The Murder Series Which Shook A City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Murder Series Which Shook A City

Which 5 series of murders since Jack The Ripper, but including the Whitechapel Murders, caused great shakes and changes in their respective cities ?
    Just to be clear....the Green River Killer, Ted Bundy, Manson Family, Richard Speck, would not 'qualify', because Ridgway killed women and left them in different localities....Speck wasn't a s.k., fyi, and Bundy moved about.
    Two Russian maniacs, the Chessboard Killer and Rostov Ripper, were able to commit many of their murders before the Soviet police 'allowed' news of their deeds to materialize in the press.

In the top 5, for me, would be but not necessarily in order. Its too early.

Son Of Sam
    Yorkshire Ripper
    Atlanta Black Ripper
    ...and obviously the Whitechapel Murders.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

One other comment..
    Killers like Gacy, Dahmer, H.H. Holmes, or Heidnik, even Dennis Nilsen...ought not to be added.
    All committed large numbers of murders without anyone being the wiser. These slimeballs became 'knowns' after they were caught. There was no period of time in which their respective cities were captivated.

Not so with the 4 I listed in the first post....
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The Son Of Sam, David Berkowitz, may have also had the distinction of being the worst arsonist in NYC history.....
      He is, without a doubt, the source for 1470 arsons in the city.
      He documented it.
      Remember that the next time someone says its impossible that a serial killer would document his deeds.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

So.....which killers have been able to put a stranglehold on a city ?
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Strangely enough Howard, I was contemplating this aspect the other day when I was reading about Richard Ramirez, the Nightstalker, causing people to buy cardboard cutouts of people to put in their windows, extra locks and guns etc

Lucian Staniek, the Red Spider also caused a bit of havoc in a localised area, as did killers like the Hillside Stranglers, the Atlanta child murderer, and the Washington snipers

From the UK I'd suggest The Suffolk Strangler and possibly the Black Panther

The one with most effect of this nature was probably Peter Kurten, the Dusseldorf Vampire

Comment

All good ones, Paul....thanks !!!
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Nina wanted me to mention...
              The Zodiac
              Cleveland Torso Killer
              Axeman Of New Orleans
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The late trigger happy John Muhammed and sidekick Lee Malvo gets my vote according to your criteria, Howie.

Roy

Comment

Sydney's Granny Killer (John Wayne Glover) would nearly have to be on the list.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Glover
                  Tel
                  Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Comment

I'll add a few:
                    Boston Strangler(s?) - a little before my time.
                    Atlanta Child Murders - I actually remember news reports when I was about 10.

Comment

Good one Rob....the Boston Strangler is up there at the top....Nina suggested it yesterday but I forgot to add it.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                        Good one Rob....the Boston Strangler is up there at the top....Nina suggested it yesterday but I forgot to add it.
                        It's an interesting case. Two "waves" or "sprees." Radical age difference in victims - seems like women between 25 and 60 were safe. Different victim ethnic groups.

Comment

Working...
                        X