Decoys In Manhunt For Jack The Stripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoys In Manhunt For Jack The Stripper

Don't you wish you had a dollar for every time you've read how the story you happened to be reading mentioned it was the biggest manhunt since Jack The Ripper ?
    I think I saw one dozen today.

Stars & Stripes
    April 28, 1964
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Another big manhunt with the same result - nothing!

Comment

Hi Howard,

Speaking of decoys, I've got an inquest from February 1889, a case of a woman who left her home and husband one evening, supposedly to visit her brother, and then turned up later that night hanging around a bridge and chatting up a man passing by on his way home, commenting on the weather, asking the way to Bow, and complaining about a pain in her side. The man went on home and left her there. In the morning, she was found dead with her dress pushed up. The cause of death determined to be exposure to cold with a weak heart.

This is when the part about decoys comes in. When testifying about his encounter with the woman, the man claimed to have "thought she was a detective", which made me remember the story of Detective Sergeant Robinson. A reference to the Ripper investigation, perhaps?

Dave

Comment

Dave:
        What a tragic tale....
        Do you happen to recall any names or other particulars so I can look that up and post it ?

P.S...I wouldn't doubt it Dave...that the man's reaction was due to the Ripper.
        What other times did the police use decoys in the 1880's ?
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

It's one of Macdonald's that I photographed at the LMA. I'll transcribe it and put it up, if you like.

Dave

Comment

That would be terrific Dave !
            If it is too long, you can always send it to me in an email and I can put it up after converting it.

Thanks !!
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Howard,

Yeah, I'll send it to you because I haven't got photobucket down yet. It's not very long, but there's a part that I can't quite make out so a photograph or two might help. I'll have it to you shortly and you can put it up whenever it's convenient.

Dave

Comment

Sounds good Dave...I'll get it up tonight.
                The scan that is....
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Howard,

Hey, it's all good. I don't judge.

I've sent it all to you. Let me know if you don't get it--the photographs are pretty large.

Cheers,
                  Dave

Comment

Dave...
                    I've set up a thread here....although Mrs. Marshall wasn't a murder victim

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....920#post192920
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                    X