Transpacific Chase For Serial Killer ( Australia To San Francisco) 1897

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transpacific Chase For Serial Killer ( Australia To San Francisco) 1897

Strange that this event didn't get much coverage in the way the interest in the hunt for Crippen did 13 years later.
    This chase was expected to last for 25 days.

San Francisco Examiner
    January 5, 1897

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

From British Newspaper Archive

Found this in British newspaper archive. AUSTRALIAN BUSHFIRE MURDERS. BUTLER GIVE, AN ACCOUNT OF HIS EXPLOITS. Butler, the man who is awaiting his trial in Darlinhurst GCaol, Sycdney, for the murder of Captain Lee Weller and a young man named Preston at Glenbrook, New South Wales. was landed at Elizabeth Bay on April 27, as reported at the time, and handcuffed to two detectives, and with a rope fastened round his waist as an additional precaution. During the voyage from San Franoisco, in which port he was arrested on board the barque Swanhilda, he had to be carefully 'watched, as he was subject to frequent outbursts of temper. During these fits, says the "Melbourne Argus," he would strain upon his chain, scowl at the detec-tives or anyone else who might come within his range of vision, and curse thiem in the coarsest of language. It was after one of these displays of rage that he declared that his temper had been his downfall and added, 'My father died in a lunatic asylum, I inherited his temper.' When in a talkative mood Butler was full of of reminiscences which were so startling as to earn for him from one of the custodians the appellation of "A born liar." He declared that he came to Australia in 1892, landing at Fremantle, whence he walked 300 miles to the goldfields. On his way he stole a horse from a paddock nt Northam, sold it to a traveller for ?40, vas subsequently arrested, and sent to prison. Butler was questioned why, when in Sydney, he advertised for so many miners. and replied, "Because I wanted to get some ; I knew plenty of people in Sydney, but not miners." "Then why did you take Captain Lee WaIler'" 'Here he became silent, and spoke upon another subject. In every instance where the attempt was made to link hiim with any tragedies which took place in New South Wales, he made it apparent that the questions were irksome, Some statemeints made bv Butler when olf his guard imply that at the age of sixteen he knew of the murder of a boy, the disappearance of whom was never cleared up. "Ten years aho 1 might have been hanged for killing my wife" is another statement made by him while he also indicated that he might be able to clear up the mystery that surrounded the murder of a man at Cootamandra ? some time back,. To further has declared his abilitv to make startling reveintions to his career in West Australia.

Comment

Also this from Hull Daily Mail 4th Feb 1897 MOUNTAIN MURDERS. BUTLER INCRIMINATES HIS PARTNER. (REUTER'S TELEGRAM.) San Francisco, Thursday. Butler, arrested in connection with the Australian Mountain Murders, asserts miner, his partner, murdered Lee and Waller.

Comment

Thanks Pats !
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X