• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Bachert & The Kingsland Murders

What a character.

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper
    October 5, 1890

From the same paper....a reference to the Kingsland affair.

Hi Howard. You're no doubt more familiar with the details of these murders than I am. But what would be gained from trying to pay Bachert?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom:
      What "paid" means in this instance, IMHO, is getting lumped up.
      They wanted to whip his ass....not give him money.
      He evidently stuck his nose in where it wasn't wanted.

Comment

You're no doubt right, Howard. That didn't occur to me. I'd love to know why that is. Bachert is something else.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I'll give this the old once over twice and see whether I can find out more tomorrow, Tom.
          He certainly made the rounds this guy.

Comment

It would be good to see the letters that Bachert wrote to the papers about the Kingsland murders. I've tried to locate them in the past but had no luck.

Comment

Hi Howard

I know Kingsland Road and have travelled up and down it many times.

It's the East End road that leads to North London.

Commercial Street>Shoreditch High Street>Kingsland Road.

What were the Kingsland murders?

I've never heard of them before.
              Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

ST:
                This is one of the earliest articles on the tragedy....
                His true surname...and I believe Debra can correct me if I'm wrong....was Hargan.

Like Debra, I wish I could find out what the hell Bachert did to irritate those fellows.

North Eastern Daily Gazette
                July 31, 1890

Comment

It's probably not worth mentioning as I might have supposed it myself, but I've a vague recollection (again!) that Bachert was writing of a different explanation for the murders than one pointing to certain suspects, so friends of the murder victims went to his house to threaten him

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                    ST:
                    This is one of the earliest articles on the tragedy....
                    His true surname...and I believe Debra can correct me if I'm wrong....was Hargan.

Like Debra, I wish I could find out what the hell Bachert did to irritate those fellows.
                    Debra? ...Am I in trouble?
                    How, I don't really know much about the actual murders to be honest. I just looked for Bachert's letters once before figuring they must have been published somewhere.

Comment

Ha ha !!! Yeah Debs....come on over, its spankin' time !
                      It is strange that I called you by your first name...
                      I've looked around myself and haven't been able to find diddly regarding these letters, Debs.
                      XXXXXXXXXXX

Neems....thanks for that. You're thoughts are probably right...the guy stirred up another hornets nest.

Comment

Here's an explanation of what happened, him being convicted of manslaughter

All indications there point to him having served a 20 yr prison sentence, so this account is a bit strange which states that he was released in September 1891 after some public interest in the case

Comment

Here's a good article which focusses on loss of businesses due to crime - mentioning Waignwright and Cream and Hargan

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/115628834?

It says Hargan shot ruffians while defending a woman (the publican) but...

"...the criminal element of the neighbourhood had its revenge. Twice in one week the place was burgled, money being taken, and much damage done to the interior; respectable customers were threatened with violence if they patronised the house, and the poor woman was ultimately compelled to give up the place, ruined"

...so I suspect Bachert was part of that and might have spoken up for Hargan to some extent, as many seem to have done

Comment

There's some interesting conflict between Macdonald and the jury over this case, particularly the verdict. Lloyd's August 3 1890:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Another account with some further detail on that murder verdict from The Daily News, Monday August 4th. I haven't been able to find the trial on Old Bailey Online, but it's interesting that the trial jury returned a verdict of manslaughter, and not murder, according to the links that Nemo has provided.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X