Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbara Waterhouse

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Barbara Waterhouse

    Cleveland Plain Dealer
    June 12, 1891
    *************
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

  • #2
    Finally a happy ending. This guy was caught and hanged, Howard. Wonder if he was the boy Gill's killer too. Leeds and Bradford are fairly close.

    London St James Gazette August 18, 1891

    Comment


    • #3
      Damn, JD....its only 12 miles to Bradford from Leeds...good thinking.
      I've seen this case mentioned from time to time, but never examined it closely before.
      Thanks again and you might be on to something about him committing the 1888 murder.
      Where did he live in 1888 ?
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

      Comment


      • #4
        Howard,

        This article (link below) has Turner working in Horsforth. Look at the name of the man convicted with him and sentenced to death at the end of the article. His mother was also convicted.

        http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...M18910911.2.23

        Comment


        • #5
          Jerry:
          Who was this Conway and how did he figure in the crime ?

          Makes you wonder about the 'single killer' theory in the WM, doesn't it ?
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact [email protected]

          Comment


          • #6
            From the 1891 census, the couple in Crown St appear to have been Thomas and Jessie Joy, both deaf and dumb. They seem to have been living at the back of 1 Crown St. Thomas was a bookbinder, with 5 offspring.

            Thomas and Jessie were married in 1877, and Jessie's surname at the time was 'Turner' so she may well have been a relation.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              Jerry:
              Who was this Conway and how did he figure in the crime ?

              Makes you wonder about the 'single killer' theory in the WM, doesn't it ?
              I don't know who Conway is, yet. But to answer your question, I am one of the odd ones that thinks there was more than one person involved in the Whitechapel murders anyway.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks Robert,

                Sounds like a good chance they were related, eh?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think they were, Jerry - father George, mother Ann, sisters Jessie and Ellen (1871 census).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                    Damn, JD....its only 12 miles to Bradford from Leeds...good thinking.
                    I've seen this case mentioned from time to time, but never examined it closely before.
                    Thanks again and you might be on to something about him committing the 1888 murder.
                    Where did he live in 1888 ?
                    I found an article I will try to post later of a Walter Lewis Turner, weaver, attempting to murder his wife by slashing her throat. This was in Shipley, a suburb of Bradford and the date is August 24, 1889. Maybe a good chance this guy was a serial killer running loose up Bradford way and also a good chance he killed John Gill!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks Jerry.

                      He got only 9 months for that.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                        Jerry:
                        Who was this Conway and how did he figure in the crime ?

                        Makes you wonder about the 'single killer' theory in the WM, doesn't it ?
                        How and Jerry

                        John Conway was convicted of the 1891 dismemberment murder of a boy named Nicholas Martin and dumping his remains in a sack in the Mersey Dock . The two mutilation cases were often mentioned in the same paragraph in the papers as the trials were running at the same time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          London Mid Surrey Times And General Advertiser August 24, 1889

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Interesting to look at the crimes and sentences on the same page. A man who tried to rape a 10-year-old girl got only six weeks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                              How and Jerry

                              John Conway was convicted of the 1891 dismemberment murder of a boy named Nicholas Martin and dumping his remains in a sack in the Mersey Dock . The two mutilation cases were often mentioned in the same paragraph in the papers as the trials were running at the same time.
                              Ah, thanks Debs!

                              I think I have read about that case. The boy was in a sailors bag with initials on it that was fished out of the water? Is that the one? I never knew they caught the guy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X