Marks Rubenstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marks Rubenstein

This man caught my interest years ago when I found an article reporting on an assault on Mrs Leah Lipski by the husband of Miriam Angel. I wanted to bring some attention to him because I think there is more behind him that can be discovered that may play into the events in 1888.

Marks Rubenstein was born in Circhanova Poland in 1841. In the 1881 census he is listed as a General Dealer and Agent for Fire Insurance living at 91, Backchurch Lane with his wife Sarah, mother Rachel Rubenstein, 5 children and a servant named Betsy Bachnizki. By 1891 he is listed at 174, Commercial Road as a Money Purse Manufacturer (fancy). In 1901 he is at St George in the East, Christs Church at age 60. Again listed as a Purse manufacturer.

On January 18, 1887 a fire broke out at the Hebrew Dramatic Club on Princes Street, Spitalfields claiming the lives of 17 people. Two months earlier, the manager of the club had received the 'threat of a gang' to force themselves into the club. The man who did this was Marks Rubenstein of 63, Lambert Street who threatened to set light to the place and cause all the mischief he could. Rubenstein himself managed a dramatic club called the Russian National Club at Lambert Street and Commercial Road. A witness interviewed about the fire was Philip Lipski. He stated Rubenstein was his brother in law.
    (London Standard, January 29,1887)

This brings me back to Rachel Rubenstein, the mother of Marks Rubenstein. In the Old Bailey trial of Israel Lipski, Rachel Rubenstein was a witness and was said to be the mother in law of Leah Lipski. This falls in line with the statement of Philip Lipski in the Spitalfields Fire Disaster and Marks Rubenstein being his brother in law. Marks Rubenstein was also a witness in the account of Sara Schwartz that Gary posted about. He had taken her in after she was beaten with a blunt object.

Now to Israel Schwartz. Israel was stated to be of theatric appearance. I'm wondering if he was an amateur actor possibly working for Rubenstein's Russian National Club or the Hebrew Dramatic Club? Was he in fact related to Sara Schwartz that Gary posted about? There may be more to the shout of "Lipski" than we think?

This is taken from Digital Yddish Theatre Project

Yetta Schoengold (1884 - 1967)

Yetta Schoengold had a successful career in America and Europe but her origins were pure Yiddisher Cockney. Her Polish-Jewish father Marks Rubinstein was an East End purse manufacturer, as well as the manager of a Jewish immigrant club that featured Yiddish plays. Yetta was born in London in 1884. She left school and went into her father’s business, then became a Yiddish music hall singer. You can get an idea of her style on the 1905 London recording of “Gevald, gevald police” (Help, Help Police), reissued in 2003 on the compilation Di Eybike Mame —The Eternal Mother: Women in Yiddish Theater and Popular Song 1905-1929. As Nina Warnke observes, “it will stick in your ear whether you like it or not.” Around 1907, Yetta married the Yiddish actor Bernard Schoengold and settled in New York. Along with other popular Jewish-American actors, she appeared in Spring Song on Broadway in 1934. She died in the US in 1967.

Comment

Good stuff, JD ! Thanks.....
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Thanks, Howard!

This next bit is slightly off topic but I found it quite interesting because of the names involved with the Hebrew Dramatic Club. Familiar names such as Lewis Lyons and Mr. Wess giving speeches in Princes Street and Bucks Row to the crowds of this organization and marching in demonstration.

Jewish Standard
        September 13, 1889

Comment

In my original post I referenced #63 Lambert Street in Whitechapel. That is the address given direct from the paper source, however, I believe it is Lambeth Street near Leman Street. #63 Lambeth seems to have been a pub named the Flying Horse. I can't find much on it though. It was very close to Rubenstein's Backchurch Lane address in 1881.

This is the account of Marks and wife Sarah in the case of Sara Schwartz. This one does say Lambeth Street.

Comment

Brother in law to Philip Lipski

Of course we know the address is 16 Batty Street. Not Batter Street.

London Standard
            February 5, 1887

Comment

Excerpts from the Israel Lipski trial.

Leah Lipski (wife of Philip Lipski)

...about half past nine o'clock my mother, Mrs. Rubenstein, came down. She lodged in the same room with Mrs. Levy...

Rachel Rubenstein: (Should be 16, Batty Street)

I live at J 6, Batty Street—I occupy the back room first floor with Mrs. Levy...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                Excerpts from the Israel Lipski trial.

Leah Lipski (wife of Philip Lipski)

...about half past nine o'clock my mother, Mrs. Rubenstein, came down. She lodged in the same room with Mrs. Levy...

Rachel Rubenstein: (Should be 16, Batty Street)

I live at J 6, Batty Street—I occupy the back room first floor with Mrs. Levy...
                How interesting, Jerry! I always wondering if Sarah Schwartz was related to Israel as both were said to have come from Hungary in some sources. That there may also be a link to Lipski is intriguing.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                  How interesting, Jerry! I always wondering if Sarah Schwartz was related to Israel as both were said to have come from Hungary in some sources. That there may also be a link to Lipski is intriguing.
                  Hi Debs!

I know you looked at her connection to Israel years back. According to this article she was living with a man named Louis Goldberg for a short time in Newcastle Street, off Castle Alley I presume? Says she had a bad finger and had to leave. Maybe we can find her in the infirmary?

Evening News
                  November 6, 1885

Comment

good

Hello Jerry. Good work.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Thank you Lynn.

Comment

Great post Jerry
                        Do we know what building was used as the meeting point for the start of the march in Bucks Row ?
                        Or am I missing it ?
                        Cheers
                        Nick
                        You can lead a horse to water....

Comment

Originally posted by Packers Stem View Post
                          Great post Jerry
                          Do we know what building was used as the meeting point for the start of the march in Bucks Row ?
                          Or am I missing it ?
                          Cheers
                          Nick
                          Hi PS.

Not sure if they gathered at a particular building or just assembled in Buck's Row on the pavement? If the former, I might guess Schneider's Hat Factory, as it was a Tailor's Strike.

Comment

I wasn't aware, until now, the Strike Committee at which Lyons and Wess headed, had committee rooms in the White Hart (Greenfield Street & Commercial Road).

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                              Hi Debs!

I know you looked at her connection to Israel years back. According to this article she was living with a man named Louis Goldberg for a short time in Newcastle Street, off Castle Alley I presume? Says she had a bad finger and had to leave. Maybe we can find her in the infirmary?

Evening News
                              November 6, 1885

Thanks, Jerry. I completely missed this. Good idea to look for her in the infirmary.

Comment

Working...
                              X