No announcement yet.

Albert Bachert aka Alfred Charrington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheraton is a surname historically clustered in Durham, UK. It seems like there should be a French origin like 'Cheriton' but though some of the surname databases offer such spellings, there is NO information. One suggested a Jewish equivalent is Charatan but again there is no background.

People of different nationalities moved in and out of Russia so to a certain extent, being Russian at that time had some similarities to being an American. I considered how the name would be spelled in Cyrillic. It could be easily spelled but it does not seem to me to be a name originating in Russia.

For the purpose here, it looks like the Durham origin might be of interest if any of this has any helpful information deciphering Charrington, etc.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• There was a 42-year-old Frederick Charatan, an Austrian born tobacco pipe maker, living in Leadenhall Street in 1891.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        There was a 42-year-old Frederick Charatan, an Austrian born tobacco pipe maker, living in Leadenhall Street in 1891.
        Thanks Gary.

That information led me to this (https://pipedia.org/wiki/Charatan). Almost has to be the same guy as Mansell Street and Prescott Street were all in the same block at Newnham Street.

Guess we can coin him as "Pipeman". lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
          Thanks Gary.

That information led me to this (https://pipedia.org/wiki/Charatan). Almost has to be the same guy as Mansell Street and Prescott Street were all in the same block at Newnham Street.

Guess we can coin him as "Pipeman". lol
          The same guy or perhaps his father if he opened his business in 1863?

Comment

• Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
            In regards to the alias "Charrington", I've noticed an oddity in Bachert's 1881 census entry, at No. 13 Newnham Street, Whitechapel, that I haven't seen anyone else mention.

While all this trouble is going on with Bachert, there's a Russian living at the same address that is going by the name of "Frederick Charraton."

This can't be a coincidence, can it? If the "Skeleton" Bachert is using the name "Charrington," perhaps in sarcastic homage to Frederick Charrington, the ex-Brewery magnate who is trying to shut down the music halls, what are the odds that a man in the same house would be named Frederick Charraton? The name certainly doesn't sound very Russian (nor does "Harrison," the other roomer).

Is "Charraton" a rendering of "Charrington" from a census taker who can't understand the man's accent? Or is Bachert using the alias of a slightly older fellow lodger? Are these Russians "Harrison" and "Charrington/Charraton" also part of the 'Army,' or is it just a strange coincidence? Rhetorical questions, but it's kind of odd.
            Good eye, btw, R.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              There was a 42-year-old Frederick Charatan, an Austrian born tobacco pipe maker, living in Leadenhall Street in 1891.
              Thanks, Gary.

So I guess the answer to my question, "this can't be a coincidence, can it?" is...

…"uh, yes it can be!"

I'll put that in my pipe and smoke it.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
                Thanks, Gary.

So I guess the answer to my question, "this can't be a coincidence, can it?" is...

…"uh, yes it can be!"

I'll put that in my pipe and smoke it.
                Sorry, RJ, it was a great idea - and just the sort of thing AB might have done. 👍🏻

Comment

Working...
                X