X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aleister Crowley Documentary MUST SEE!!-The Wickedest Man In the World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_PUYtkZBc

Sorry Tim

I usually watch your links throughout and find them highly relevant...but this guy was a warped trickster, a nothingness on the face of humanity...I can't bring myself to waste so much time on him

All the best

Dave

Comment

In total agreement, Dave.....a bloated 'bottom man', con artist, and time waster who attracted the 'intellectuals' of the day ( apparently, people are still devotees of this fruit).
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

Comment

In total agreement, Dave.
        A con man, 'bottom man' and time waster.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Bizarre coincidence, but I rewatched this today. It's a good docco--it doesn't try and whitewash Crowley's enormous failings as both and occultist and as a human being.

I don't particularly like Crowley--I agree that he's largely a self-absorbed fraud. However he did influence and inspire quite a few people I do admire. And most of the Thelemites I know (admittedly that's not a massive number) tend to be very thoughtful, intelligent people--most of who have a pretty healthy appreciation of the absurdity of Crowley's life, despite their commitment to the religion he founded.
          "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

Bernard O'Donnell liked Crowley, though he ridiculed his magic beliefs to his face, or so he says in his Ripper book.

On the subject of Crowley, does anyone have the series of articles he wrote for the World Pictorial News about Betty May in 1925?

And does anyone know anything about Betty May, particularly her later life, when she died, and so on. And, for that matter, can anyone confirm the story of her East End birth and family?

All info would be appreciated.

Paul

Comment

Paul:

Here is the book published in 1932, written by another former associate of Crowley's, a Ms. Nina Hammett, entitled, Laughing Torso :

Page 175 is where you'll find Betty May....

https://archive.org/details/laughingtorso000813mbp

Curiously, there is only the two pages ( 175-176) on May, but quite a bit on Walter Sickert.....
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

List of articles on Crowley ( Betty May as well )

https://www.100thmonkeypress.com/bib...s/articles.htm
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                  Paul:

Here is the book published in 1932, written by another former associate of Crowley's, a Ms. Nina Hammett, entitled, Laughing Torso :

Page 175 is where you'll find Betty May....

https://archive.org/details/laughingtorso000813mbp

Curiously, there is only the two pages ( 175-176) on May, but quite a bit on Walter Sickert.....
                  Many, many thanks for that. I hadn't managed to see the book, so my evening is now settled. Nina Hamnett was a friend of sickert. An artist of some distinction in her youth, she gradually became an alcoholic - the typical woman o a stool in the corner of the bar; in fact she drew Betty May in just such a way. Laughing Torso is important because Aleister Crowley took exception to a reference to him in the book as a black magician and sued Hamnett for libel. Betty May was a witness and recounted her time at the Abbey of Thelema where her then husband Raoul Loveday died. It was during cross questioning at the trial that Betty May admitted not writing her autobiography Tiger Woman and that portions of it were a complete fabrication. Anyway, Crowley lost the case and a subsequent one which also featured Betty May and shortly afterwards filed for bankruptcy. Laughing Torso was inadvertantly an important book in the Crowley/Betty May saga, so once again thanks for the link.

Comment

Hope it helps, Paul...

More articles on Crowley here :

http://foreverandaday.biz/Pages_info...erCrowley.html
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Paul:
                      Nina asked me to tell you that Betty May's real surname was Golding and that she was still alive in 1934. PDF to follow.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

'Stolen letters....'

Sound familiar ??
                        Reminds me of Vittoria Cremers' allegations regarding the alleged purloined letters of D'Onston by Mabel Collins.

http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/thelema...ey/un1934e.htm
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Paul:

In the Soho Clarion, Betty May's true surname ( Golding, not Sedgwick) is mentioned and also that she worked at a children's charity at the Fitzroy Tavern for years.
                          One other link states she died in the 1950's....

Look in your email, Paul.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                          X