, a North brink and a Norfolk street.

The West End of London or the East Anglian fens?

It’s a bit of a poser.��

Comment

I don't think we can assume anything about MJK, Millers Court victim. A system involving a French female has come to light but for all we know there was more than one.

I think the only way we could ever know for sure who was MJK and where did her life take her, is if we found new, definitive records or a legal action such as a court case, arrest, etc. that would point the way.

Fortunately we do have some idea how scams were worked on girls from the UK at the time but I would guess there was more than one operation. Some of the French refugees were desperate to earn a living and I would think if any of them could put together a scheme to make money, they would have done so.
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Your Milliner, Miss Sarah Hayes, lived in (King’s) Lynn in Norfolk.

Again, the clues that this was not the West End of London are all there.

(And, for good measure, it’s an 1875 directory, not 1885).

Comment

It appears to have just been a hotel/apartment from at least 1845 to 1885 if I have it right.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=LDk...london&f=false

https://books.google.ca/books?id=QJs...london&f=false

I'm sure there are 22 Cleveland Streets from other cities mixed up in the mix already. Not that I want to add to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
            I don't think we can assume anything about MJK, Millers Court victim. A system involving a French female has come to light but for all we know there was more than one.

I think the only way we could ever know for sure who was MJK and where did her life take her, is if we found new, definitive records or a legal action such as a court case, arrest, etc. that would point the way.
            We already know so much about her, locations and associates.

Now it's just piecing things together. I never thought we'd know so much about her movements.

If Kelly's Library was a commonly used poste-restante, then it's already likely Mary Kelly used it, even without Eugenie Roullier being the French Lady. That would just make it from a possibility or probability to a 100 percent certainty.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=tRA...strand&f=false

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
              Wasn't that implicated in the Cleveland Street mess? Maybe it was a mail drop for shady/dodgy characters?

Back when I/we used to think JtR had a far reaching purpose in his work, it was suggested by someone, or maybe it is part of Sickert lore, that MJK had knowledge of the brewing Cleveland Street Scandal. Isn't this mail drop near that place?

So, something like, Mary worked at a tobacconist's....got mail at....at times was a servant or charred at Cleveland Street...knew too much about the latter....had to be rubbed out, to use American gangland lingo.

That version doesn't have Annie Crook, the prince, etc. so maybe this was someone theorizing about the location.

If shady characters used the mail drop and were maybe connected with that area, did they know what was going on in Cleveland Street? As I recall, Prince Eddie has been implicated as a customer there. If these shady characters knew enough, how might they have used the information?

I doubt any of that has to do with the actual murder of MJK but it could provide more background with which to narrow our research.
              If it’s the right location, 10 Norfolk which is today’s 22 Cleveland St appears to have been a private hotel for gentlemen. They had two sitting rooms and I doubt it was No Smoking. Cigars were probably sold and mail could obviously be dropped there.

The story variously goes that Mary was given a job there or thereabouts as a servant. That would also make sense in a hotel setting.

Comment

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but #10 Norfolk Street (#22, Cleveland Street) was the childhood home of Charles Dickens.

* I see Gary mentioned it earlier. Thanks, Gary!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                  Not sure if it's been mentioned, but #10 Norfolk Street (#22, Cleveland Street) was the childhood home of Charles Dickens.

* I see Gary mentioned it earlier. Thanks, Gary!
                  How poignant and ironic, if it's true, then, that Mary Jane Kelly may have gone from the workhouse/infirmary to Charles Dickens childhood home!

Comment

Working...
                  X