Alleged Letter Mentioning Kosminski * EBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged Letter Mentioning Kosminski * EBay

Thanks to Phil Carter for bringing this to our attention.

JACK THE RIPPER REFERENCE ANTIQUE HAND WRITTEN LETTER DATED JULY 12 1889
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    This is a letter that was in the pages of a religious book printed in 1890 by William Booth (Salvation Army founder). It was part of a deceased estate and reads as though sent from one Salvation Army Officer to another. It references a person described as a Lunatic, brandishing scissors, yelling or speaking nonsensically in what is described as a ‘devil tongue’ who is named as Kosminsky the Jew. On googling this name it quickly comes up with the cosmonaut that who has been a main suspect in the Jack the Ripper case as the possible killer. The letter is on paper that is EXTREMELY brittle. It has separated along the fold lines and is now in three pieces. This has been demonstrated in the photos with - - - - lines. The page is double sided and measures 110x140mm.

The letter reads:

My Dearest Sister

I surly received your kind letter dated a few days since, and was made glad to hear that you were still content in your works. Praise be to almighty God. Before this reaches you the sad intelligence of the death of our dear sister Rachel Bell will have reached you. She departed this life on Monday last around nine o’clock after much suffering. This most stirring news is delivered as such a sad dispensation. But we will continue to fight the gold fight. Walter sends his blessings. Mary’s health remains well. She shares no exceptional news of late other than a she tock (?) ctd. From the Jew Kosminski Wednesday week past. On walking alongside the fruit barrow poor Marty room such fright when the lunatic ran at her with those ghastly scissors yelling his devil tongue. Mary ran all the way back. It’s a wonder he has t hung for what he did to those poor girls and the terror he has delivered to poor Tilly. Please give my warmest tidings to brother michael and sister Jenny. We pray nightly of their works. I remain yours in Christ. Dott.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JACK-THE...32d9e3ffc6584c
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

5 saps ( as of today ) have made 19 bids on it.

Meanwhile, I can't unload the Ben Franklin bridge....any takers ?
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How.. Please note the get out clause at the bottom.. Lol

First of all. There is no ink fade.
      Next. The names. "Tilly" being short for Matilda, is common in Aussie speak.. But in 1888 I doubt any person would refer to a Polish Matilda as "Tilly" in 1888.
      The other names are a bit of a disguised giveaway too.
      Dott.. Is shortening of Dorothy. In GB, Dorothy is shortened to Dot, not Dott.
      There is much wrong, imho.

Phil
      from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

No doubt it will be snapped up and used for a book. Its all getting rather silly.

However if this works, i’m gonna put druitts cricket bat up for sale and mention there are stains which could be blood, semen , take your pick, on it and it’s ready for DNA testing.

Comment

The hell with that.....I have this for sale and it IS real !

Disclaimer : I do not own Ellis Island or the Lower Bay.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
            First of all. There is no ink fade.
            Next. The names. "Tilly" being short for Matilda, is common in Aussie speak.. But in 1888 I doubt any person would refer to a Polish Matilda as "Tilly" in 1888.
            The other names are a bit of a disguised giveaway too.
            Dott.. Is shortening of Dorothy. In GB, Dorothy is shortened to Dot, not Dott.
            There is much wrong, imho.
            Good points, Phil, but "Tilly" isn't peculiarly Aussie, and was used in Britain during the Victorian period. For example, a girl called Tilly appears in a story published in Thackeray's Cornhill Magazine in 1871, and this book (How Tilly Made A Friend) came out in 1882: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00048452/00001/7j
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

That's not a pair of scissors. THIS is a pair of scissors :

https://www.123rf.com/photo_56181035...rs-vector.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                Good points, Phil, but "Tilly" isn't peculiarly Aussie, and was used in Britain during the Victorian period. For example, a girl called Tilly appears in a story published in Thackeray's Cornhill Magazine in 1871, and this book (How Tilly Made A Friend) came out in 1882: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00048452/00001/7j

Hi Gareth,
                Agreed. But would a UK person call a Person from Poland Tilly? That's extremely familiar, and I think Matilda would be far more normal.
                The Aussie habit.. 'Tilly, Marty, etc" is throughout.
                An Englishman doesn't call Martin "Marty".. Its Mart, or Martin.

Phil
                from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

The letter itself strikes me as written by someone for who English is not the first language. There are some odd phrases, IMO. I suppose that does not matter overall. Anyone could have joined the Salvation Army.

