• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
    It was a hundred years ago today
    That Kinky Kosminski passed away
    The theory goes in and out of style
    But this is time it will raise a smile…
    So, let me introduce to you
    The proof you’ve sought for all these years!
    From Billy Booth’s Salvation Army Band!

(Hit it Magictricks!)

What would you do
    If I sold you a fraud
    …”
    Excellent!

Quote..

This auction is selling an item of a deceased estate. All that is known about it is in this description. This item is purchased on face value as is with no other certification or documentation with it. Photos are part of the description so please look carefully. All bids are binding and this item can be posted registered and insured at the buyers expense. Please ask any questions prior to auction bids.

That's under the description. He has added more.. Later.. On 24th March..

Thank you for all your many many messages. I don’t have the ability to answer them (over 100 after only a day of listing the item) i am not personally invested or interested in the topic matter of this letter. I appreciate your questions about Jack the Ripper and wanting to know more about this letter, but I am only selling it. I don’t know more than is listed here. I also have no certificates with it and won’t be getting any for the sale of this listing. This is an item for sale as is. I don’t know much more about it than mentioned above and am selling it without any other guarantees other than it was found in a book and I will post it to you after the auction. Thank you.

In other words.. Its a get out of jail clause.
    from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
      It's possible that the Kosminski letter is indeed genuine
      -Sean Crundall-

Sean...my reaction to the content of the letter was based on my reading into what I felt was being suggested.....that the letter-writer was referring to the murder victims instead of other women/girls...and that this letter-writer believed that Kosminski was that murderer.

Considering what is being batted around at the moment in the media....the revival of the 5 year old DNA story....suspiciously presented at the same time Rubenhold's book has successfully increased & intensified discussion of the murders worldwide...the highest, perhaps, since Cornwell and her theories in 2002.....I felt that here was someone trying to piggyback on the separate DNA/Rubenhold stories.

I just wanted you to know that I wasn't being dismissive of what you or anyone else believes or how they interpret the letter, which may be a different interpretation of the letter than mine.
      Hi How,

I completely agree with you.

The timing of the appearance of the letter should, I think, be a cause for concern and suspicion. After all, we've been down this road before.

Edwards tried to flog the shawl in the States a few years back for an exorbitant amount of money. It didn't sell.

Perhaps with the heightened interest in the case fostered by the publication of Rubenhold's book, and the new DNA results on the shawl, Edwards has attempted to capitalize on the publicity. I believe he paid a hefty sum for the shawl and would, doubtless, like to receive a "modest" return on his investment.

Of course, it's possible that the letter is genuine; however, I doubt it. We've had half baked theories and fully baked documents!

If the 1890 Booth reference is produced, well, I'd have to swallow my tongue!

My best regards,

Sean.

Comment

"This auction is selling an item of a deceased estate. All that is known about it is in this description."

"I also have no certificates with it and won’t be getting any for the sale of this listing."

So it's from an estate sale, but the seller can't identify from which estate.

So how did they end up with the letter?

They don't know.

And they are also not profiting off the item, which means they must be the executor of the estate.

But they don't know anything about that, either.

This just goes to show how important a provenance is when it comes to a disputed document or artifact. You can pretty much fake anything, but it's extremely difficult to fake a provenance.

Even the master forger Mark Hoffman often could do no better than claim he got his forgeries off a collector who had recently died. The typical 'dead guy' story.

Yet, back when the Eddowes "shawl" first came out in 2014, there were posters even on this very forum arguing the sketchy provenance was "irrelevant" as long as there was a mDNA match.

This was a very naïve view.

The provenance is always relevant, because it is the hardest thing to fake.

Comment

Roger, perhaps we will know more next Saturday, when Mr K performs at Bishopsgate.

Comment

Very likely, Robert. I hear the Hendersons will be there.

Comment

I put in the first bid. I figured for $10 (Oz) it was worth a punt, particularly as they are just around the corner, I could pick it up personally, and would have the chance to assess the sellers.

There were waaay too many red flag flags to increase my bid.
              Thanks for your time,
              dusty miller

Comment

I can see getting the letter for $10 as a conversation piece.

It seems odd that the purported writer identifies the scissor wielding man as both a Jew and with the surname Kosminski. Native English speakers tend to say Polish names read like eye charts. Unless the recipient of the letter knew Kosminski there is no reason to give a name. It would make more sense if the writer had said, ¨that lunatic Jew bloke¨, or however the slang of the day went.

If Kosminski was known for lunatic antics by his surname I would expect to have seen more of him in court records.

If the writer and recipient both knew the Kosminski in question I would expect a familiar description like, ¨Remember that crazy Jew Kosminski, poor Tildaś brother?¨ Even so I would imagine Kosminski might have been shortened to Koz or that a first name would have been used.

FURTHER=> We are still not sure if Aaron Kosminski is the Kosminski suspect. At least I keep arguing that I do not think Aaron is the right Kosminski for a number of reasons. The letter conveniently avoids a forename also. Now if the letter offered us something like Yitzak Davidovich Kosminski, at least we would have more to think about.

The Kosminski name has been around Ripperology for quite awhile. Maybe someone a few decades ago created this letter, never used it and stuffed it in the book. The present seller(s) would be ignorant of the background.
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Hello Anna,

You can never account for why people the way they do, so that didn't overly worry me. It was the timing and the TOTAL lack of provenance that really rang the alarm bells.
                  Thanks for your time,
                  dusty miller

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
                    Hello Anna,

You can never account for why people the way they do, so that didn't overly worry me. It was the timing and the TOTAL lack of provenance that really rang the alarm bells.
                    Hello, Dusty.

It would be a good conversation piece.

Lack of provenance is certainly troubling but look how far the shawl has gotten and IMO the provenance there was already messed up in 1888. If it existed in 1888.

It is true that people have many different ways of expressing themselves but the parts about Kosminski in the letter seem more explicit than the rest of it. It doesn´t sound right to me. However I would pay $10 for it. (There is also a tendency for English speakers to spell such a name thus, Kosminsky. The y ending is the Russian usage, i is Polish. Judging by the official records we see from those times, nobody cared much how they spelled names so a correct spelling gets attention.)

Comment

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
                      The provenance is always relevant, because it is the hardest thing to fake.
                      I wonder how a certain hoaxer arranged for electricians to lift floorboards in Maybrick's old bedroom on the same day that a certain Michael Barrett would make his first phone call, trying to gauge interest in an old book containing the thoughts of Jack the Ripper?

And having pulled off this not inconsiderable feat, why in heaven's name was this perfect provenance buried, in favour of the infinitely worse "dead pal" story?

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

I'm still trying to work out how Mr K threw the organs in the air and asked that they be glued back together.

Comment

$426 Australian. P.T. Barnum was an optimist. 33 seconds, tops.

Comment

There's one born every second
                            from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

Gosh! Whoever bought that must be a gambler.

(It is scary to think how easy it would be to make...uh, find....a letter like that. I have old paper, some going back to the mid 1700s. And nice pens and inks. And fancy Victorian handwriting. And I am an artist by profession. I wonder what would be the market for artistic inventions.....uh, renderings..... of JtR related letters, how they would have been written if they had have been written. Kind of like O.J. Simpson´s book title I (mis)remember as, ¨How I Would Have Did It, If I Did It, But I Didn´t¨.)

Comment

The successful bidders name began with "e".

I wonder if some more d.n.a. is coming up.
                                Thanks for your time,
                                dusty miller

Comment

Working...
                                X