Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    How makes a valid point: where is this trolling happening?

On here, because we are questioning the Ballad Myth? Has Hallie’s entry into the field of Ripperology made it inappropriate to question the research/theories of authors who follow her lead, or minor celebrities who parrot her nonsense on daytime TV?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post

Curious that she never mentions where she gets 'trolled', ain't it ?

https://inews.co.uk/news/i-get-troll...enhold-1334501
    There she goes again, trolling the Ripperologists.

Her work has been criticised by people who know at least as much, often more, than she does about the subject. Her claim that the women weren’t prostitutes and her deliberate omission of the evidence that suggests they were is only one aspect of the book that has been questioned.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied

Curious that she never mentions where she gets 'trolled', ain't it ?

Leave a comment:

• Lemonjelly
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul View Post

You should read it. You'll already know all about the victims because much of the research was on here or Casebook or in Ripperologist, but the opening and concluding arguments are likely to be repeated in one form or another by the underinformed for years to come.
    Thank you for the advice/recommendation. It's been purchased and added to the bookshelf. I'll post a review in the relevant section when I do get around to reading it (making my way through stephen kings dark tower series at the mo!)

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

Ah, the mental health card. I can’t bring myself to listen to this nonsense, but I would be surprised if Levy’s ethnicity isn’t also brought into play.

All Rubentroll has to do now is to pin global warming on Ripperologists and her work will be complete.
    Having listened to the episode, I'd say there's not a huge amount of "Ripperologist-blaming" in it, either from Rubenhold or the great-great-granddaughter of Jacob Levy who is interviewed.

But I would also say that when someone makes wholesale use of somebody else's research, it's quite wrong not to acknowledge that fact, and not even to give any indication that the work being presented is not one's own.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

I do remember the discussions, though thankfully I don't remember any demonising or victim-blaming. It will interesting to see what line she takes on the case. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like particularly promising ground for her.
    Looking back on one thread- that certainly didn't happen here, quite the opposite for the majority of people who took part in the thread. Our criticism was mainly directed towards Trestrail et al.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    I should have checked earlier, because the implication of that newspaper article was that the series of podcasts was complete. And the final episode, "The Madness of Jacob Levy", has indeed appeared now:
    https://www.pushkin.fm/episode/e15-t...of-jacob-levy/
    Families of Ripper victims often suppressed the memories of their murdered loved ones - fearing the stigma of being related to supposed "prostitutes". And descendants of men accused of being the infamous killer have also had to endure seeing their ancestors’ reputations sullied.
    We hear from a living relatives of Annie Chapman... and of Jacob Levy, a Whitechapel butcher whose appalling struggle with mental illness has caused unsympathetic observers to conclude that he was Jack the Ripper.
    Ah, the mental health card. I can’t bring myself to listen to this nonsense, but I would be surprised if Levy’s ethnicity isn’t also brought into play.

All Rubentroll has to do now is to pin global warming on Ripperologists and her work will be complete.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    I should have checked earlier, because the implication of that newspaper article was that the series of podcasts was complete. And the final episode, "The Madness of Jacob Levy", has indeed appeared now:
    https://www.pushkin.fm/episode/e15-t...of-jacob-levy/
    Families of Ripper victims often suppressed the memories of their murdered loved ones - fearing the stigma of being related to supposed "prostitutes". And descendants of men accused of being the infamous killer have also had to endure seeing their ancestors’ reputations sullied.
    We hear from a living relatives of Annie Chapman... and of Jacob Levy, a Whitechapel butcher whose appalling struggle with mental illness has caused unsympathetic observers to conclude that he was Jack the Ripper.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

I think she's probably aware already that Jonathan Menges, for example, has a big interest in the Crippen case. Jonathan was the person who first made me aware many years ago that Crippen's first wife, Charlotte, died in mysterious circumstances. We have several quite long Crippen threads on this site, which Hallie Rubenhold was a member of at one point.
    I do remember the discussions, though thankfully I don't remember any demonising or victim-blaming. It will interesting to see what line she takes on the case. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like particularly promising ground for her.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied

But it did occur to me that it might be funny if Rubenhold discovered that some Ripperologists also had an interest in the Crippen case ...
    I think she's probably aware already that Jonathan Menges, for example, has a big interest in the Crippen case. Jonathan was the person who first made me aware many years ago that Crippen's first wife, Charlotte, died in mysterious circumstances. We have several quite long Crippen threads on this site, which Hallie Rubenhold was a member of at one point.

Leave a comment:

• D.J.Adams
    replied
    Cripperologists.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Despite the success of these podcasts, Hallie Rubenhold is "rather relieved to no longer have to take on the Ripperologists each week". Apparently she has been getting a hard time on social media:

I must admit I thought her favoured method of "taking on" Ripperologists was either to ignore them or remove their comments. Perhaps she has discovered that neither of those methods is effective if you don't have access to the relevant "delete" button.

But now she is about to take on "her next group of armchair detectives" - Crippenologists. She says Belle Elmore "has been literally demonised and victim-blamed for over 100 years for her own murder" [my emphasis]. I knew people with an interest in True Crime were deplorable, but it's news to me that they have the ability literally to transform murder victims into demons. No doubt all will be made clear when the publicity for the Crippen book hits the newsstands.

But it did occur to me that it might be funny if Rubenhold discovered that some Ripperologists also had an interest in the Crippen case ...

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied

It's not given, but it's Hodder, and the thread on Twitter (from October) is here:
    https://twitter.com/HodderHistory/st...71875422556165

As you'll see, a number of people (including Paul Begg and "Queen Mean") suggested they should check their facts before changing the textbooks. The publishers tweeted again two days later to say "Thank you for all your comments and questions. As part of our standard process we will ensure appropriate research and review when making any edits/amendments to the book."
    Thanks, Chris.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Chris,

Is the name of the textbook publisher given?

Perhaps they should be made aware of HR’s dubious methodologies before they rewrite history on the basis of her ‘groundbreaking’ work.

Gary
    It's not given, but it's Hodder, and the thread on Twitter (from October) is here:
    https://twitter.com/HodderHistory/st...71875422556165

As you'll see, a number of people (including Paul Begg and "Queen Mean") suggested they should check their facts before changing the textbooks. The publishers tweeted again two days later to say "Thank you for all your comments and questions. As part of our standard process we will ensure appropriate research and review when making any edits/amendments to the book."

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Chris,

Is the name of the textbook publisher given?

Perhaps they should be made aware of HR’s dubious methodologies before they rewrite history on the basis of her ‘groundbreaking’ work.

Gary

Leave a comment:

Working...
X