I didn't know this...did you ?

Billings Gazette
    April 12, 1931
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Yes. Where have you been?

Comment

Tim:

I didn't know that a female detective was the one who brought that beast to justice. I know you seem to know everything...but did you know that ( note sarcasm in comment) ?
      I was just talking here with Nina and the mutual conclusion was that there was no punishment that you could mete out to Kurten that would be satisfactory. This pig wrote letters to victim's parents ( One woman may have gone insane...I was unable to follow up the article which mentioned her fragile mental state).
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Howard, Howard, Howard.....

Peter Kurten's story, including how he was identified and apprehended, is found in the 'Beyond the Grave' section of Donald Rumbelow's book The Complete Jack the Ripper. I know you don't get out much, but I suppose that you have heard of him?

Without rereading the whole thing, I cannot verify that Kurten wrote parents of children that he murdered, but that does not sound familiar. Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Albert Fish, who did do those things?

Kurten was executed by guillotine, which seems a satisfactory enough punishment to me. I hear that the executioner flipped him for it - tails he won, heads he lost.

But you did get the 'a', 'and', and 'the' right in your post so it wasn't a total loss.

Comment

Without rereading the whole thing, I cannot verify that Kurten wrote parents of children that he murdered, but that does not sound familiar. Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Albert Fish, who did do those things?

Nope. Kurten did write to at least one parent ( I read the article tonight...I'll be going back into the 1920's tomorrow...if I get a chance, I'll see if I can locate that remark).
          Its also a myth that Fritz Lang developed "M" as a result of Kurten's skein.
          I know you didn't know that.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Come?
            Its also a myth that Fritz Lang developed "M" as a result of Kurten's skein.
            I know you didn't know that.
            I dunno, Howard; the Philadelphia Inquirer isn't that reliable of a source for information such as this. The following is from the IMDb concerning the film 'M':
            Based on an article Fritz Lang read about the serial killer Peter Kuerten from Duesseldorf. Details have been changed but some things resemble reality.
            Also:
            M is supposedly based on the real-life case of serial killer Peter Kürten, the "Vampire of Düsseldorf", whose crimes took place in the 1920s, but Fritz Lang expressly denied that he drew any inspiration from the case.
            And:
            Reputedly based on Peter Kurten, the Vampire of Dusseldorf, a serial killer whose crimes horrified Germany in between the wars. Although Fritz Lang always denied that Kurten was the subject, nevertheless he and his wife Thea von Harbou researched the crimes carefully, consulting with the German police force, visiting murder scenes, interviewing sex offenders in prison and even talking to detectives in Scotland Yard in London. According to Lang biographer Paul Jensen, the director spent eight days doing field research in a mental institution.

Please cite the source for your iconoclastic and contrarian information, if it isn't too embarrassing.

BTW, I did reread the section in Rumberlow's book concerning Kurten, and he states:
            .....he spent the time he had left writing to the families of thirteen of his victims asking for their pardon.

While Rumbelow states that Kurten did write the police in imitation of the Ripper letters, I cannot find mention that Kurten ever so wrote taunting letters to the families of his victims, only those letters described above.

Did you find this information about Kurten in the same place you found that about D'Onston circa 2004?

Comment

The IMBD as a final word ? I'm surprised you didn't use Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon as your source...or People Magazine. Unusual to see you mention anything as highbrow as the Inquirer ( renowned Pulitzer Prize newspaper). Funny that you people even heard of that down there in Northern Mexico.

Anyway....this is from Wikipedia, which as you might know, surfaced decades after Don Rumbelow's references to Kurten in his book ( I have an autographed copy...unlike you...sniff..)

Fritz Lang's 1931 film M, in which a serial child killer terrorizes a big city, is often said to have been based upon Kürten, but Lang denied that Kürten was an influence. Because of the similarities between Kürten and the film's villain, Hans Beckert, the film was known as The Vampire of Duesseldorf in some countries. While the location is never mentioned in the film, the dialect used by the characters and the several maps used throughout the film bearing the city's trademark bear symbol heavily suggest that the action takes place in Berlin.

If Lang says he didn't use it. thats good enough for me and Granny. And you too. So case closed.

The information unearthed on D'Onston ? Why from unimpeachable sources,thats where !
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

In any event, my initial question was in regard to who was responsible for the capture of the pig-man Kurten. I didn't know...and I'll bet a case of bourbon that you didn't either, but being the obstaining,obsturctio,pain in the backside you are, you'll say you did.
                I have spoken.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

This is the article which I was referring to, Tim.

Benton Harbor ( Mich) News-Palladium
                  November 21,1929
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Rumbelow names the girl who (indirectly) tipped off the police in regards to Kurten, if that's what you mean. Maria Budlick. At last, a woman named Maria B. who was actually of some use to someone somewhere and performed a great service without boasting. Hard to believe, I know. Berlin probably still hasn't gotten over it. Not to mention Barcelona.

Well, I wouldn't consult the IMDb for ripperological or criminological matters, but for anything pertaining to films they are all but unimpeachable. Thus I think the IMDb info trumps that wikipedia pair of deuces that you are proffering to the membership. wikipedia!?!?! Come on, now.

Originally posted by How Come?
                    Don Rumbelow's references to Kurten in his book ( I have an autographed copy...unlike you...sniff..)
                    Actually, I have six (6) autographed copies, obtained during the 2002 RipCon in Baltimore, where I also had breakfast with him and discussed the book one morning. What's next - you gonna brag that you know someone who once met Andy Griffith? Or that you once helped run a message board with a ripper author who hailed from the Isle of Wight?

Comment

I think that letter to the victim's family is probably written by someone other than Kurten - many people wrote letters claiming to be the Vampire

As far as I know, Kurten himself only wrote a couple of letters indicating where the bodies of some of his victims were to be found

Comment

Neems:

All I said was that I read an article which stated he wrote a letter to a victim's parent...which I have already provided with much sweat and toil. Now, at long last, you throw your hat in the ring alongside my morsel enemy, Tim Mosley....backing up this product of flatulence against me.

At last, a woman named Maria B. who was actually of some use to someone somewhere and performed a great service without boasting.-Sam Kinison Mosley

Finally...after many,many years...a humourous remark worth reading.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

My thoughts on this.

The vampire Of Dusseldorf, I read about him in High school and whenever I picture him in my head I think of Nosferatu from Marnu classic film. What an evil disgusting individual. I never knew it was a lady who caught him. Good for her. somebody should do a movie about this and call it "Lady Cop & The Fiend.

I don't remember him writing his victims families but he might of read about Albert Fish doing that or vice versa. Now Fish was a vicious lil ...... I read about him too sorry to say. I can't believe that girls parents bought his story and let him take their daughter (to be butchered it turns out) so easily. Yes I know the man was an excellent liar and sadist too, me thinks but still....

Fritz Lang.... I loved his Metropolis.. I really loved his proto fembot. I believe he got the used Kurten for his killer in M. Now I want to see that film. The reason I believe that he did that is that Daphne du Maurierdid the same thing taking the true tale of some murders from about 1811 that happened at The Kings Arms an Inn, which I brought up before and using it to write her classic Jamaica Inn.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=11725

Just my 2 cents worth

Comment

Working...
                          X