No announcement yet.

Jack The Stripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think he changed his name after he moved in the late 1950 after the Ukrainian was killed at the end of his road.
    After his release from jail in 1941 he seems to have established a stable and blameless family life up to his death in the early 1970s and his daughter still thinks he was a devoted father.

Comment

• Hi Ed

Here is the piece I took the information from. Whether it is a known fact or assumption on the authors part I am honestly not sure. -

Neil Milkins was researching the murders of two young girls in his Welsh hometown that had occurred in 1921 when he stumbled upon links to the Stripper murders. Harold Jones, 15 in 1921, had given his reasons for killing the two young girls simply as a “desire to kill.” Labeled as a dangerous psychopath Jones was incarcerated until the age of 35 when he was released in 1941. Jones was released against the strong advocacy of the governor and prison psychiatrist to keep him locked away. Upon his release, Jones immediately changed his name and moved away.

Tracy
      If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

Comment

• Bizarre thing to do - 'Jones' is just about the best cover there is (with the exception of 'Smith'). Maybe if he changed the Harold to David, that I could understand.

Comment

• Facebook site:

I'm thinking of starting a Facebook site to campaign for access to the Hammersmith Nude PO files

Wondered if anyone here might be interested in joining?

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Yeah I'd be interested.
            Dick Kirby has a book coming out in September, being ex-police he may havehad access to items we don't?

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
              Yeah I'd be interested.
              Dick Kirby has a book coming out in September, being ex-police he may havehad access to items we don't?

Rob
              HI ROB

Yes I heard this in a recent email...

There are a number of new theories that will appear shortly but unlike the JtR murders I'm very much on the fence...

That said I can not see why the files are still closed and surely the families have the right to know the truth

I'll keep you informed of progress

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
                HI ROB

Yes I heard this in a recent email...

There are a number of new theories that will appear shortly but unlike the JtR murders I'm very much on the fence...

That said I can not see why the files are still closed and surely the families have the right to know the truth

I'll keep you informed of progress

Yours Jeff
                I thought it was because the case is unsolved and technically the person responsiblecould still be alive. So having the files looked at could be prejudice to any future case.
                If he was 18 in say 1963 that would make him about 71 now. so possibly he could still be alive.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
                  Facebook site:

I'm thinking of starting a Facebook site to campaign for access to the Hammersmith Nude PO files

Wondered if anyone here might be interested in joining?

Yours Jeff
                  Yes I would

Comment

I thought it was because the case is unsolved and technically the person responsiblecould still be alive. So having the files looked at could be prejudice to any future case.
                    If he was 18 in say 1963 that would make him about 71 now. so possibly he could still be alive.
                    The exemption relating to prejudicing the detection of crime was one of three cited by the National Archives in an email posted by Jeff a couple of years ago:
                    http://www.jtrforums.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=138
                    But according to the Information Commissioner's guidance that would require there to be a "real and significant" risk of prejudice, so there would be scope for it to be challenged.

Another exemption related to endangering health and safety. Probably that means the mental health of people associated with the case. That might also be successfully challenged (it was rejected by the Tribunal in relation to a case I am researching - though the crime scene photographs didn't form part of that appeal).

But a think the major problem with these files would be the third exemption, prohibiting the unfair disclosure of personal information about people who may be living. The files are full of sensitive information about the activities of prostitutes and their clients. It's very difficult to see any practicable way around that. (The fact that David Seabrook was given access to the records and published copious extracts from them is unfortunately not of any help in terms of the law.)

Comment

• Originally posted by CGP View Post
                      The exemption relating to prejudicing the detection of crime was one of three cited by the National Archives in an email posted by Jeff a couple of years ago:
                      http://www.jtrforums.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=138
                      But according to the Information Commissioner's guidance that would require there to be a "real and significant" risk of prejudice, so there would be scope for it to be challenged.

