Clear All

Date

And here's a scan of the date only -

Comment

End

And a scan of the end of the letter -

Comment

Hi All,

Is it me or is the date on the postmark Oct 7 89?

If so, the letter (clearly dated Oct 19th top and bottom) would not appear to have been sent in that particular envelope, whether the year was meant to be 1888 or altered from 1889.

Is it possible that the letter had hung around for a year or so unsent, before someone came across it and sent it anonymously to FW? That would certainly be intriguing.

BTW, I have long thought that the old 'Poste Restante' sign (ubiquitous in the LVP) would explain why our dopey diarist thought Maybrick's Post House and post haste deserved the French touch, with an e on the post. French was evidently not the diarist's forté, if the humorously grotesque 'rondaveau' (just a few words before the Poste House is mentioned) is anything to go by. But was this a canny hoaxer portraying James as a jumped up nouveau riche merchant, or a late 20th century faker who unaccountably composed the whole 63 pages of text without thinking it might be worth consulting a dictionary before putting pen to paper?

Love,

Caz
        X
        I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Now I've got the search button, I find a couple of threads that are related to the Ripper Confession thread with a Maybrick reference

The envelope on this thread belongs to the letter in APs first post

This was the one in which the handwriting is supposed to be significant in that it matches that supposedly found under an arch - a man was witnessed writing "There will be no more murders from Jack the Ripper" or similar

The 88/89 letter was more significant in that it purported to be a genuine true Ripper letter as it undoubtedly predicted Kelly's death on 9th Nov 1888

In Letters from Hell you can see a number of letters predicting a murder on Nov 9th 1889

This letter is among those

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline Morris View Post
            Hi All,

Is it me or is the date on the postmark Oct 7 89?

If so, the letter (clearly dated Oct 19th top and bottom) would not appear to have been sent in that particular envelope, whether the year was meant to be 1888 or altered from 1889.

Is it possible that the letter had hung around for a year or so unsent, before someone came across it and sent it anonymously to FW? That would certainly be intriguing.

BTW, I have long thought that the old 'Poste Restante' sign (ubiquitous in the LVP) would explain why our dopey diarist thought Maybrick's Post House and post haste deserved the French touch, with an e on the post. French was evidently not the diarist's forté, if the humorously grotesque 'rondaveau' (just a few words before the Poste House is mentioned) is anything to go by. But was this a canny hoaxer portraying James as a jumped up nouveau riche merchant, or a late 20th century faker who unaccountably composed the whole 63 pages of text without thinking it might be worth consulting a dictionary before putting pen to paper?

Love,

Caz
            X
            Hi Caz

We have discussed before over on Casebook, as I recall, that the envelope and letter (at least the supposed October 19 1889 one) don't seem to belong together. The other thing to be said is that if Winslow changed the date of the letter from 1889 to 1888, that's meddling with the letter (evidence?) but not exactly forgery.

C
            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Working...
            X