If Kosminski´s sister was on familiar basis with English people in the neighborhood, Tylda would be more likely than Tilly. I suppose Tilly might be used by outsiders to refer to her but how well known were the Kosminskis outside the Jewish living arrangements? Do we even know if Kosminski´s sister was known as Matilda? Think of Morgenstern´s wife called Jeanette but her first name was Sophia or something.

If ¨Jew Kosminski¨ was such a threat with scissors he surely would have been carted off as a lunatic at the time or suffered severe punishment by a local crowd.

As an investor in odd things, I am very much afraid of paper items. I think to be sure they are what they are supposed to be, a great many expensive tests need to be made. Very good forgers can do amazing things.
                  The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                    The letter is on paper that is EXTREMELY brittle.
                    It usually is, after you bake it in the oven for a few hours.

The usual "dead guy" provenance: the 'deceased estate', found in a book, etc.

The seller should be investigated for fraud

On the other hand, having a crazy hairdresser with a pair of scissors is a nice touch. "He hasn't attempted a shave in years," the asylum record reads.

Comment

Unless Kosminski appeared overtly Jewish, wouldn´t he more likely have been identified as a Polock, Pole, Bolander or something, based on accent or clothing? Pictures of the Kosminski family show them as good looking European people.

¨Foreign¨ seemed to be the euphemism for Jewish immigrants at the time. The use of ¨Jew¨ in the letter strikes me as the writer going out of his way to denigrate his subject. The letter feels like it was written by someone trying to guess the level of antisemitism 130 years ago.

If there was a man with scissors and if he was say, a Maylay, it seems the writer might have written something like, ¨that heathen Maylay was hollering to his devil gods...,¨ That is a little less specific than a Jew using a devil tongue, IMO.
                      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        That's not a pair of scissors. THIS is a pair of scissors.
                        That brings back memories, Robert. I haven't seen Krocodile Kosminski in years. I think the stress is on the Kroc.

I think I recall Shirley Harrison writing that she was warned that the moment the Maybrick Diary went public, she would be approached by various people trying to sell fakes and frauds.

The Kosminski "shawl" has been in the news all week, and this gentleman wasted no time in getting his relic up on eBay.

“Before this reaches you the sad intelligence of the death of our dear sister Rachel Bell will have reached you. She departed this life on Monday last around nine o’clock after much suffering.”

Hmm. Should be easy enough to check.

The date of the letter, July 12, 1889 is a Friday. ‘Monday last’ would by July 8, 1889. Not surprisingly, there appears to be no record of a Rachel Bell dying in London or anywhere else in the UK on that date.

Just doing a basic search, the only Rachel Bell listed in the UK death registers for 1889 died in Hexham, Northumberland around April.

A Rachel Bell died in Ireland in September, and in Philadelphia, USA, the same month, three months after the date on the letter.

The true believer could argue it's her middle-name, "Rachel Belle," but no obvious hits for that, either.

The work of an amateur, it seems.

Comment

¨Foreign¨ seemed to be the euphemism for Jewish immigrants at the time. The use of ¨Jew¨ in the letter strikes me as the writer going out of his way to denigrate his subject. The letter feels like it was written by someone trying to guess the level of antisemitism 130 years ago.

If there was a man with scissors and if he was say, a Malay, it seems the writer might have written something like, ¨that heathen Malay was hollering to his devil gods...,¨ That is a little less specific than a Jew using a devil tongue, IMO.

-Anna Morris-

Good points Anna. Well spotted.

In contrast, the current media outlets covering the DNA story appear to be specifying Kosminski as 'Polish' as opposed to Polish Jew or simply Jewish.
                          I've perused at least 30 of the Eddowes Shawl links which I've put on that Forums thread and it really seems an effort has been made to disassociate Kosminski from his Jewish heritage. The far right groups who have commented on the recent DNA bullshit have likewise noticed it and naturally commented on upon it. More fuel for their fire.
                          To us, it doesn't matter if Aaron The K was an Eskimo....
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Roger

I wondered if maybe Australia, but nothing. Rachel Bell seems rather elusive.

"Walking alongside the fruit barrow" suggests the barrow was being pushed by someone else, but that person doesn't get a mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                              Hi Gareth,
                              Agreed. But would a UK person call a Person from Poland Tilly?
                              No more or less than an Australian would, I'd have thought.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                              (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Working...
                              X