Another exemption related to endangering health and safety. Probably that means the mental health of people associated with the case. That might also be successfully challenged (it was rejected by the Tribunal in relation to a case I am researching - though the crime scene photographs didn't form part of that appeal).

But a think the major problem with these files would be the third exemption, prohibiting the unfair disclosure of personal information about people who may be living. The files are full of sensitive information about the activities of prostitutes and their clients. It's very difficult to see any practicable way around that. (The fact that David Seabrook was given access to the records and published copious extracts from them is unfortunately not of any help in terms of the law.)
                      Thank you Chris,

That does sound familiar andI wonder if I have read it before (don't think it was Jeff's earlier post).
                      The third exemption is interesting as when John Bennett was working on his Krayology book he had access to the files at the NA And their were some names in that which could be classed as sensitive, mainly in the names of witnesses which have never been released before. The NA did not seem to class this as a problem.

Regard

Rob

Comment

Thank you Chris,

That does sound familiar andI wonder if I have read it before (don't think it was Jeff's earlier post).
                        The third exemption is interesting as when John Bennett was working on his Krayology book he had access to the files at the NA And their were some names in that which could be classed as sensitive, mainly in the names of witnesses which have never been released before. The NA did not seem to class this as a problem.

Regard

Rob
                        Freedom Of Information is the key factor with regards to files relating to police investigations which are still held by the police. Any requests made to view files held by the police are met with this response.

The exemption in section 30(2) is as follows:

Information held by a public authority is exempt information if—

(a) It was obtained or recorded by the authority for the purposes of its functions relating to—

(i) Investigations falling within subsection (1) (a) or (b),

(ii) Criminal proceedings which the authority has power to conduct,

(iii)Investigations (other than investigations falling within subsection (1) (a) or (b)) which are conducted by the authority for any of the purposes specified in section 31(2) and either by virtue of Her Majesty’s prerogative or by virtue of powers conferred by or under any enactment, or

(iv) Civil proceedings which are brought by or on behalf of the authority and arise out of such investigations, “and”

(b) It relates to the obtaining of information from confidential sources."

Freedom of Information requests

As the exemption is subject to the public interest test, a public authority must consider whether the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information. Although you do not have to identify some prejudice in order to engage the exemption, it will be an important factor when applying the public interest test.

I cannot see any files being previously viewed as stated which relate to more recent criminal cases.

In addition to the SB files I also tried to gain access to the Maybrick Diary Files and was met with the same response. With that being a more recent case there was no point in pursuing a FOI request to gain access.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

• Thanks Trevor.

The Hammersmith Nudes file is at the National Archives. I don't see why somebody can't go through he files and redact any sensitive information/names. I recently looked at a case from 1931 (the last entry was 1966 I believe) and names had been recently redacted out.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Trevor.

The Hammersmith Nudes file is at the National Archives. I don't see why somebody can't go through he files and redact any sensitive information/names. I recently looked at a case from 1931 (the last entry was 1966 I believe) and names had been recently redacted out.

Rob
                            Usually these type of files if being sent to the NA should be viewed beforehand and sensitive material redacted. It a question as to who does the redacting and what their knowledge is as to sensitive material.

As a rule of thumb it appears that just names are redacted out or anything that could identify a person.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                              Usually these type of files if being sent to the NA should be viewed beforehand and sensitive material redacted. It a question as to who does the redacting and what their knowledge is as to sensitive material.

As a rule of thumb it appears that just names are redacted out or anything that could identify a person.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                              It's my impression the NA did the redacting, would have to check. If so why should they be doing it? And what makes them qualified to do so? Unless they have guidlines to follow.

Rob

Comment

It's my impression the NA did the redacting, would have to check. If so why should they be doing it? And what makes them qualified to do so? Unless they have guidlines to follow.

Rob
                                Well it would be interesting to find out, but I still suspect they would be redacted before they reached the archives I doubt the archives would have the staff or the know how to redact files such as these.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X