No announcement yet.

What happened to Alfred John Monson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Whittington-Egan has heard, from a well-known London solicitor who was researching a book about Monson, that he went to the United States and worked as a pastry-cook, dying there under his own name! This does not sound very credible to me, but is there any Alfred John Monson dying in the US 1902-1970?

Comment

Nothing related to Jan's request......but an article about the Ardlamont Case

Springfield Union
      Springfield, Massachusetts
      January 16, 1915

To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

Comment

No US death that I can see.

Comment

Although I can imagine Monson going to the US if he could scrape up the money for the fare, his going into any honest trade or profession seems a bit more of a stretch IMO. Also, pastry cook doesn't appear to be his cup of tea at all. I'd love it if a book came out about Alfred. I think the Ardlamont case is fascinating, not least how Monson managed to escape conviction. I'm still waiting patiently for the book on Mrs Pearcey to be published. I hope the Ardlamont one doesnt take as long.
          Last edited by Curryong; April 23, 2016, 09:50 AM. Reason: Changed a word

Comment

No luck over here in the search for Monson's whereabouts in the US death records, either.
            To Join JTR Forums :
            Contact [email protected]

Comment

Curry :

https://archive.org/stream/trialofaj...ge/n7/mode/2up

Comment

Thank you Robert!
                I must say, a horse breeder in South Africa sounds more the ticket for AJ, or whatever he was calling himself at that time.

Comment

The pastry cook idea does sound a little half-baked.

Comment

Yes I agree that AJ was hardly cut out to be a pastrycook. What happened to him in South Africa we can only guess, but since the only thing he knew was how to be a crook it probably was nothing particularly nice. I will have a short account of the Ardlamont Mystery in my book 'Strange Victoriana' (out in August) but I know of somebody else writing a full-length account of Monson.

Comment

I know this thread is a little old, but I stumbled on it during a Googling session. I am Alfred John Monson's great-great grandson, and there are a couple of blanks I can fill, if anyone is still around and interested.

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                      Jan, I haven't found the marriage, but there was certainly a Florence Edome Potter in 1911. Her husband was Ernest Arthur Potter, a journalist. They were lodging at 43 City Rd, Bristol. Marriage is supposed to have six years completed. One child, Reginald Ernest Albert Potter, aged 4, born St Albans. There may have been post-Census births
                      First of all, you didn't find the marriage because Florence and Ernest were never married. His first wife - a Catholic - refused to grant him a divorce, so they were forced to live together as common law man and wife.

Secondly, Florence and Ernest did indeed have more children: Joan and Norman.

I know nothing about Joan except that she had at least one daughter. She must be the "Mrs Joan Wynward of 1 Belle Vue Road Southbourne Dorset" that Jan mentions upthread.

Norman was my grandfather. He was born in 1919, and Florence died shortly afterward as a result of an infection she contracted during the childbirth. Interestingly, my granddad (who died in 2013) did not know that Monson was his grandfather until late in his life when he and my dad found the information while researching the family geneaoloy. I suppose that, when he was young, the scandal was fresh enough that it needed to be swept under the carpet and never spoken of!

As far as living descendants are concerned...

Alfred had six children, and as far as we know only two - Florence and Phillip - had children of their own.

I have no information on Phillip - or on the children of Reginald and Joan. But on our branch of the tree, Norman had three children, born in the 1940s and 1950s, all of whom are still living: Sheila, David (not to be confused with David Reginald Potter, mentioned by Jan in post #23!) and Malcolm.

Sheila, who lives in the south of England, has two children, Katie and Michael, both of whom are childless at the time of writing.
                      David, who lives in the Midlands, is my father.
                      I'm an only child, born 1980. I moved to the U.S. in 2001 and have a son, Alex, born 2012.

So, in answer to the question in the very first post: yes, there is at least one American Monson living today - although he is a Monson by blood and not by name!

(Finally... yes, it seems likely that Alfred did indeed move to South Africa under an assumed name, but we have no idea what what name was, and so the trail runs cold.)

Hope this is of use!

Comment

Thanks Matt!

Comment

There is somebody writing a full-length biography of AJ Monson and he would like to get in touch with Matt Potter if possible, since it is quite noteworthy that AJ has descendants alive to this day. He is very old & thus does not bother with the Internet and emails.

Comment

Is his surname 'Smith'?

Comment

Sent you a PM, Jan.

Comment

Sent you a new PM, Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X